INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behavior when ripping CD in 22 with older versions on Mac  (Read 2249 times)

curtisls87

• Recent member
Behavior when ripping CD in 22 with older versions on Mac
« on: December 16, 2016, 05:08:52 pm »

I haven't seen this in the forum, although I might have missed it.

I have a Mac Mini that I've been using Media Center on long enough that I have a copy of 20, 21, and 22 on it. I only use version 22. I had reason today to start ripping a bunch of CDs, and have noted that when I first put a CD into the drive I attached to my Mini, MC 20 opened(I would then close it). Additionally, when I use the Rip tool in MC 22, at the end of the rip, MC 20 opens. This happens each time I rip a CD.

I''m not adverse to uninstalling the old versions, but not sure how to do so other than drag and drop into the trash bin, but I suspect that's not a good idea because somewhere in the Mac OS, it knows to use MC 20 as the default program for the CD.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Behavior when ripping CD in 22 with older versions on Mac
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:32:39 pm »

Try changing the settings in MC20 and in MC22.  Tools > File Types > CD Audio.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 10:29:08 am »

You probably have OSX set to open MC20 upon CD insert.  You can find these settings at:

Mac System Preferences > CDs & DVDs > when you insert a music CD

Brian.

curtisls87

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 12:44:38 pm »

Thanks, folks. I did indeed have the CD&DVDs set to open with MC20. What made it weird is that I don't keep the external CD/DVD drive connected, and that icon only shows when it is actually connected. Set it to MC22 and worked as desired.

Would still appreciate any information on uninstalling older versions on a Mac. Is it as simple as sending the application to Trash?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 12:51:28 pm »

Dragging MC20 to the trash will certainly remove the executable file entirely.  MC20 will no longer run on that machine until it is reinstalled.

If you want to really clean everything up, you might want to delete some of the files and folders under:

~/Library/Application Support/JRiver

There should be individual folders per version of MC.  But BE CAREFUL!  In some cases you might have cover art or other files and folders from an older version, which are still being used by the current version.  I'm not 100% sure, which is why I'm telling you to be careful and look around.

Or just leave those files and folders alone.  They are going to be very small and take up almost no space.  Unlike Windows, these aren't registry entries or DLLs or anything else that "contaminates" the OS.  So it's safe to leave them where they sit and not really be risking anything.

Brian.

curtisls87

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 08:03:20 pm »

Great! Thanks for the quick reply, I'll at least put MC20 in the trash, and take a look at the /library/application support/JRiver files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up