INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: distortion  (Read 2479 times)

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
distortion
« on: December 19, 2016, 02:34:46 am »

Hi, i make use of jriver mediacenter v22 on windows with great pleasure i must say but i experience some strange distortion of the sound after a playing for a while (sometimes after minutes , sometimes after hours).   My setup is JRiver 22 on Windows 7 on my laptop using  the ASIO Fireface USB driver from my RME Fireface device which is usb connected to my laptop. My music is located on my Synology NAS. In most cases stopping the song that plays and restarting gets rid of the highly present noise / distortion but in some cases i have to kill the mediacenter process and sometimes i also have to unplug/plug my usb cable to the audio device.   Any idea where this issue might be ?
When playing a movie i do not have this problem i think.

Thanks Koen

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: distortion
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 03:11:19 am »

• How is the Synology connected to the PC (via WiFi or Ethernet)?
  • Do you have an antivirus program scanning the music files?
  • Is the Synology trying to go to sleep?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 03:42:59 am »

Hi andrew,

1) ethernet (wifi is switched off)
2) my av is not scanning the network connected drives on the nas (just my c drive)
3) when i click on the network share where the music is located the response is immediate so i guess it is not a sleep or trying to since it has to read a new file for every song

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:51:26 am »

Please try updating to the build at the top of the MC22 board.

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 06:58:26 am »

hi, done that already (22.0.32) ..   this problem exists for a longer period over several versions of mc.. it might even have nothing todo with jriver mediacenter  .. this morning after 10 minutes the sound started to distort and i stop started the song .. now it plays for 2 hours without  issue .. 
i updated my rme asio driver recently to latest version.. i play songs from memory and the whole song is loaded intially

looking  for ways to pin point the issue

thanks

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 07:14:27 am »

hi, was just looking at some mc hints & tips and found ; Poor Audio Quality, Skipping, File Ends Prematurely, or Sound Output is Garbled:

>>>Disable "advanced" Audio Options such as Play files from memory, Bitstreaming, and custom Live Latency settings.

why would disabling playing files from memory be of help here ?

currently is have that setting switched on  (i have bitstreaming off as suggested)

thanks koen

ps. i have switched playinmg from memory off now and i changed asio buffering from 500 ms to the recommended 50 ms .. although i am not sure if it has anyting todo with my issue

Trumpetguy

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 07:47:35 am »

You should check your BIOS settings. This sounds a bit like my previous mobo problems with my ASUS mobo, running ASIO to my LynxTwo+Aurora DACs. It happened when playing high bitrate music, such as all hirez and also any multichannel content.

I don't have all the correct terms at hand now, but I disabled three options. Was it "L3 cache" and two others with similar names?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 09:49:22 am »

Try playing with the "Windows Resource Monitor" open. Then you can watch memory, cpu, and disk activity to see if anything happens with those at the same time as the distortion starts.

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 09:53:35 am »

hi, thanks all, will do that, in the mean time i did not experience a problem today after changing those 2 parameters as mentioned in my previous post
Pages: [1]   Go Up