INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker & DSP Help  (Read 3113 times)

trash116

• Recent member
Speaker & DSP Help
« on: December 23, 2016, 08:34:07 am »

Hi

I'm slowly getting to grips with JRiver (which I'm finding brilliant).   I've also purchased a Sony H.ear Go SRS HG1 speaker (it's wifi, Bluetooth, and DNLA enabled).

The speaker is connected to my wifi, and appears on JRiver MC (I think as a "zone") and I've got the MC playing to the speaker - really pleased.

I just wondered if there is anyway  I can use the DSP facilities when playing to the speaker (equaliser, volume levelling etc) - when I try to it says DSP is only available for local zones -- is there anything I can do?

The default zone is called "Player" and outputs to my TV (JRiver is on my NUC which is connected to my TV) - could I solve the above problem by outputting the "player zone" to the speaker? - if so I cant seem to work out how to do this?

Would another idea be to output via a 3rd party equalizer like DFX (don't know how to do this either)?

Thanks in advance for any help - and apologies if these are basic questions

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Speaker & DSP Help
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 10:14:54 am »

Try searching for "DSP over DLNA" here and on Google.

trash116

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 02:17:36 pm »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the pointer - I've done some googling and looked on here as per your recommendation....

I'm still lost --- its probably my own fault as I'm not the most technically skilled person,,,,

If you or anyone else can give me some more detailed help it would be much appreciated

Thanks
Marc

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 10:28:38 pm »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the pointer - I've done some googling and looked on here as per your recommendation....

I'm still lost --- its probably my own fault as I'm not the most technically skilled person,,,,

If you or anyone else can give me some more detailed help it would be much appreciated

Thanks
Marc

I’m glad you’ve found the awesomeness of JRiver and are enjoying it! This is not going to be a popular opinion, but why are you using DSP? The only time when DSP should be used is when you are compensating for a weakness in the sound coming out of your speakers or the acoustical environment they’re in. The music you’re listening to has already been professionally mixed and mastered. The fact that you use JRiver only increases the odds that the music you’re listening to is “audiophile” grade. Hi-res PCM, vinyl, and DSD albums especially are mixed and mastered by some of the best engineers. If your rebuttal is that DSP sounds better then why didn’t the album go out that way? There are many audiophiles on this forum that are much more knowledgable than me about many things, but from an audio engineer’s perspective DSP makes no sense.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 02:46:22 am »

The only time when DSP should be used is when you are compensating for a weakness in the sound coming out of your speakers or the acoustical environment they’re in.

So basically this (the only time) is pretty much "all the time"  :)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 08:57:42 am »

So basically this (the only time) is pretty much "all the time"  :)

Exactly; all speakers and listening environments are imperfect, and most of them have non-linearities that are correctable in DSP. 

Someone out there may be listening to speakers that are ruler flat from DC to daylight in an anechoic chamber.  They probably don't need DSP (unless they want a house curve  ;D)
Pages: [1]   Go Up