INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Network not visible to my Roku (2) and Sony(3) devices  (Read 4184 times)

Cornan

Media Network not visible to my Roku (2) and Sony(3) devices
« on: December 25, 2016, 09:02:51 am »

As I discovered previously with Windows Media Player (turned off) and Serviio (now un-installed), none of my LAN or WiFi-connected A/V devices can see JRiver's Media Center:

Sony STR-DA3600ES receiver (WiFi)
Roku 2 (WiFi)
Sony STR-DA5700ES receiver (LAN)
Roku 3 (LAN)
Sony XBR-55X900B television (LAN)

None of these devices show any presence of my PC with JRiver. 

Here is how I prepared:
  • I uninstalled serviio (maybe two weeks ago)
  • I opened Windows Media Player and unchecked "Automatically allow devices to play my media..."
  • I installed JRiver, enabled Media Network and added both "Legacy UPnP" and "Sony BD/TV"

To be sure, sometimes, some devices see one or more of my other desktops and laptops and can play files from them, and sometimes devices have seen my main PC (where I have JRiver loaded now).

The LAN connected devices are connected as follows:
AT&T U-Verse router --> hub on back of a Netgear NightHawk R7000 set up as an access point --> the hub on the back of the Sony STR-DA5700ES receiver.

The WiFi connected devices use the wireless provided directly by the AT&T UVerse router.

I have Norton AntiVirus installed (on the main PC as well as on the laptops that sometimes serve DLNA okay).

Windows 7 firewall is OFF.

I've been surprised that nobody has developed a DLNA diagnostic program for Windows, given that I'm far from the only person to find it finicky.

Can you help me get JRiver to serve DLNA to any of the five devices mentioned above?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Network not visible to my Roku (2) and Sony(3) devices
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 09:09:03 am »

That sounds like a network problem, not a DLNA problem.  Firewall, routing, etc.

Double check your firewall settings.

Try uninstalling Norton.

Use the Generic DLNA Server in MC.  Reboot after changing it.

Is it possible you have two devices acting as DHCP servers?  That won't work.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 09:46:40 am »

And make sure all devices have IP addresses on the same subnet that the router is set to route traffic for..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Cornan

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 11:55:13 am »

Aren't there any DLNA / UPnP diagnostic programs or features in JRiver?  Just trial and error?

I've certainly read of other people having difficulty connecting - I'm amazed there appear to be no diagnostics at all.

And make sure all devices have IP addresses on the same subnet that the router is set to route traffic for..

Already true - there is only one router and one access point.  Everything is on 192.168.1....

Double check your firewall settings.

Absolutely, definitely OFF - I never use Windows Firewall.

Try uninstalling Norton.

Why would I uninstall Norton?  I've disabled realtime protection during tests, to no effect.

I also have Norton AntiVirus installed on other computers where DLNA is at least partially accessible.

Is it possible you have two devices acting as DHCP servers?  That won't work.

No evidence of it - only one router connected to one access point.  No servers.  Only a peer network connected to AT&T U-Verse.

I will try rebooting after removing Sony BD/TV, leaving only "Generic".  Will let you-all know.

I've read elsewhere (Serviio?) that DLNA requires certain types of packet, and while I can't find any evidence of any filtering on any device (except from the WAN, of course), if I had a diagnostic I could certainly investigate further.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 03:56:39 pm »

Aren't there any DLNA / UPnP diagnostic programs or features in JRiver?  Just trial and error?

Try downloading the DMR Analyzer from my sig, and let us know if that finds your renderers..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

Cornan

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 07:48:11 am »

I used the "Email" option after DMR found Windows Media Player just once of the 8-10 times I ran the program.

It never found JRiver, but hopefully there will be some clues from the one time if found WMP.

In technical terms, what does it mean when DMR can't find the DLNA renderer?  I was thinking this would be what DMR was going to analyze (for example, if DMR sent some UDP packet and failed to receive a response, it could say "no response to UDP packet xyz").

I'm a little surprised there is no technical feedback for the "can't find" message itself.  Or is there a program log that might contain the diagnostics for the detection itself?

Thanks in advance for giving the file I uploaded some attention.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 08:05:50 am »

Try powering everything off and back on, including the network.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 10:48:05 am »

It never found JRiver, but hopefully there will be some clues from the one time if found WMP.

In technical terms, what does it mean when DMR can't find the DLNA renderer?  I was thinking this would be what DMR was going to analyze (for example, if DMR sent some UDP packet and failed to receive a response, it could say "no response to UDP packet xyz").

I'm a little surprised there is no technical feedback for the "can't find" message itself.  Or is there a program log that might contain the diagnostics for the detection itself?

If the DMR cannot find your renderers, and MC cannot find them either. It means - well - that your renderers cannot be found. If the DMRA cannot find the devices, it obviously cannot talk to them to diagnose them. This is rather fundamental. This may mean one of the following things..

• Perhaps the renderer does not support the UPnP Digital Media Renderer specification
  • Perhaps you have a firewall blocking traffic to your PC
  • Perhaps you have AV software blocking traffic to your PC
  • Perhaps the renderers and the PC are on different sub-nets (what are their IP addresses?)
  • Perhaps the renderers or the PC have static IPs outside the scope of your router
  • Perhaps the renderers or the PC or something else are using the same IP addresses

Alpar

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 02:12:51 pm »

I am new to DLNA and music streaming, but I feel I have a similar issue. Recently I have purchased an M12 (DLNA renderer) from Bricasti Design. It worked fine for some weeks, but now it does not register any more in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Centre\Media streaming options", although JRiver MC22 sometimes can find it, and stream to it. Strange !? Then there are times, when even MC22 cannot see my DLNA renderer. Tried rebooting the system (router, PC, renderer), but nothing seems to work. Then, for example the next morning all just go fine.

I have my PC and the renderer connected to a router, and my PC runs Windows 10. Any advice?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 03:16:52 pm »

^
Yes. Follow the advice that I already gave in this thread.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 06:03:59 pm »

and this thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,108868.0.html

The problem there was the network configuration. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up