INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import and Smartlist problems  (Read 3808 times)

sadaunhe1

• Recent member
Import and Smartlist problems
« on: December 26, 2016, 12:09:37 am »

Hello, I am sorry to bother with what is probably a series of basic questions, but I am having all kinds of import and playlist problems with MC22. I cannot find the answer to my questions; I suppose that's because they are so basic. Please bear with me, while I try to describe what I've seen.

I imported 4 albums, tonight. All of them went different places, despite my having checked the import settings prior to running the rip (the import was running as a rip from CD to NAS). Here are the settings I used: Folder rule: [Genre]\[Artist]\[Album]. I realized that two of the albums apparently do not contain genre metadata. Apparently, that caused MC22 to create a new folder called "Unknown genre", into which it dumped 2 of the four disc rips. The other two discs went two different places, as dictated by the artist/album logic, as expected. The real problems started when I tried to move the files to where I wanted them. MC22 lost track of them and could not find them again, even after the playlist I'd created was refreshed. Here are my import questions:

(1) Is there a way to determine that the genre data are missing, before the import?
(2) Apparently, refreshing the playlists doesn't reapply the logic in a manner that allows MC 22 to reconnect to files that have been moved?
(3) If (2) is true, apparently, it's necessary to repeat the import into MC22?
(4) Repeating the import seemed to fix the problems with playback and with reconnecting to the playlists, but I run MC22 on four separate systems in my home. Must I repeat the import on all four systems? Or is there a simpler way to deal with this that I haven't found?

With the playlists, I cannot seem to get the sort order in the Smartlists the way I want it. First, I would like the lists sorted: Date Imported (descending), Artist (ascending), Album (ascending), track# (ascending). Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to make this work, either automatically or manually. I always seem to end up with the tracks in descending order, if they are less than the first item in the hierarchy. This is, obviously, not the way to sort things, if you like to play albums, as I do. Right now, the sort modifiers in the smartlists are as follows: Date imported (z-a); Artist (a-z); Album (a-z); Track# (a-z). To me, it seems as though this should work. What the heck am I doing wrong?!

Please help a novice user!

Scott D.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Import and Smartlist problems
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 02:47:12 am »

There's many many different ways to run MC and it's database/file structure. I'll give you my 2p that may address some of your issues.

Personally I find 'genre' as too vague/inconsistent/far too many albums fall under 'pop/rock' to be of use to me so I just import to [Artist]/[Album] file structure. Technically it doesn't matter as the MC database means it actually doesn't matter where the files are, but Artist/Album is nice and logical for me.

Whatever you're using to 'rip' your albums it didn't populate the track metadata. I'd look at this area first to get the info into the tracks before you import otherwise you'll have to fix it later and potentially move/fix things in MC later - this is more work than you need to do.

Personally I rip using DBpoweramp and view/edit/verify tags with MP3Tag (although unless it's a multi CD album DBpoweramp populates all tags correctly so I actually really don't need to use MP3Tag - it's more of a confidence thing). I then copy the files to the right place in my media folder on MC (I rip on a machine with multiple CD drives that's not my MC machine).

MP3Tag will show you at a glance if any tags are missing, it can go to remote sources and populate missing tags to save you typing.

Re-running the import will indeed re-read the tags and populate MCs database with the updated information.

It's normal (well at least simplest) to run one MC 'master' with the other machines running as clients. This means there's only one copy of the music files and one MC database; sounds like you're running 4 separate instances of MC. While this is possible it's more work than the 'master'/client option.

Once you've got the files in the file structure you're after and suitably tagged I'd then I'd look into your smartlists. 'views' may be a better way forward.

Spike

sadaunhe1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 01:50:20 pm »

Spike, I apologize for taking so long to reply to you. Just getting back to address these issues. You are correct that I am running 4 separate instances... I understand your suggesting, conceptually, but...

1. How do you configure an instance of MC22 as a client. Specifically, my Win10 desktop seems to deal with MC22 best, in that it seems to produce the most stable database. From what you've said, it's possible to configure the Macs as clients. Where do I look for the settings do do this?
2. Is it possible to do this for the laptops, which are obviously routinely on and off the network, as well?

I'll check out the other software you've suggested (DBpoweramp and MP3Tag.

Thanks, again, for your detailed response.

Scott D.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 04:02:18 pm »

Folder rule: [Genre]\[Artist]\[Album]. I realized that two of the albums apparently do not contain genre metadata.

As Spike suggested, I would eliminate the Genre from the folder structure.  If you really want to use it, I would do it after import.  I would have MC move the files around for you, after you validate and/or edit the Genre tags.

The real problems started when I tried to move the files to where I wanted them. MC22 lost track of them and could not find them again, even after the playlist I'd created was refreshed.

Moving files around outside of MC, without "telling MC" that you moved files, can cause unwanted behavior.  The solution is simple:  Use MC to move the files instead.  The Rename, Move, and Copy files tool is designed to do exactly this for you.  It's very very powerful and a great tool:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Not sure about your playlist sorting.  I just tried it the way you said and it seemed to work for me, but I had to fiddle with it several times.  There may be some subtle interaction that I'm not aware of.

Why do you care to sort by import date? That seems to just confuse things.

Brian.

Spike1000

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 04:30:53 am »

1. How do you configure an instance of MC22 as a client.

2. Is it possible to do this for the laptops, which are obviously routinely on and off the network, as well?

On the 'master' enable:
Tools | Options | Media Network  | Use media network to share this library and enable DLNA
This gives you an 'access key'

On the 'client'
File | Library | Connect to remote library
and enter the details of the master machine and the access key.

Yes you can do this on laptops, but they have to be able to see the master on the network (ie the master has to be powered on and have access to your music files!) to use the MC Library on the master PC.

If you want to update/edit the master Library from a client I believe you have to enable 'authentication' rather than just just use the access key. (this isn't something I do)

Access to the Master from a laptop on a different network (eg remotely over the internet) is possible but needs some network configuration to be done.

Spike

sadaunhe1

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 01:31:54 pm »

Spike and Brian,

Thanks for your help. I'll play around with this and see what I can accomplish (or break, in my case). One (I think one) clarification... What I need to do, I think, is make the Win10 machine the server and run client status on the other computers in the house. However, I store all the media files on NAS. How will this affect my ability to create this server/client environment?

Scott D.

Spike1000

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 03:45:00 pm »

The 'Master' 'NAS' thing makes no difference. You just need to have the master and the NAS on to use a client.

You could just access the files on the NAS from any machine but then you have multiple MC databases and you have to re-create your views/play lists/edits multiple times (ie on each client) and that's a waste of your time.

Also look at this setting on the master:

Tools | Options... | Media Network | Client Options (when connected...) | Audio Conversion | Conversion: Don't convert audio (SELECT)

Otherwise the master can convert file to a lower quality (eg MP3) before sending it to a client. This is probably not what you want. . .

Spike

sadaunhe1

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 03:51:26 pm »

Hello, Spike,

I tried dBpoweramp, today, to import the recent Norah Jones album. The album ripped in great form. Furthermore, using the Move function, in MC22, to move the files onto my server placed them cleanly and accurately, with all labels intact. Thanks for the great advice.

I checked the setting you recommended and changed it to "Don't convert". Once I've cleaned up all the database errors that seem to be everywhere in my library, I'll try to set up one of my Macs as a client.

Scott D.

Spike1000

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 10:56:08 pm »

I checked the setting you recommended and changed it to "Don't convert".
Thinking/re-reading this again; this could well be a client setting (rather than a master setting). Sorry, I'm doing this from memory.
The 'Display' at the top of MC can show the file type being played. Right click and select customise; this is what I use.

[Elapsed Time] // [Total Time] // [Remaining Time] - [Bit Depth] bit-[Sample Rate] kHz-[Bitrate (labeled)]-[Channels] Channel-[File Type] - [PN Position] of [PN Tracks]  [Zone]

Spike

sadaunhe1

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 01:31:42 pm »

Thanks, Spike. I've set this up in my server window. Next, I'll see what happens, when I set up a client.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up