INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion for new UPnP client device  (Read 5450 times)

davisford

• World Citizen
Suggestion for new UPnP client device
« on: December 26, 2016, 04:15:00 pm »

I've had a Roku M1000 (1st gen. device) for about 15 years.  Today it died, and I need a replacement.  The device was simple, but did a great job.  It had an Ethernet jack, WiFi (which I did not use), and just simple stereo out for analog audio.  It also had an optical audio output.

I plugged it into my LAN, plugged the analog audio out into my receiver, and used the remote to connect to Media Center and stream my whole collection to the house. 

Now that it has died, I am looking for a replacement.   It looks like Roku is entirely focused on streaming video now, and I can't even tell from their product specs if they can do what I want.  I figured I would ask here.  I'm looking for a fairly simple replacement that can act as a UPnP/DLNA client for audio, works with Media Center, and has some type of either optical or stereo output jacks that I can plug into my receiver. 

Can anyone recommend something?

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Suggestion for new UPnP client device
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:24:15 am »

There are loads of audio streamers out there. I went for Cambridge audio CXN .

It has coax optical and analogue outputs and on onboard DAC. I use via jremote

Have you looked at Micro Rendu , very basic but apparently very good but only LAN in USB out

Mike

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 06:42:34 pm »

Take a look at the Chromecast Audio. It uses UPnP,  has analog and optical out and works with MC. It is wireless only, I believe. Look for the Chromecast Audio threads in this forum. $35. 

Whatever you choose, I would look at optical rather than analog if your receiver takes it. The DAC in the receiver is probably better than one is one of these simple devices.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 07:08:49 pm »

I don't mean to be negative but...

I've read of many problems with the Cambridge CXN.  I also think that Chromecast audio support does not work directly from MC.  I recall that none of the CC devices support DLNA/UPNP and require a third party solution.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:38:06 pm »

Brian - check this out. Pretty sure Chromecast Audio can be used with UPnP and MC. I don't use this, but from that and other threads, I think CA does work with MC and UPnP.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,100512.msg714002.html#msg714002

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 07:52:28 pm »

^ But doesn't that require the Bubble UPNP server to be installed and configured and working to communicate with the CCA?  That's what I meant by 3rd party software.  I'm not saying it's not possible.  I'm saying it's not natively supported by MC.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:06:00 pm »

Here is direct support through Gizmo.

I've just pushed a new version of Gizmo to the play store and the website, which supports the ChromeCast Audio devices.
You may need to reboot the ChromeCast Audio to start working with Gizmo.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 08:11:59 pm »

Also, pretty sure Bubble UPnP on an Android device can read  the MC database through DLNA and output to a CCA as a DLNA renderer.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 08:23:13 pm »

So, I guess I see 3 potential solutions.

1) MC through Bubble UPnP server on the PC to the CCA. No Android device needed.

2) Gizmo on  Android to CCA

3) Bubble UPnP on Android to CCA

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 08:34:24 pm »

I respect you DTC.  Just for the record.

But none of the solutions you're pointing to are native.  They all require third party software and/or devices.  Again, I'm not saying it won't work.  I'm saying it's not native.  That's all.

For me, anything other than native is a no go.  There are always considerations, limitations, and interactions.  Nothing is the same as directly connected MC support.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 09:03:13 pm »

Brian -   Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, Bubble UPnP is not native. I understand that.  But is a relatively simple. An Android device like a Tab A is relatively inexpensive. The OP said he used a remote. The tablet is just a form of a remote in this case. A phone is also a possibility. These seem like possible solutions and are pretty easy to implement.

I did not see a requirement for a solution that does not require third party software or remote. If that is a requirement then I agree the CCA is not a solution.

Cost of CCA is $35 and with a Tab A it is under $200. Seems like a possible option. Of course there are others.

Castius

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 10:50:11 pm »

I have a tablet for doing this. I would still like JRiver to be able to send to Chromecast directly.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 02:36:48 am »

I might not understand the user requirement but why not an Id Pi fitted with a hifiberry for s/pdif out (digi+)? It's not a UPnP deal but who cares, so long as the music comes out where it needs to and the digital pathway is bit perfect.

Or, go for a Pi and build a Linux box but for an audio only renderer. That sounds like more effort than you need to go to but each to their own. Options are nice.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 07:25:52 am »

I have a tablet for doing this. I would still like JRiver to be able to send to Chromecast directly.

Then I believe you need to install UPnP server on the computer that has MC running. Take a look at the first link I posted. MC does not talk directly to a CCA. It needs UPnP server installed. Note there is a difference between a Chromecast and a Chromecast Audio. I have been talking about the Audio version (CCA).

An Id is another solution, but without UPnP. Not sure if you need UPnP for other reasons or not.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 11:43:49 am »

You can also use Pandora, Spotify and Tidal and other streaming apps on an Android device with the CCA.

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 08:26:19 pm »

I've had a Roku M1000 (1st gen. device) for about 15 years.  Today it died, and I need a replacement.  The device was simple, but did a great job.  It had an Ethernet jack, WiFi (which I did not use), and just simple stereo out for analog audio.  It also had an optical audio output.

I plugged it into my LAN, plugged the analog audio out into my receiver, and used the remote to connect to Media Center and stream my whole collection to the house. 

Now that it has died, I am looking for a replacement.   It looks like Roku is entirely focused on streaming video now, and I can't even tell from their product specs if they can do what I want.  I figured I would ask here.  I'm looking for a fairly simple replacement that can act as a UPnP/DLNA client for audio, works with Media Center, and has some type of either optical or stereo output jacks that I can plug into my receiver. 

Can anyone recommend something?

Are you looking for an appliance with a built-in DAC similar to the M1000?  Some years ago,  the answer would be squeezebox but that is gone too.  If you are not into audiophile quality sound, there are plenty of choices ranging from the low cost Chromecast Audio, DLNA compliant Blu-ray player, Amazon FireTV, Roku, Android TV or even Apple TV.  Beyond that, for audiophile quality playback devices, the JRiver Id or Yamaha WXC-50 would work.  Note the JRiver Id may need a DAC while the Yamanha WXC-50 or alike has one built-in.

Other all-in-one network players with a display are Pioneer N30, N50, N50a and Cambridge Audio's CXN.  But none of them alone can provide the feature set like JRiver.  The best way would be to combine them in a perfect DLNA setup.
Nelson
Pages: [1]   Go Up