INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pono Blue Light Instructions  (Read 7996 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Pono Blue Light Instructions
« on: December 31, 2016, 05:20:35 pm »

What to do if your Pono Blue Light is not shining in MC22

Background MC22.0.54 is the first release that supports the Blue Pono Light. There is a library tag called phc. That tag is what turns on the Blue Pono Light. As this tag was first introduced in 22.0.54, this tag may be empty in your library. If this is the case, the Blue Pono Light will not shine.

If you backed up your library in PMW, and restored it MC22, the phc tag should be populated. If you are on version 22.0.54 or later, the Blue Light Should shine. If you are on a version older than 22.0.54, the Blue Pono Light will not shine until you upgrade to MC22.0.54 or later.

If you imported your music into MC22 instead of restoring a PMW Library Back Up, there are 2 possibilities:
1) If you did the import into MC 22.0.54, the phc tag should be populated and the Blue Pono Light will shine.
2) If you did the import into a version earlier than MC 22.0.54, the phc tag will be empty and the Blue Pono Light will not shine.

To make the Blue Pono Light Shine

First make sure you are on MC version 22.0.54 or greater and expose the Pono column in your views.

Option 1
There are a couple of options to fix your library so that the phc tag is populated. The safest and fastest is to create a new library and import your music again. After this process the phc tag should be populated and the Blue Pono Light will shine. If you take this approach, your original library will still be there and you can switch back and forth between your libraries. 

To add an additional library go to: File->Library->Library manager->ADD LIBRARY
To toggle between libraries, go to: File->Library->SELECT THE LIBRARY

You can now re-import your music. The phc tag should be populated and the Blue Pono Light should shine.

Option 2
The other approach is to update your existing library based on the actual music file tags. This approach takes longer as MC22 will have to read your files and update the tags in the MC library to match. This is the approach I took, but I'm very familiar with my music files and my MC library. If you do not understand your music files and MC library, this approach may be riskier for you. Also, if you take this approach, it takes time. MC22 may appear to be frozen. LET IT FINISH. For me it took 2+ hours to do this step.

BEFORE STARTING, backup your library. File->Library->Back Up Library.

Select the tracks you want to update, right click->Library Tools->Update Library (from tags)

You can now re-import your music. The phc tag should be populated and the Blue Pono Light should shine.

If you take this approach, test it with a small number of files, confirming everything is as you expect it, before you proceed. Then you can update the entire library.

If you mess it up, restore your library. File->Library- Restore Library

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Pono Blue Instructions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 04:33:13 am »

Thanks, Randy!

JWLaviguer

• Recent member
Re: Pono Blue Light Instructions
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 10:26:49 am »

I purchased the correct version of the MC, and imported my library, but the Pono column is empty for every single track.

_zep.

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 02:18:30 pm »

Remove album from MC library
Import album back to MC library

Restart PC

Fingers crossed.....

JWLaviguer

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:16:42 pm »

Remove album from MC library
Import album back to MC library

Restart PC

Fingers crossed.....

Thanks Zep.  As I mentioned in the Pono community, I cleared my library, re-imported it all again, and the pono star shows up where it's supposed to.  That phc tag...not editable to put the pono star where it should be, like when I merge two tracks into one, where those two tracks have the star, now the new merged track does not.

bestanimalintheworld

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 02:58:50 pm »

i never understood why the blue light was a feature. it only works for hires music ordered thru pono...so you could have other hires music that is unlit...and you can just tap the screen to see the bit depth and sample rate. can anyone explain why they enjoy it?

_zep.

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 11:16:20 pm »

i never understood why the blue light was a feature. it only works for hires music ordered thru pono...so you could have other hires music that is unlit...and you can just tap the screen to see the bit depth and sample rate. can anyone explain why they enjoy it?

fixed it

bestanimalintheworld

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 08:47:00 am »

oh yeah – blue light works for pono music, but why is this a feature? why would someone need to know the song playing was bought from pono vs another source? just wanted to see if people really like this freature and if I'm missing something.

DJLegba

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 10:05:50 am »

oh yeah – blue light works for pono music, but why is this a feature? why would someone need to know the song playing was bought from pono vs another source? just wanted to see if people really like this freature and if I'm missing something.

The Pono music store, when it existed, had a policy that offered free upgrades if something you purchased was later offered at a higher resolution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up