INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to get bitstreaming workng with hi-def audio on new ASUS Essence One MKII  (Read 3175 times)

billyboy12

Hi guys,
I found a killer deal on an ASUS Essence One MKII so I bought it! I'm trying to get the "bit perfect" function of the device working with JRiver, since hey, it has the function, why not use it?

I think I've got it correctly setup, I've got the audio device to "ASUS EONE MKII USB DAC [ASIO]" and "Bitstreaming" is set to "DSD" (which the MKII is suppose to support).  When I play a CD-rip, the "bit perfect" LED on the unit lights up, so it looks like bit perfect is working.

But when I try to play a hi-def audio file (in .dsf and .dff format),  JRiver tells me "this output may not be supported by your hardware". If I have "DSD bitstream in DoP format" set to on, then I get two different problems:

1) Nothing. I can see the seek bar moving, the DAC changes to "176.4" but I can't hear anything. The volume bar in JRiver is also set to 0 and I can't move it back to 100.
2) JRiver tells me "does not support sample rate of 352800 Hz" instead. Which is fair enough, the Essence One MKII only appears to support up to 192KHz according to it's specs page. But going to DSP studio and setting everything higher than 192,00Hz to "192,00Hz" doesn't fix the problem.

Strangely, if I set "Bitstreaming" is set to "None" I can play these hi-def audio files and the "bit perfect" LED turns on. But doesn't seem right, shouldn't "bitstreaming" need to be enabled for "bit perfect" to work?

Any idea how to solve this problem? I've tried using WASAPI instead, but this results in the bit perfect light not lighting up, so it seems like WASAPI isn't running in exclusive mode, despite exclusive mode being enabled in the Windows sound settings for my DAC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Welcome.
Strangely, if I set "Bitstreaming" is set to "None" I can play these hi-def audio files and the "bit perfect" LED turns on. But doesn't seem right, shouldn't "bitstreaming" need to be enabled for "bit perfect" to work?
That's probably what you want to use.
Any idea how to solve this problem? I've tried using WASAPI instead, but this results in the bit perfect light not lighting up, so it seems like WASAPI isn't running in exclusive mode, despite exclusive mode being enabled in the Windows sound settings for my DAC.
The Exclusive setting is in MC's Audio Settings in the section just below where you chose the device.

billyboy12

Welcome.That's probably what you want to use.
Huh? You're saying that turning on bitstreaming isn't necessary for bit perfect to work? Wait, don't tell me that this setting is the same bitstreaming that's used on Bluray players to stream DTS and DD audio directly to the receiver!

The Exclusive setting is in MC's Audio Settings in the section just below where you chose the device.
I've got that enabled, but I still don't get the bit perfect LED...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

If it works, why not use it.

billyboy12

Fair enough. I just wanted to be sure it was actually working and not that I thought it was working but I actually didn't have it setup correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up