INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MadVR (Red October HQ) not working  (Read 5018 times)

gschaben1

• Recent member
MadVR (Red October HQ) not working
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:12:09 pm »

When attempting to use MadVR via Red October HQ in JRiver, I get a few seconds of audio only, and then the program crashes.

When using MadVR for output in MPC-HC (64-bit), playback is nearly perfect, with virtually no frame drops, repeats, delays or other issues.

I have copied the folder containing the latest version of MadVR to the JRiver/Media Center 19 plugins folder; the version that is automatically downloaded causes JRiver to crash immediately if I use Red October HQ.

Switching Hardware Acceleration and VideoClock on or off has no effect. Lowering the settings in MadVR (basically all scaling to Cubic, disabling 'extras' and checking all the 'trade quality for performance boxes', or even just resetting to default) has no effect. I use much higher settings in MPC-HC anyway. Red October Standard plays fine, but I can definitely see the difference and would like to use MadVR if possible in JRiver.

Hardware:  GPU - Sapphire Ultimate R7 250 (R7 200 series, fanless) with the latest AMD Radeon drivers (16.12.2), Samsung 840 EVO 250G SSD. Playback is over HDMI to Oppo BDP-103D (using the Darbee processing) to Panasonic TC-P55VT50. I'm playing 1080p/24 blu-ray MKV files from local drives.

Does JRiver require different settings in MadVR than MPC-HC for playback? Would upgrading to the latest version of JRiver help? I recall reading somewhere on the forum that MadVR is more tightly integrated in version 22.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MadVR (Red October HQ) not working in JRiver, but does in MPC-HC
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 05:34:46 pm »

You won't get very far by moving madVR around.  If you replaced the madVR that JRiver uses, please delete it.  MC will then download madVR again.  Don't make any changes to madVR settings.

MPC-HC would use the madVR you installed for it, not the one that MC uses.

This isn't a problem with MC19 and probably not with madVR. 

Odd behavior like this is often caused by antivirus software.

gschaben1

• Recent member
Re: MadVR (Red October HQ) not working
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:27 pm »

Jim,
 Thanks for the prompt response. As I stated in my original post, using the version of MadVR that JRiver downloads with the default settings via Red October HQ causes the program to crash immediately. I removed the stand-alone installation of MadVR that MPC-HC uses in case it was causing a conflict. I have turned off the only instance of antivirus software I have installed, Windows Defender, and the program still crashes using Red October HQ. I had created exceptions for both the folder and program in Defender in any case. I have also tried switching the automatic change mode in Display Settings on and off with no luck. Red October Standard still plays fine with any of the settings in Tools->Options->Video.
 Would it be worth trying an upgrade to version 22 to see if that makes a difference? If I can get it to work in 22, I certainly wouldn't mind upgrading permanently.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 04:59:35 am »

Yes, you could try MC22.  You could also try the version you're using on another machine.

Take a look at our wiki and search for Windows Defender.

There is no need to uninstall madVR.  Our version is different, we maintain it, and there is no conflict.

madVR and Red October HQ are generally very stable.  This problem will probably turn out to be caused by something specific on your machine.  A video driver, for example.  See the "Weird Problems" link in my signature for more possibilities.

gschaben1

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:06:54 am »

Jim,
 It does seem to be something related to the video driver/gpu. I switched back to the on-board graphics processor and can get Red October HQ to work without crashing, although there are a lot of dropped frames/stuttering. Intel Graphics 4000 is just barely powerful enough to run MadVR at the default settings, I guess. I will try reinstalling the current Radeon drivers and then rolling back to a previous version if that doesn't work.
 I'll also probably give MC22 a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up