INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Offer to Pono  (Read 5298 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
JRiver Offer to Pono
« on: January 14, 2017, 06:02:19 pm »

I posted this over on the Pono forum just now.

-----------------

The reaction to Pono Music Vault so far must be disappointing.  In the poll done in this forum, 8% said they would use the Vault, and 66% said they would use other software, perhaps returning to try PMV again later.  That's a tough start.

As you may know, JRiver provided a version of JRiver Media Center that Pono distributed as Pono Music World.  When the store closed, Pono asked JRiver to waive a month's payment, which I agreed to, and then things went dark.  For the rest of 2016, there was no news or payment from Pono.

I want to make it clear that JRiver has been a strong supporter of Pono since the beginning, and the amount of money we received was less than what Pono will probably spend to keep one person working on the PMV.

Last week, I asked Neil's manager if Pono might like to sell the assets or do a joint venture to get the store up and running.  I think it could be done in a couple of months.  We've done stores before and they aren't that difficult to do.  I received no answer. 

I'm making the offer again here to see if there is any interest.

Pono had a great start and was ground breaking in some ways, and I think if Neil were to continue to spearhead this movement and had a strong business partner, it could continue to build a solid community.  I believe that this community is one of its greatest assets.  It's painful to watch it slipping away.

Let's do something while it still can be done.

Jim Hillegass
CEO

Lonestar

Re: JRiver Offer to Pono
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:35:08 am »

Sounds like a great Win-Win-Win for all involved. 

Martyy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 01:36:19 pm »

I totally support this effort. The Pono experience has been wonderful for a lifelong music lover and I would hate for it to end. The promise of great music quality was met, now let's find a way to continue it.

minogue

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:57:10 am »

Sounds great, Jim.
Pono is, by far, my favorite toy. They need to get stuff turned around so they can start paying the bills. At least you offered. Hope they respond. Pono Vault is way far away from being anything but Beta.
Cheers,
Kyle

decal

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:38:46 am »

PONO has become a total disaster. I really like the player but the management of the business is terrible. I tried the PONO Music Vault and can't get it to do anything. They made a huge mistake leaving JRiver. Maybe someone there will come to their senses before it's totally destroyed.

bestanimalintheworld

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 02:49:29 pm »

agree. I loved that I could buy digital music that was higher quality than mp3. I think the 16bit/44.1khz quality digital was overlooked too — quicker and cheaper than ordering cds; nobody else was doing that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up