INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reorder items in Tag Action Window  (Read 3827 times)

sskings

Reorder items in Tag Action Window
« on: January 24, 2017, 03:16:26 pm »

Is it possible to set a custom order for items in the Tag Action Window?  If not, I'd like to request this feature be added.  It would be extremely valuable.  Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Reorder items in Tag Action Window
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 03:27:21 pm »

It is in the experimental tag window.  Hold shift while opening to switch.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Antognini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 03:28:16 pm »

Yes, that would be nice. Some fields I often edit, like Genre, are halfway down the list, and scrolling gets tedious when one is doing massive additions to a library.

sskings

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 04:56:40 pm »

Matt,  Thanks!!  Are there other experimental features that could be accessed by holding down the shift key?  I'd be interested in taking a look at them.  Steve

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 07:42:54 pm »

I have the same need, for tags to be in efficient order. There's a way to do this has existed for many versions. Create a view with the columns/fields in desired order. Then in Tag action choose Show Tags In Current View They'll be in the same order as the columns.

The view that shows the desired tag order might not be used for other purposes. Create this view for tagging and navigation efficiency, not for appearance. I have many records, with many fields and custom fields. My tagging view shows a File List instead of the several other styles of view.

If you end up really liking the view, and/or want tags to be the same order in almost all views (I do), you can save the View layout, then apply it to other views. Later, if you tweak it (move a couple of tags by moving the columns) save that layout and it is easy to apply the new layout to other views.

There's a long standing bug that sometimes this mode doesn't work properly, not showing all the fields of the view. To fix, in the view, drag a column to a different position. Then drag it back. This usually causes MC to recognize and show all the view columns as tag fields.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 08:17:13 pm »

the much better option is to use the new tagging window as mentioned, and make custom tagging groups as you wish.  IMO and YMMV but it is way better

sskings

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 09:58:21 am »

Matt,  I checked out the new EXPERIMENTAL TAG ACTION WINDOW.  Excellent.  This is a request that a number of people have been dropping for a while and it's great to see JRiver providing customers these new features.  I upgraded to v22 as a result.  Thanks again.  Steve

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 07:59:16 am »

Matt,  I checked out the new EXPERIMENTAL TAG ACTION WINDOW.  Excellent.  This is a request that a number of people have been dropping for a while and it's great to see JRiver providing customers these new features.  I upgraded to v22 as a result.  Thanks again.  Steve

Thanks.

My plan is to just switch everyone to the new tag window at some point.

I've been using it and it's pretty slick I think.

Just need to test a little more...

sskings

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 10:14:23 am »

Matt,  Two current issues I've discovered. 

I think the first is occurring like this: 
-- The new window has a near white background even in skins that have dark backgrounds.
-- In those skins the text sometimes shows as white and cannot be read.
-- I've been able to remedy this by switching back and forth between skins and reopening tag.
If you'd like more details I can reproduce.

The second is that the tags do not show if the headers are elminated.  I tried just having the tag list with no headers and the window comes up empty.

Good work on this.
Steve

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 10:18:32 am »

I think the first is occurring like this: 
-- The new window has a near white background even in skins that have dark backgrounds.
-- In those skins the text sometimes shows as white and cannot be read.
-- I've been able to remedy this by switching back and forth between skins and reopening tag.
If you'd like more details I can reproduce.

It's a new skin item.  I've got the author of our Modern Cards skins working on updated art right now.

The second is that the tags do not show if the headers are elminated.  I tried just having the tag list with no headers and the window comes up empty.

Yes, tags need to be in a group.  That's just the way it is.  Maybe the customize dialog could make that more obvious, but I'm not sure how?

sskings

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 10:21:05 am »

Sounds like you're on top of both items.  On the second, maybe don't allow the used to eliminate all headers???

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 10:29:44 am »

We'll try this in a coming build:
Changed: When customizing the new Tag Action Window, it won't let you add items outside a group (since a group is necessary).

Hopefully that helps :)

sskings

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 10:32:49 am »

OK.  fyi....  if I remember correctly, I got there by deleting the top group....
Pages: [1]   Go Up