INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let him have his opinion ...  (Read 5967 times)

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Let him have his opinion ...
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:25:47 pm »

[Edit by JimH -- This was moved from another thread.]

1) I know that I can distinguish an mp3 or sac file from a lossless/wav file, no need to check again (except for the fact that digital music is "around us" every day and I get to hear some even "passing by" and have not problems in distinguishing lossy and lossless even on modest systems).
2) The "listening test" is dependent on JRiver for encoding the files - and my impression (from reading this and other forums) is that JRiver is not the best option to encode files into different formats. I prefer to use a track ripped from a CD and encoded with software that is renowned as a good choice for encoding (like dbpoweramp).

Don't get me wrong, but my impression is that JRiver is a music (library) player - and the additional thrills are thrown in for fun or amusement. I am the kind of user that does not care for/need those additional extras. What I care about is whether it performs it's main function as intended (whereby main function I intend music playback and library management). As you know, my own issue with JRiver is related to DSD playback (something goes wrong with the DoP stream in the middle of a track and music stops but playback does not, an obvious bug or "known issue" if you prefer the terminology).

It's been months since I've reported it, and nothing was done towards solving it - yet. This leads me to think that you care more about everything else (fun and amusement) than the primary function of the software.

Or most probably I am not the "typical" user, meaning that most users are not listening to DSD and are very much interested in mp3 and other lossy formats that they listen on non-audiophile equipment (like a pair of plastic speakers connected to the sound card of the PC: yes, it's probably difficult to distinguish lossy and lossless formats on such equipment - but I can hear the difference even when listening in my car on the generic car audio that came with the car...).
I suspect that your characterization of the "typical" user is not fact-based.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

sorepinky

Re: Let him have his
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:33:20 pm »

Now I must add that I do hear the difference between DSD and PCM.

Please prove this, and if you cannot - which you cannot - then I suggest that you convert your DSD files to PCM so that you can play them without the issues that only you have brought upon yourself.  Convert to FLAC and store the DSD archive on a DVD+R or something.

The only valid use of DSD is in archiving.  You cannot distinguish it using your ears from lossless PCM.

tyler69

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 01:02:46 am »

Why don't you guys just let him have his opinion. If he likes DSD, so be it (I guess he's not the only one on earth). Although I do not see the point to come in here and hate about this listening test while pointing to any other functionality, I think people should be more open to other opinions. I also do not understand why JimH tries to provoke him. If he doesn't need or want to use this feature..so what.
I do also hear the difference between DSD and PCM, but is it due a different mastering or maybe due to my DAC producing a different sounding conversion? I don't know, but reading that ONE CANNOT this and cannot that is annoying.

sorepinky

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 05:08:06 am »

It's not "hating" so don't you be annoying.  It's fact.  You cannot distinguish the DSD format or other so-called "hi-res" formats (like 192/24 FLAC) from standard 44.1/16 PCM using human ears. The AES proved this statistically and they used conversions just like the MC listening test does. This eliminates the unwanted "mastering" argument.  And quite interestingly as someone pointed out - it also proved that the additional opamps in the conversion equipment were inaudible too. So until the AES paper is disproved, anything else is unsubstantiated opinion and therefore useless.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Let him have his opinion ...
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 05:53:40 am »

I think people should be more open to other opinions. I also do not understand why JimH tries to provoke him. If he doesn't need or want to use this feature..so what.
I do also hear the difference between DSD and PCM, but is it due a different mastering or maybe due to my DAC producing a different sounding conversion? I don't know, but reading that ONE CANNOT this and cannot that is annoying.
He made a strong statement about what he could hear.  I asked him to support his assertion by trying the Listening Test.   I can't get it right but maybe he can.  I'm curious.

tyler69

Re: Let him have his opinion
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 06:14:16 am »

It's not "hating" so don't you be annoying.  It's fact.
You do realize I referred to DSD_addict, don't you? BTW: could you provide a link to said paper? I'm interested in it :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 11:10:36 am »

DSD_Addict has left the building.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 12:44:02 pm »

Not sure what paper sorepinky is referring to but this recent AES paper contradicts his statement.

In particular, read this excerpt from the summary:

All 18 published experiments for which sufficient data could be obtained were included, providing
a meta-analysis involving over 400 participants in over 12,500 trials. Results showed a small
but statistically significant ability of test subjects to discriminate high resolution content,
and this effect increased dramatically when test subjects received extensive training. This
result was verified by a sensitivity analysis exploring different choices for the chosen studies
and different analysis approaches. Potential biases in studies, effect of test methodology,
experimental design, and choice of stimuli were also investigated. The overall conclusion
is that the perceived fidelity of an audio recording and playback chain can be affected by
operating beyond conventional levels

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=18296
(published June 2016)

tyler69

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 01:49:15 pm »

DSD_Addict has left the building.
Well done.

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 02:16:02 pm »

Well done.

Both comments ,rather childish. Children are taught not to be bullies.
This all smacks of "You can have an opinion, as long as it's the same as. mine".

tyler69

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 03:49:55 pm »

I'm not sure I follow you. My comment is meant to be read in context (read: my prior post regarding people "let him have his opinion")..

Regarding the AES paper: I also could not find an aes paper that states facts about the dsd vs. Pcm topic, only some which contain studies with mixed results.

sorepinky

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 04:15:35 pm »

Here it is: https://secure.aes.org/forum/pubs/journal/?ID=2

But I'll have to eat my words after this more recent study:

http://www.aes.org/press/?ID=362

Oh the very shame of it all.

Sorry about that.

Perhaps what I should have said was I cannot hear a difference.  So I have learnt a lesson.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:27:39 pm »

Fascinating.  The abstract doesn't mention if high-res means anything specific (dsd or high rate PCM).  Anyone a member, I'd love to read that one

Edit:  http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=18296

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 05:17:24 pm »

sorepinky - The methodology of the Boston Audio Study of 2007 (the first AES link) has been criticized over and over again.  At this point, it has very little credibility with a large segment of the audio world.

The abstract of the second AES paper has an interesting comment, that bears thinking about :

"In addition to training, the research suggested that careful selection of stimuli, including use of long duration samples, may play an important role in the ability to discriminate. Studies that did not show an ability to discriminate were generally more prone to biases or flaws in their design"

The issue of short duration versus long duration testing methods has been discussed in this forum before.  This paper seems to confirm the idea that long term listening may be a better methodology to use for audio comparisons. That methodology is seldom used. The "accepted" methodology is to use short, quick changes for comparisons, which, may, in fact, be bringing a bias into the experiment.

The comment on training is also interesting. Very few listening sessions are done with trained subjects. Certainly the ones that people report hear do not use trained subjects - trained in the way a researcher would train subjects.

One thing that gets left out of so many of these discussions is that different DACs sound different. Different PCM DACs sound different. Different DSD DACs sound different. In fact, many DACs are now offering different filter options so the user can check the one they like the best. So, if someone says they like DSD better than PCM (or vice versa) is may just be the particular DAC(s) and/or the particular filters they are using.

This discussion will go nowhere. Different people, with different systems, different hearing, different training, etc. will hear things differently. Some people believe that, some people do not.

My wife has incredible hearing. When we talk audio - and only when we talk audio :) -  I call her my "bat". I struggle to hear differences that she hears in seconds. She really can hear things only a bat can hear. What she says goes in my house, no matter what any AES paper says. 

I would say the same thing often goes from people in the business. After spending their lives listening to music  they can often quickly hear nuances that others cannot hear. I remember one listening session in which after a very short time a dealer said to me - "The second DAC brings the sound so much more forward", something I had not noticed until he said it. But it was quickly obvious to him.

We really need to recognize how differently we all hear our music.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 05:43:26 pm »

Both comments ,rather childish.
Oh, the joys of moderation ...

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 03:41:24 am »

sorepinky - The methodology of the Boston Audio Study of 2007 (the first AES link) has been criticized over and over again.  At this point, it has very little credibility with a large segment of the audio world.

To me, a large part of the audio world has little credibility. They have a tendency to make claims which stretch credulity too far.

The abstract of the second AES paper has an interesting comment, that bears thinking about :

"In addition to training, the research suggested that careful selection of stimuli, including use of long duration samples, may play an important role in the ability to discriminate. Studies that did not show an ability to discriminate were generally more prone to biases or flaws in their design"

Yes, what I think about is that, even if the assertion is true, the differences are extremely small and difficult to detect which in turn means that they have very little importance to the enjoyment of music. Especially as the vast majority of the recorded music available today was recorded before good wideband equipment was in wide spread use, so doesn't have any meaningful HF component anyway.

This discussion will go nowhere. Different people, with different systems, different hearing, different training, etc. will hear things differently. Some people believe that, some people do not.

That's undoubtedly true and I don't have any difficulty with anyone having their own opinion. If people think the moon is made of green cheese they're welcome to think so. I do have difficulty with people who claim that certain differences are clearly audible and are important when that is quite clearly not the case.

My wife has incredible hearing. When we talk audio - and only when we talk audio :) -  I call her my "bat". I struggle to hear differences that she hears in seconds. She really can hear things only a bat can hear. What she says goes in my house, no matter what any AES paper says.

Ah, the "my wife can hear it so it must be true" defence!

I remember one listening session in which after a very short time a dealer said to me - "The second DAC brings the sound so much more forward", something I had not noticed until he said it. But it was quickly obvious to him.

The power of suggestion on the brain is marked, which is one reason why it is extremely difficult to run tests which identify real differences in audio equipment, rather than imaginary ones.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 09:39:30 am »

You are of course welcome to have your own opinion.

Please leave the snide remarks about my wife out of this. She has great hearing and cares about what music sounds like. You may not, but she does.
Pages: [1]   Go Up