INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Advice Setting Up "Surround" PA System  (Read 1042 times)

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Need Advice Setting Up "Surround" PA System
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:01:03 pm »

My neighbor is having a Retirement Party in early March for his wife, and I will be setting up for music/video in his backyard under a canopy.

Setup will be PC>USB 5.1 DAC>>
<Mixer one>pro crossover>two power amps for Front Left/Front Right, and Subs
<Mixer two>pro amp for Rear Speakers

I need to assemble a mock setup a couple of weeks beforehand to make sure everything works as it should. I don't need precision here, just "proper" setup. Overall balance/levels will be adjusted by ear.

What I think settings should be:

JRiver Settings:
Channels -- 5.1
Mixing -- JRSS Mixing
Move center to front L/R
Subwoofer -- JRSS Subwoofer (90 Hz low-pass)

I will only be using the front and rear outputs from the DAC, since I am limited to 4 inputs (two stereo mixers).

1. Add High Pass filter to sub, 33 Hz -- 48 db/octave (I normally run a HP on my ported subs)
2. Add sub to left
3. Add sub to right
4. Add High Pass filter to surround left/surround right channels (optional, 50 Hz)

Questions:

Do I need to "reduce" volume of the fronts or sub, since they are "combined"? I have plenty of adjustable gain settings at all stages on the equipment, so overall level balance between front/subs and rear is not an issue. I just don't want to induce clipping at the DAC level, and would like to have the channel levels relatively correct at the source.

Since I am adding the sub HP first, will the HP filter be present in the sub channel from that point on, when being added to left and right channels, or do I need to add the HP after combining the sub with left and right?

After the sub is combined with the left and right, can a single HP filter be added to left and right channels to HP left, right, and sub, or will the sub channel always need to be treated separately for PEQ?

For the rear speakers, is there "normally" much low frequency content there? My rear mains are sealed so it's probably not an issue anyway, unless the volume gets crazy (it can happen).

I have used this Creative USB DAC  in a "standard" 5.1 setup with JRiver out to home equipment and it works well, no driver required (Windows 8.1 x64).

Thanks.

Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.
Pages: [1]   Go Up