INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot use Teamviewer to access the Mediacenter menu bar items [Solved]  (Read 4332 times)

percy

• Junior Woodchuck

Cannot any longer use Teamviewer to access the Mediacenter menu bar items (File, View…)
I have Mediacenter 22 running on my Ubuntu 16.04 (headless) PC.
The Ubuntu version is the one with GUI (not the server version) but as it is stacked away there is no keyboard or display connected to it. I control it with JRemote on my iPad.
For maintenance purpose I have Teamviewer installed on the Mediacenter PC which allows me to connect to it remotely.
That worked fine a while ago but since a few months it will not allow me to use the menu. I simply cannot select the File, Edit View, Player etc. menu items.
I can select all the other buttons, list etc. on the Mediacenter GUI.
This flaw is typical to Mediacenter as I can use all the menus on the other application. That said these menus appear at the top of the display and not at the top of the application window.
Is there a reason why I cannot any longer select the items on the Mediacenter when connected through my Teamviewer?

Thanks for any suggestion

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen

Might be similar behaviour to my own.
Xref https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,108749.msg753528.html#msg753528
Which build version are you running, and if higher than 36, can you rollback to 36 and try again?
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Will keep an eye on this thread. It might indicate something deeper (or not).

percy

• Junior Woodchuck

The problem is solved. It was a Teamviewer installation issue (or just plain my fold).
The problem occurred (but was not noticed by me at that time due to the fact that all the other Ubuntu 16.04 menus and application window menus worked just fine) when I upgraded from Teamviewer 11 to version 12.
I installed that update via a SSH console (would probably not have made any difference if I would have used the Teamviewer window itself).
I now broke out my media PC out of the basement and connected it to a real monitor keyboard and mouse and  purged and reinstalled Teamviewer from scratch and now everything works fine again.
Still weird it only failed on the Mediacenter menus and also the selected GUI object lagged the actual mouse pointer (this also only in Mediacenter)
For the sake of the unavoidable question before of course it is ALWAYS the latest version (of everything. The first thing one does when having a software problem is verifying if one has the latest version and try that first before crying for help. And maybe if it is that latest version downgrade (if possible) back one step back to see if that was causing the problem.
Thanks anyway. Problem solved.

percy

• Junior Woodchuck

The problem is solved. It was a Teamviewer installation issue (or just plain my fold).
The problem occurred (but was not noticed by me at that time due to the fact that all the other Ubuntu 16.04 menus and application window menus worked just fine) when I upgraded from Teamviewer 11 to version 12.
I installed that update via a SSH console (would probably not have made any difference if I would have used the Teamviewer window itself).
I now broke out my media PC out of the basement and connected it to a real monitor keyboard and mouse and  purged and reinstalled Teamviewer from scratch and now everything works fine again.
Still weird it only failed on the Mediacenter menus and also the selected GUI object lagged the actual mouse pointer (this also only in Mediacenter)
For the sake of the unavoidable question before of course it is ALWAYS the latest version (of everything. The first thing one does when having a software problem is verifying if one has the latest version and try that first before crying for help. And maybe if it is that latest version downgrade (if possible) back one step back to see if that was causing the problem.
Thanks anyway. Problem solved.
I just wanted to add something I noted later on which might perhaps be useful.
Actually the problem with the menus was caused by not having a monitor connected.
As soon as a monitor is connected the menus are accessible. The monitor must not even be connected to a power source. I knew that the Linux kernel can detect whether a monitor is attached to the graphics (that is why they also sell dummy VGA & HDMY connectors that present a 75 Ohm load across the pins). I did not expect this to be the problem as the rest of the graphic functionality was OK and also the problem only appeared with the Mediacenter program. All other programs, as far as I experienced, did not have problems with the menus. Is this related to the on board graphics of the Intel Broadwell CPU?

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Cannot use Teamviewer to access the Mediacenter menu bar items [Solved]
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:18:04 pm »

xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)
Pages: [1]   Go Up