INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New User - Ready to Commit  (Read 4134 times)

DavidMW

• World Citizen
New User - Ready to Commit
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:02:11 am »

I have played with MC for a few years, trying it out, and moving on, not ready to commit as it didn't fully meet my needs. After revisiting it again, I think I found a solution that works (almost) perfectly. Naturally, there are a few lingering questions.

First, let me describe my environment and target solution. I typically listen to music while on the go- moving around my house, in transit, etc. My setup is: AIFF and FLAC copies in two separate music libraries (CD rips using dBpoweramp and hi res downloads), a Sony NW-ZX2 DAP, and a pair of Shure SE-535 IEMs. I will likely upgrade my IEMs and may replace my DAP as I'm looking at the Chord Mojo Poly.  My music libraries are stored on a Synology DS214 NAS.

Over the last couple of days, I downloaded the trail version of MC (on a Windows 10 computer, configured my gigabyte router following the directions from this Computer Audiophile article: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/685-streaming-around-globe-or-around-home-jriver-media-center/. If everything pans out, I will purchase MC for a Mac (no trials left on that machine) and have already puchased JRemote for IOS (I will also puchase JRemote for Android to use on my ZX2). Wifi works great, the UI is very smooth and the sound is very good. When I disconnect from wifi, JRemote is a bit sluggush when accessing my NAS over a fairly strong cellular signal. Is there a way to download music before playing as the streaming seems a bit slow going through the buffering process?

As I understand the setup, the Mac (now Windows 10) will always have to be on and connected to the NAS in order for me to access my music library via JRemote. I know many have asked for an MC app on Synology, but short of that, this seems to be the only way to go. In the future, I may consider buying the JRiver Id. If I do that, do I have to buy another version of MC to run on the Id or will the Mac license by applicable there?

I think that's it for now. Sorry for the rambling questions, but I am excited to find a solution that will allow me to listen to my native rips on my mobile devices.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New User - Ready to Commit
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:19:45 am »

The Mac (or another PC) needs to be on.  The Id is a lower power solution.  The Id license is included with it.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 04:48:42 pm »

Also, be aware that you can buy a Master License, which entitles you to the Windows, Linux, and Mac versions of MC all for one price.  This saves you a bit of money.

As far as JRemote caching songs, it doesn't as far as I know.  I'd personally recommend a device with some significant storage (128 GB for example) and a copy of a big part of your collection.  That way you're not reliant upon all of the other stuff you need to use JRemote as a streaming solution.  You may disagree and that's fine.  Just giving you my perspective.

Good luck and welcome to the MC family.

Brian.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 11:38:47 am »

Jim, Brian, thanks for your replies. I'd like to get a few more clarifications. As I understand it, if I get the Id I will not have to buy a MC license as the Id comes with "the audio features of JRiver Media Center." Do I control the Id from my phone, or is there a desktop interface and if so, does the desktop interface look like the trial version of MC as presently loaded on my Mac?

Since my music library is stored on my Synology NAS, I presume that the Id Classic is all that I need. Having extra storage found on the more expensive models does not come into play in my situation. Is that correct?

Buffering has gotten better since I first loaded the JRemote. Maybe it was my location in my house with wifi turned off.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 05:58:07 am »

Jim, Brian, others, can you reply to my question? I'd like to get confirmation before placing my order. Thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 06:12:00 am »

I have no experience with the Id, so I won't be of much help.  The Id runs Linux and the Linux version of JRiver Media Center.  It acts mostly very much like any other version of MC on Linux.  Mostly.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 06:36:32 am »

As I understand it, if I get the Id I will not have to buy a MC license as the Id comes with "the audio features of JRiver Media Center."
That description is correct.  The license for MC is included.
Do I control the Id from my phone, or is there a desktop interface and if so, does the desktop interface look like the trial version of MC as presently loaded on my Mac?
The Id can be controlled from a phone with any MC remote software.  It also has a GUI interface that is similar to the one you see on the Mac.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 10:35:23 am »

Excellent, thanks. Order being placed momentarily.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 04:59:52 pm »

I am hearing some strange sounds with my current setup. I would like to get this clarified before proceeding.

My set up is as follows:
Synology NAS => MC => JRemote on a iPhone 6 => Chord Mojo = Shure SE-535 IEMs.

Everything seems to be in order and the music sounds wonderful, then the audio track will begin to have crackling sounds that once it begins it will not stop until I stop the track and sometimes terminate JRemote. After that, it is good again for a while (sometimes a long while) until the crackling sounds are back.

To isolate the problem, I then reconfigured my setup to:
Synology NAS => Synology DS File on a iPhone 6 => Chord Mojo = Shure SE-535 IEMs.
That plays clean for hours. But Synology transcodes the music.

What are the suggested changes I need to do to eliminate the crackling sounds?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 05:30:47 pm »

Try using MC to convert to a single format.  It's possible it happens when the format changes.

Make sure you're using the latest build of MC from the forum.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 11:50:20 am »

Jim, I've been testing MC for a few weeks now. I still hear the crackling sounds, but do not understand what you mean by converting to a single format. My music is all in AIFF. Also, a few times I get an audio streaming error requiring me to abort and restart JRemote.

Please advise. Thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 04:34:51 pm »

Are you trying to stream music from MC to your i-device running JRemote and then play from the i-device to your DAC? If so, that's probably your problem.  Playback directly to JRemote is kind of a convenience feature.  As I understand it, it's not really designed for high quality playback.

Even if it *is* designed for high quality playback, I would not recommend this method as it is necesarily relying upon wireless networking, which isn't exactly perfectly reliable.

I would recommend connecting the DAC directly to your MC computer via USB or AES-EBU or optical digital or coaxial digital.

Brian.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 09:13:39 pm »

Brian, that is what I am trying to do, in part. I want the ability to listen to my music while stationary at home (via USB) and using remote wifi or cellular networks while traveling. This solution mostly works, and works really well, except when it doesn't. I am doing this in areas with a pretty good wifi or cellular signal, so I wouldn't think that is the problem.

I configured JRiver MC following the guidance from this Computer Audiophile article: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/685-streaming-around-globe-or-around-home-jriver-media-center/. The only change I'm considering (if I can get some stability) is to purchase the JRiver Id and connect the Id to my Synology NAS. I describe my current use case at the beginning of this thread.

Do you think the occasional crackling sounds and the audio streaming errors might be from intermittent gaps in coverage while on the move? I raise that question as I don't recall any disruption while accessing MC on a remote wifi or cellular network while stationary.

Thanks,

David

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 06:35:00 am »

Do you think the occasional crackling sounds and the audio streaming errors might be from intermittent gaps in coverage while on the move?
Definitely possible.  If it works at from outside your network, you have everything configured correctly.  But you do need a solid data connection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up