INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red October 4k choppy playback  (Read 4206 times)

ppataki

• World Citizen
Red October 4k choppy playback
« on: February 28, 2017, 12:16:50 am »

I have an AMD RX480 GPU and an Intel E3 server CPU and 4K playback with Red October in JRiver is still choppy
Even if I set DXVA resizing in madVR both video and audio get choppy

Strange thing is that the player does not seem to use the GPU for acceleration, the CPU load is 100% all the time (even if Hardware Acceleration is turned on)

Any suggestions on what changes I shall make in madVR and/or JRiver to make Red October play smoothly?
I believe that with such a GPU 4K playback shall not be choppy

Thank you in advance

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Red October 4k choppy playback
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:40:41 am »

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 04:50:52 am »

Check the follwing:
-Does RO Standard work?
-Set back the RO HQ settings - if you have modified them - to standard settings (C:\Users\YourUserID\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Plugins\madvr\restore default settings or delete the content of the madVR directory and on the next start of MC it will reload the lib
-What are your DIsplay Settings (Tools->Options->Display Settings); I use custom settings (e.g. Film (23.976  fps): 3440x1440 -32 bit@24 Hz etc.?
-Ceck if Hardware accelarate video decoding is aneabled.
-Enable Video Clock (with MC this is better than to let do it in madVR)
- What scaling Algorithm do you use. If you use NEEDI3 its reported in various forums that it leads to problems with the current AMD drivers.

I have GTX 960 with i3-6100 and a LG 4k using Jinc for Chroma Upscaling; LZ3+AR for Image Upscaling and CR+AR+LL for Image downscaling. GPU Utilisation is between 20% - 60% dependent on the content. For higher scaling algorithm the GTX 960 is not capable to upscale all content type e.g. 1080i etc. 
If you want to test how true 4k behaves, downlod test clips from:
http://www.4ktv.de/testvideos/
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 05:47:14 am »

Hello,

-Does RO Standard work? - Yes it works perfectly
-Set back the RO HQ settings - if you have modified them - to standard settings (C:\Users\YourUserID\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Plugins\madvr\restore default settings or delete the content of the madVR directory and on the next start of MC it will reload the lib - Reset done
-What are your DIsplay Settings (Tools->Options->Display Settings); I use custom settings (e.g. Film (23.976  fps): 3440x1440 -32 bit@24 Hz etc.? - Display Settings Automatic Change Mode: On (all the rest is greyed out because of that)
-Ceck if Hardware accelarate video decoding is aneabled. - Yes, enabled
-Enable Video Clock (with MC this is better than to let do it in madVR) - Yes, enabled
- What scaling Algorithm do you use. If you use NEEDI3 its reported in various forums that it leads to problems with the current AMD drivers. - Bicubic/Lanczos (the defaults in madVR)
I have tried changing it to Bilinear or DXVA but whatever I do playback is still choppy (both video and audio)
CPU load is around 100% all the time; I am playing HEVC 2160p 50fps videos

Do you have any other suggestions please?
Thank you

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 06:28:25 am »

Update: I have tried madVR with MPC-BE and it works like a charm, even with HDR videos
So it seems something is wrong with JRiver settings...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 06:40:13 am »

Try disabling hardware acceleration.

Don't change any madVR settings.  The wiki has a topic on Red October that explains.

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 07:13:32 am »

Doesn't work unfortunately, still choppy
Interesting is that when using MPC-BE I can change anything in madVR (scaling, dithering, sreen mode switch, HDR processing, etc.)and playback is still fine; GPU acceleration is on, CPU usage never reaches 50% while in JRiver it is 100% and unusable

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 07:26:25 am »

We don't currently support Hardware Acceleration in ROHQ on AMD due to a variety of stability problems in AMD graphics drivers. You can use RO Std in the meantime, or setup advanced custom settings if you so desire.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 07:28:31 am »

When is this planned to be implemented?
Apparently it works fine in other players
Thank you

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 07:30:18 am »

Just because it happens to work for you doesn't mean it works for everyone, and we have to err on the side of caution instead of having a crashing player.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 08:00:39 am »

Nevertheless it would be great if you could keep revisiting this subject as there are many people out there with AMD cards and AMD keeps releasing new drivers on a regular basis + madVR keeps evolving quite fast as well
Thank you

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 08:39:13 am »

It's odd that "erring on the side of caution" causes a problem (in this case) - rather than preventing one.
I hope JRiver can add this feature/ability in the near future, and just let the User decide to turn off acceleration if it doesn't work.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 05:49:41 pm »

It's odd that "erring on the side of caution" causes a problem (in this case) - rather than preventing one.
I hope JRiver can add this feature/ability in the near future, and just let the User decide to turn off acceleration if it doesn't work.

I wouldn't say it's causing a problem - merely reducing one's options. But an override might be a good solution for someone who has tested it with another program to show it works. I'm sure it would still lead to a slew of complaints.
Pages: [1]   Go Up