INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot Connect to Remote Library  (Read 4004 times)

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
Cannot Connect to Remote Library
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:29:46 pm »

I am unable to connect to my library remotely through another install of Media Center.  Both the server and clients are running the same version of the Windows application.  When I attempt to Connect to Remote Library using the correct access key, I get a progress dialog that MC is downloading the library and it goes all the way to completion before erroring with the message: “There was a problem connecting to the server. Double check you entered the correct key and that the server and your connection are working.”  If I retry, MC doesn't even try to download the library again, it just shows that error.

However, I can connect to the same library server via WebPlay and WebGizmo from the same machine on the same connection.  I can connect, browse, and play tracks and playlists flawlessly through this interface.  I am also able to connect to this library using Android Gizmo from the same remote network using the same access key. 

That it's working through other clients should rule out some of the most obvious possible culprits. I have performed a ton of the standard troubleshooting steps anyways (turned off antivirus/firewalls, checked port forwarding, reset access key, change browser type, etc.) but obviously I can get to the remote library just fine, it's just the main Windows MC client that refuses to connect.  Also, the fact that MC initially connects to the library and downloads it completely seems to indicate that MC is reaching it, but failing at some point subsequent to the download.

Any ideas what's going wrong here?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cannot Connect to Remote Library
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:51:06 pm »

What is the full version number of MC?

Did you try powering everything (including the network) down and back up?

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 08:17:58 am »

I'm running version 22.0.76 as of now, but I've actually been experiencing this problem for at least 6 months and am just now giving up trying to solve the mystery on my own.  In that time, every device in the network has been powered down and cycled multiple times.

That I'm having no problem connecting to and downloading the library initially or using through the WebPlay/WebGizmo/Android apps leads me to believe it's possibly not going to be a straightforward network connectivity issue. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 09:18:54 am »

Are there multiple network interfaces?  Try using the IP address instead of an Access Key.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 09:27:44 am »

Using a standard IP, MC appears to connect (I get a dialog that the library will be opened read-only) but the library is absolutely empty on the remote client side.  I never see the library downloading dialog.

I also created a brand new test library, restarted the MC server and Host app and also the remote client, but don't see a different result.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:52:50 am »

It is the default library that is shared.

This smells like a network or firewall problem.  I know you think it isn't.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 11:24:50 am »

Throughout testing, the default library has been the only library the majority of the times.

I know the default thinking is that network and firewall issues are behind problems like this the majority of the time (and they probably usually are).  However, I'm not sure what else I could possibly do to rule this out (over the 6 months of on and off experimenting, I've turned off firewalls, tried from different networks, etc.).  I'm using the same network, devices, and port to access the library through a variety of other means, so it seems to me that a network or firewall issue is less likely than some sort of handshaking issue.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 12:55:46 pm »

wires wires wires
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

paul@gpemartin.com

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 02:13:45 am »

I have just purchased JRiver 23 and everything is working until I get to Webplay.
I have configured Media Server and using JRemote on an Ipad I can render images and music fine.
When I use webplay using http://192.168.0.2:52199 I get to the panel and I can navigate to Album covers and Photo images, but as soon as I select anything, I get a blank screen and nothing plays ???

Stubbsy709

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 04:01:46 am »

Had this same problem and my windows client did not have media streaming enabled
Pages: [1]   Go Up