INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database Read-Only  (Read 2671 times)

aviateur

• World Citizen
Database Read-Only
« on: March 26, 2017, 06:34:45 pm »

Hello JRiver Developers:

During the testing of options, I cycle (exit / launch) the MC application with regularity. If I don't wait 10 seconds (read impatience) after the exit, which means I launch the MC application quickly after exiting, I receive the subject dialog box (see image). So this is how it plays out. I then press OK and then the READ-ONLY execution launches. I then must start over by exiting the READ-ONLY execution and, as I stated above, wait 10 seconds to allow for some 'mystery' cleanup to occur so that the next MC launch occurs normally.

Would it be possible to add a RETRY button to the dialog box for impatient types like myself? This, in essence, would perform the proper recycling of the application by waiting for the previous exit to clear.

Or perhaps even better, a implicit feature could be developed into the OPEN logic to wait for a previous exit operation to clear before opening the next iteration of MC? In this case, we could all then complain about the extra second or two that it takes for MC to launch (just kidding).

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Database Read-Only
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 07:28:19 pm »

Completely normal. I see it sometimes when testing on my MC Client. Also not a common issue for most users, who don't do the testing cycle you are doing. Probably not going to see development time because of that.

I suspect that this message occurs when Windows still has hold of some of the database files, after MC has finished it's cleanup. But I have never tried to isolate the steps to reproduce it.

Anyway, the real solution for me has been a little more patience. I know, when testing it can be annoying. But a little patience before restarting gets the job done faster.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 08:26:01 pm »

Anyway, the real solution for me has been a little more patience. I know, when testing it can be annoying. But a little patience before restarting gets the job done faster.  ;)

Agreed, patience is the obvious solution.

So how does one become a Beta Team member? (I just know your answer is going to have something to do with exercising patience ;) )

Cheers,
Lawrence

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 08:34:19 pm »

Beta Team membership is via invitation only. I believe it is based on how much help you provide to others, and the manner in which you conduct yourself on the forum. This is a friendly forum by most standards, and JRiver work to keep it that way.  8)

Oh yeah, so that means you need a lot of patience to wait to be invited.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 09:13:38 pm »

See ... I was right!  ;)

Seriously, thanks for your insight.

Cheers,
Lawrence

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 06:05:23 am »

Beta Team membership is via invitation only. I believe it is based on how much help you provide to others, and the manner in which you conduct yourself on the forum.
You also have to be smarter than the founder, but that's a pretty low bar.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 04:51:35 pm »

Or perhaps even better, a implicit feature could be developed into the OPEN logic to wait for a previous exit operation to clear before opening the next iteration of MC? In this case, we could all then complain about the extra second or two that it takes for MC to launch (just kidding).

mc22.exe /Restart
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 05:08:41 pm »

mc22.exe /Restart

No joy ... the 'Database Read-Only' dialog box still appears after an exit and quick launch combination (less than 5 seconds).

Lawrence

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 05:32:14 pm »

I experimented with the following command line options, all of which yield the same 'Database-Read Only' results: /Close, /Power, /Restart, /Sleep, /Start, and /StartAfterDelay.

Lawrence

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 09:27:53 am »

I guess you have "Allow multiple instances to run" checked? If so, what if you have it unchecked?

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 11:08:05 am »

With 'Allow multiple instances...' unchecked and no command line options, you get the message below (see image).

So far, the exercising of patience has been the best workaround. Perhaps I should reduce my morning coffee intake before noon from 5 cups down to 4 to support this new, unnatural, restrained effort  ;) .

Cheers,
Lawrence

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 11:42:53 am »

Perhaps I should reduce my morning coffee intake before noon from 5 cups down to 4 to support this new, unnatural, restrained effort  ;) .

Cheers,
Lawrence

LOL. Or do as i do, and increase to 6 cups, then you can take a "few extra sips" between restarts to extend the time.
Good luck.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 11:56:22 am »

That is some outstanding, George Costanza, thinking 'outside the box', advice ... excellent, thank you!
By the way, one has to assume that by now that poor bear's chin has got to be pretty raw and in need of medical attention.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 01:30:21 pm »

Something to try- Turn off tagging entirely in the options.
I wonder if it's trying to write a tag (play stats, rating?) to your last used file.

Annoyingly, this is a blocking operation when closing MC.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 05:52:33 pm »

Thanks.

Unfortunately, unchecking 'Update tags...' (Tools > Options > General > Import & Tagging) yielded the same 'Database Read-Only' results. I suspect this anomaly is related to the releasing of memory and other system resources which occurs during the exit process after MC is no longer aurally or visibly present. Empirically speaking, initiating 'Exit application', stops the playback of sound and the parent window is eliminated giving the appearance that the MC application has been stopped but proper exiting, the 'clean up' process if you will, from a Windows perspective, still requires a little more time to complete the proper elimination of the process from the active Windows set of processes. This is purely conjecture so I could be wrong.

Here's one more thought to consider on the 'Database Read-Only' occurrence. If I explicitly try to launch the application while it is active, I will get the same 'Database Read-Only' dialog box. So, from a comparison perspective, this would appear to indicate that the same 'active process' condition is being detected during the quick cycling (Exit/Launch), as is detected during the additional launch when the application is clearly known to be active (open).

So, my new 'mantra' is "Patience, my good man ... patience" (that and the brilliantly suggested extra cup of coffee suggested by my illustrious mate, CountryBumkin  ;) ).

Cheers,
Lawrence
Pages: [1]   Go Up