INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate detection idea...  (Read 5365 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Duplicate detection idea...
« on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:48 am »

Hi everyone,

I'm kicking around the idea of some sort of duplicate management code in Media Center.

Right now when you import from a network share (like M:\) you can also import from \\My Computer\Media even though it maps to the same place.  It can make things a little messy.

I'm considering expanding the paths like M:\ at import time to always be the full path like \\My Computer\Media.  This way you wouldn't be able to import two ways.

But the problem is that this will make a bit of a mess on libraries that have everything imported from a mapped drive because it'll start seeing a new filename.  I haven't figured out a way around this yet.  Any ideas?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DJLegba

Re: Duplicate detection idea...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 10:39:12 am »

Won't you need the long file name feature to be taken out of experimental mode before doing this? Also, I'd prefer to manage mappings etc myself and not have MC do an Apple and figure it knows better.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 04:15:29 am »

The idea of mapped drives is that the software doesn't need to know the real path behind it?  If you expand to the full path, and then I change the location of my stored media it will no longer be accessible?  Whereas with a mapped drive I can do what I want as long as I point the map to the right place...

Please don't break my library  :'(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:49:50 am »

What if we did this?

When MC first sees this condition (from Matt's post):
network share (like M:\) you can also import from \\My Computer\Media even though it maps to the same place

We then stop and say something like this:

"You have a mapped drive (M:) that maps to a network share (\\My Computer etc.).  Which one would you prefer to use?"

MC would then ignore the other and remove it from auto import.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:55:41 am »

I don't see this particular duplicate issue as being a frequently recurring problem for many customers.  I don't have any data of course.  Just my general impression based on the traffic I see in the forum.

I much more frequently see requests for a more generalized duplicate finder/removal tool. Writing that kind of tool would be a bigger job for sure and the logic wouldn't be nearly as straight forward.

I've built my own tools inside of MC to help with this process, but my process is very very manual and labor intensive.  I think the JRiver staff could probably write something that's semi-automated that would knock out several classes of duplicate detection.

Just some thoughts.

Brian.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 06:41:07 am »

I'd prefer MC to allow user defined path variables to be used so that the user can choose where that resolves to (and hence fixing the cross platform issue),it seems like this overlaps somewhat with the stated problem to me anyway.

Manfred

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 07:35:06 am »

I vote for JimH's answer. That would be ok for me.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 12:53:51 pm »

I'd prefer MC to allow user defined path variables to be used so that the user can choose where that resolves to (and hence fixing the cross platform issue),it seems like this overlaps somewhat with the stated problem to me anyway.
I believe you could still do that with what I proposed above.  You would have a choice of using a drive or a path. 

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 02:57:23 pm »

would it store the variable in the library?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 12:57:32 am »

What if we did this?

When MC first sees this condition (from Matt's post):
We then stop and say something like this:

"You have a mapped drive (M:) that maps to a network share (\\My Computer etc.).  Which one would you prefer to use?"

MC would then ignore the other and remove it from auto import.

Perhaps you can highlight duplicate (and also missing) paths in the library auto import setting dialog (say by marking the good paths with a green check icon, the duplicate paths with an orange exclamation icon, and the missing paths with a red no entry icon).

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

rajacat

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 01:40:39 am »

So how do you get rid of all the duplicates? Do I have to delete my library and reload all my music files? Will it happen again? What the easy to understand fix? There seems to be a flaw in the software.

rajacat

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 02:07:01 am »

So how do you get rid of all the duplicates? Do I have to delete my library and reload all my music files? Will it happen again? What the easy to understand fix? There seems to be a flaw in the software.
Well... I answered my own question. :) I deleted my library and reloaded it and I haven't discovered any duplicate files yet.

rajacat

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 06:41:46 pm »

Anybody developed a non nerd tool to get rid of recurring duplicate music files yet? I tried reloading my library but still finding duplicate files.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 06:43:25 pm »

We're working on it.

It often happens when a network share is also a mapped drive.   This can easily be avoided by setting up auto-import correctly.

rajacat

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 06:53:35 pm »

Well... I'll try to set up auto import again. As it is JRiver is almost no use to me unless I can solve this problem. Deleting the extra files takes too much time. I don't think the auto import function is the problem because the duplicate files were installed on the initial installation not auto imported later.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 07:00:05 pm »

The easiest way to delete is to search for the location and then soft delete.

For example, if you had files that were on

\\myshare\music
and also on
F:

You could search for F: (very carefully) and delete those files.

Try a few before you do very many.

rajacat

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 07:08:18 pm »

OK, I'll fiddle around with it some more. I might try deleting my main library again too and see if the duplicates happen again when I reinstall. I'll also check the files on my storage drive and make sure that there aren't doubles there.

rajacat

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 07:40:47 pm »

I deleted and reloaded my library and I haven't found any duplicates yet. :) I also reconfigured the auto import function. Looks good so far; time will tell.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 07:41:16 pm »

Under File > Library, you can Clear Library and then set up auto import.

rajacat

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 08:00:20 pm »

Under File > Library, you can Clear Library and then set up auto import.
Do you Clear Library> set up auto import> then import library from storage device or  Clear Library> import library>set up auto import.
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 09:21:30 pm »

Clear it and then immediately set up your auto-import options.

rajacat

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 10:33:40 pm »

Clear it and then immediately set up your auto-import options.
Aha! I thought that the auto-import was used for new files after the initial loading of my files from the storage device.
I'll clear the library again and try that. Thanks again.
Clearing the library isn't a problem. JRiver loads my 1+TB of music files quite quickly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up