INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on external sound card to be used to send spdif to receiver from laptop  (Read 2311 times)

thane108

• World Citizen

I'm looking at using a laptop for JRiver to replace my aging desktop.

I don't seem to be finding a reasonably priced laptop that has spdif out so I'm thinking about purchasing an external sound card.  I would come out of the laptop via usb - into the external sound card - then on to the receiver via spdif.

Example:  StarTech ICUSBAUDIO7D 7.1 Channels 16-bit 48KHz USB Interface Audio Adapter External Sound Card

Under that scenario, is the external sound card getting analog and converting to digital?  Does it reduce sample rate, etc.?

A little deep water for me - I would appreciate a little schoolin - and any advice.
Perseverance wins out in the end!

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Wouldn't you want a USB-S/PDIF converter?

Check the relevant heading noted below for some options:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/computer-audiophile-suggested-hardware-list/

The conversion lies in the digital domain, so bit perfect conversion should not be an issue. Bit depth and sampling rate will be equipment specific. One for you to research what suits your sources and hardware.

The converter would then allow your receiver to use its onboard DAC.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

thane108

• World Citizen

Thanks - that looks promising.

I noticed a wide range in costs -  huge.  The low end usb to spdif seem to get positive review and might just be adequate for my needs as I have a mid-range receiver/speaker config.

What do you think of this one?
Signstek HIFI USB to Coaxial S/PDIF Converter Decoder Convert Digital to Analogue Signal Mini USB DAC PCM 2704

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Decoder-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00FEDHHKE&pd_rd_r=37Q68NTNX9B54TXKPDP1&pd_rd_w=iQROi&pd_rd_wg=JC9tf&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=2KVFW0AGC9PCX62Z1MF0&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=781f4767-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb&pf_rd_i=desktop

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Just me but I'm a "whatever works" kind of guy. I reckon for the money that option is worth a punt - never hurts when you see consistently good reviews as well.

If your ears are happy then go no further. At the very least it offers a cheap proof of concept and then you can take your time scoping out better alternatives.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

thane108

• World Citizen

Thanks again - that suggestion really got me to what looks like a good solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up