INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Video resumption to last played position still does not work  (Read 17689 times)

stewart_pk

• Citizen of the Universe
Video resumption to last played position still does not work
« on: April 09, 2017, 10:29:33 pm »

I've had this problem for about as long as I can remember. Is anyone else having the same experience?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Video resumption to last played position STILL does not work.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:51:48 pm »

I take it you have "Tools--> Options-->General--> Behavior--> Resume playback using bookmarks" set?  I use "Ask" and it works for me.
JRiver CEO Elect

stewart_pk

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 11:35:42 pm »

I take it you have "Tools--> Options-->General--> Behavior--> Resume playback using bookmarks" set?  I use "Ask" and it works for me.

I'll check, does it work for Blu-ray Full Folder rips and ISO's?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 12:15:18 am »

It works for BD Folder Rips (no idea on ISO as I rip all to folders).
JRiver CEO Elect

stewart_pk

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 06:49:05 pm »

I'm yet to test this at home. Why do you have it set to "Ask" as opposed to "Automatic"? Have you found "Automatic" to be unreliable?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 07:03:06 pm »

Automatic works for me.

Other thoughts...
You may know already, but if you press "Stop" twice when stopping playback, it clears the bookmark.

Could that possibly be happening?

stewart_pk

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 07:11:05 pm »

Automatic works for me.

Other thoughts...
You may know already, but if you press "Stop" twice when stopping playback, it clears the bookmark.

Could that possibly be happening?

Does it work for Bluray Full Folder rips?

And no I did not know about the "Stop" twice functionality; how was I suppose to? :) Thanks for letting me know.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 08:34:42 pm »

I cannot say about Bluray rips as I don't own any, sorry. Works for all video files in my library, and regular DVD discs in the optical drive.

stewart_pk

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 11:32:00 pm »

OK, I believe I now know what the main problem is. I've been pressing the Back button on my remote when I want to stop playback as opposed to the actual Stop button. This returns me to the same screen in Theater View but does not create a bookmark. It's good to know that I seemingly can now but am hoping the developers can add the same bookmarking functionality to the Back button that the Stop button has?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 02:42:33 am »

Does applying 2 steps work?

1. Stop
2. Back
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 08:59:06 am »

Coming next build:
Changed: Pressing the "Back" button to return to Theater View now saves the bookmark.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

stewart_pk

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 10:16:02 pm »

Coming next build:
Changed: Pressing the "Back" button to return to Theater View now saves the bookmark.

Oh thank you!

This certainly one thing (among many) that separates JRiver from the others; the ability of the developers to constantly read user feedback and act on it.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 04:47:04 am »

The main reason back didn't work is because it doesn't actually stop playback, but it pauses it, so you can go back to where you were instantly.
You can also configure the back button behavior in the settings.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

stewart_pk

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 07:42:31 pm »

With the latest version of JRiver this is still a problem for me with bluray FULL DISC rips.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 09:40:34 pm »

With the latest version of JRiver this is still a problem for me with bluray FULL DISC rips.

The Bookmark functionality is working for me with full disc Blu-ray rips I have made with DVDfab. I don't rip to ISO files, preferring a full directory structure rip. I only tested a recent "Resident Evil" rip.

NOTE: I was testing on my HTPC, which is my MC Server, as none of my MC Clients have remote controls. Naturally, if trying this on a MC Client, the Client will need to be synchronising tags back to the server, and have time to do that before the Client is closed.

So then I tested on my Client using a keyboard and the Backspace key. Again, everything worked as expected.

I have wanted to test the playback resume function between the Server and Client for a while, so I did that while I was testing Bookmarking. As long as the Client was synchronised with the Server, I could start watching a movie on either the Client or the Server, and continue to watch it from the same point on the other PC. That work whether I paused via Back/Backspace, or Stopped playback on the first PC, then resumed playback on the second PC. Neat.

I synchronised the Client to the Server simply by opening it after stopping/pausing playback on the Server. I synchronised the Client back to the Server manually using the "Sync Change with Library Server" button under Playing Now in Standard View.

The main reason back didn't work is because it doesn't actually stop playback, but it pauses it, so you can go back to where you were instantly.

Whether the Back button pauses playback or not is controlled via the setting "Options > Theatre View > Behaviour > Pause video playback when entering Theatre View". I leave this setting unchecked so that live TV keeps playing in the TV Guide when I jump to the Guide using my remote button. I find it handy to leave it unchecked anyway, so that movies keep playing even when I am in Standard View or Theatre View menus. I can hear that the movie is still playing, and know to press Stop if I wish it to stop playing back, or the Media button (equivalent to Ctrl-3) on my remote to jump back to the movie in full screen. If, for example, I want to check some menu item, and may want to go back to the movie when done. As you have been pressing the Back button on your remote when you want to stop playback Paul, no doubt you have this setting ticked.

Anyway, I ticked this setting to test and everything worked with full disc Blu-ray rips.

In Theatre View, I selected Resident Evil and either pressed OK>Watch, or the Play button on the remote.
Pressing Back pauses the movie and updates the Bookmark. I checked the Bookmark tag via Standard View to be sure.
Pressing Back then Play while the movie was Paused and the movie was still highlighted in Standard or Theatre Views took me back to the movie full screen and playing at the correct location.
Pressing Back, then Stop, then Play (or OK, Watch) while the movie thumbnail was still highlighted started playback at the correct location.
Pressing Back, then navigating menus, then pressing the Media button, or Ctrl-3 if I was in Standard View, resumed playback at the correct location.
Double Stop cleared the Bookmark (although the gap between Stop presses needs to be a lot longer than it used to be. Still works.)

Paul, what steps are you doing to see a failure, how are you observing the failure, and what is in the Bookmark tag for the movie after you see a failure?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stewart_pk

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 10:22:00 pm »

Steps to reproduce the problem.

1) Play blu-ray rip video of movie ABC and then Stop or Go-Back.
2) Play audio file of XYZ.
3) Play blu-ray rip video of movie ABC.

Expected result: Will be prompted to resume or play movie ABC from the beginning.
Actual result: Movie ABC starts from the beginning.

NOTE: If I play movie ABC and then Stop or Go-Back and then play movie ABC before playing something else I will in fact be prompted to resume or play it from the beginning.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 02:43:43 am »

Okay, the difference between our two tests were that I didn't play something else in between, and I have "Resume playback using bookmarks" set to automatic.

Playing something in between should make no difference, as the Bookmark tag was being updated. But maybe I'll try that anyway. I'll also have to try the test with resumption set to "Ask".

Are you trying this on a MC Client, or on a MC Server/stand alone PC?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stewart_pk

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 03:15:19 am »

Are you trying this on a MC Client, or on a MC Server/stand alone PC?

All of my JRiver playback is from a stand alone PC.
Thanks for your effort.

stewart_pk

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 01:54:21 am »

So...

CountryBumkin

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 09:16:55 am »

I've been seeing issues with the Resume feature as well.
I didn't know why or when it would not resume (bookmarks are being created) - but thanks to your additional testing, I'll try again and see if playing something else in between is the cause.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 04:45:38 pm »

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=110653.0

Another thread on this issue.

Playing local mkvs on my server (local playback), the bookmark rarely work. Often there is a bookmark tag value, it could be a number in the 5x10^5 or something,  and it still starts playing from the start.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 05:06:13 pm »

When you stop a movie in the middle, if you press stop once, the bookmark is set and the movie should resume there.  But if you press stop twice, the bookmark will be ignored when you play the movie again.

Pause and stop are different.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 06:30:18 pm »

So...

Sorry. I haven't got back to it yet. Not forgotten though.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=110653.0

Another thread on this issue.

I think the key is the synchronisation of the Bookmark tag. If a Client is closed quickly after a Stop, it won't have time to synchronise. If a Client is left on or asleep with MC running all the time, it won't get a refresh of the library from the Server before trying to resume a movie that has just been Stopped on another PC. Even worse if a move is watched and Stopped on say a Family room Client PC, which is then shut down or sleeps and doesn't have time to sync, and then you wake a say bedroom Client PC and try to resume, without giving it the chance to sync first.

Playing local mkvs on my server (local playback), the bookmark rarely work. Often there is a bookmark tag value, it could be a number in the 5x10^5 or something,  and it still starts playing from the start.

I think if it never, or almost never works, then something is wrong specific to your environment. Settings maybe, or something unexpected such as a remote control that sends multiple "Stop" commands at the one press of the Stop button. Some remotes do that, repeat a command. Some are very sensitive to the length of the press. Some have sensitivity adjustments. Checking the Bookmark tag after stopping a movie on the Server should show whether it is being created, or cleared, when the movie is stopped.

Note that I had to refresh the tag window to see if the Bookmark tag had been created or changed during testing, as the display wasn't updated without a refresh. That caught me out at first. I should put the tag on my View to make it easier to see, as you have CountryBumkin.

Also, I found it useful to switch to Standard View after starting the movie, before hitting Stop, so that I could more easily see tag changes. The movie will continue to play in the Display Window in the Action Window area, so you can see where it is up to, and compare with the resume location.

stewart_pk

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 06:31:41 pm »

When you stop a movie in the middle, if you press stop once, the bookmark is set and the movie should resume there.  But if you press stop twice, the bookmark will be ignored when you play the movie again.

Pause and stop are different.

Roger, I think most of us understand that.

What do you think of my test scenario here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110183.msg766399.html#msg766399 ?

By the way KODI is working fine.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 12:34:44 am »

Okay, I did some more testing.

First, I set "Resume playback using bookmarks" to "Ask", and ticked "Pause video playback when entering Theatre View". So I should have the same settings as you Paul.

I tested both the Back key to pause playback, and the Stop button. I played a video, then played some music, then played the original video again. In each case, playing the file again resulted in me being asked if I wanted to resume, and when I said yes, playback resumed in the correct location. Basically everything worked when I was playing media on my HTPC which is the MC Server.

Steps to reproduce the problem.

Expected result: Will be prompted to resume or play movie ABC from the beginning.
Actual result: Movie ABC starts from the beginning.

NOTE: If I play movie ABC and then Stop or Go-Back and then play movie ABC before playing something else I will in fact be prompted to resume or play it from the beginning.

Notes:
0. This lot of testing was on my HTPC, which is also a MC Server, rather than just a stand alone PC. That shouldn't make any difference though. Playing stuff directly on the MC Server is the same as playing on a stand alone PC.
1. I used "Big Hero 6" this time, which is a full BD folder rip.
2. I played Jailbreak by AC/DC.  ;D I tried either leaving the music playing so that it was automatically stopped at step 3, or stopping it before moving on to the next step.
3. I did all the testing in Theatre View, but checked the Bookmark status in Standard View.

I always got the expected result. Every time.

BTW Paul if you pause the movie using Backspace, or any other method, then start playing the movie again without playing anything else in-between, as per your "NOTE" above, MC should not be asking you whether you want to resume or not, as that is just a Pause - Play cycle, and the Bookmark will not come into effect. MC won't need to read the Bookmark again, but will just start playing again from where it was last paused. If you Stopped playback, and then restarted it, MC will ask if you wish to resume, and use the Bookmark if you do.

So, bottom line Paul, I can't replicate your problem.

If you do some more testing, check the value of the bookmark after each of your three steps, and when you do, make sure that you refresh the view showing the Bookmark, as sometimes it will not be refreshed as you move between Standard and Theatre Views.

For other users in a Client/Server environment:
When I moved between the MC Server and my MC Client, as expected the synchronisation of the Client with the Server was a critical issue. Either the Client had to be opened (or closed and then re-opened) to force synchronisation, or I had to manually synchronise the Client using the button under Playing Now, or I had to wait an undetermined time for the Client to automatically synchronise with the server.

Pausing or Stopping playback on the Server, then opening the Client, or synchronising the Client which was already open and playing the same movie, worked every time. The functionality worked in the other direction as well, as long as the Client synchronised back to the Server before starting and resuming playback on the Server.

I saw some issues when going back and forth between the Server and the Client, which I won't document, because I think they were all caused by a lack of synchronisation between the two, or the fact the if you pause playback on the Server, resume and play some more movie on the Client, then go back to the Server and un-pause the movie, it doesn't resume from where the Client finished, because it doesn't read the Bookmark when it is simply resuming a paused movie. It just starts playing again. Very minor corner case, and probably a good reason not to use the Backspace = Pause feature in a Client/Server environment.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 11:24:50 am »

Regarding TV:
I used to NEVER have any issues starting playback on the Server, pressing stop, the "watched" field shows a percentage and date. Then going to a Client, seeing the same watched percentage/date, selecting watch, and the video resumes from the correct bookmark.

Something seems to have changed with recent versions, not sure when it happened. Clients (sometimes) will no longer show the watched percentage/date and playback starts at the beginning, not at the bookmark.

I run the Server and Clients 24/7, no sleep mode used. Until this recent change, I have NEVER had to refresh the client to see the watched percentage and have a working bookmark. It was always just there.

I do know MC Clients have to be restarted to pickup NEW series cover art. Maybe this bookmark issue is just another reason why we need a RESTART MC or REFRESH button in Theaterview.

With MC23 coming.... these are what's on my wish list:

- Add a "button" in Theater View to restart MC (not restart PC).

JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈØ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 07:08:47 pm »

Are you sure that it isn't just a timing issue tzr916? It does take a little while for the Bookmark to be synchronised between the Server and Clients. If you have changed your habits a bit, maybe you aren't giving it enough time any more? Or does it never happen now, no matter how long you wait?

BTW, aren't you sticking with MC22.0.76 for now, until the CPU load issue gets sorted out? In which case, recent changes don't matter much.  ;D

The "Add a "button" in Theater View to restart MC (not restart PC)" is easy. I didn't answer last time because I thought you would work it out.

Options > Theatre View > Items to show > Add button, select "External Program" from the list, then fill in the fields as per the attached image. Of course, you probably don't want to put the item at the top level, as I have in the example. This uses the standard MC Command Line option "MC22.exe /restart".

Works for me, with multiple tests. Of course, you need to have MC starting in Theatre View, and probably pick a Location to start in other than "Last Location", so that someone doesn't accidentally keep hitting the restart button.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 07:32:37 pm »

I kept my restart option off the screen, and just mapped it to a button on the remote control using MC's 'learning' feature.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
Re: Video resumption to last played position still does not work
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 08:52:08 pm »

BTW, aren't you sticking with MC22.0.76 for now, until the CPU load issue gets sorted out? In which case, recent changes don't matter much.  ;D

The "Add a "button" in Theater View to restart MC (not restart PC)" is easy. I didn't answer last time because I thought you would work it out.

Yaobing solved the JRTelevision.dll issue. Been using v22.0.110 for a few days now. New DLL incorporated into v23.0.13 (see version notes).

I guess it could be a timing issue/change of habits because it is only failing to show bookmarks ~50% of the time. I have not been able to figure out how to reproduce/troubleshoot.

Thanks for the info on adding a restart MC button! This will be setup on my clients ASAP.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 01:21:40 pm »

The restart MC button was easy to setup. Unfortunately, it does not help at all for refreshing client's tv show bookmarks issue.

I just had a show that recorded Friday night. I watched 19% Saturday night on the server. Then Sunday night went to the client and there was no bookmark. Hit the restart MC button, all the new show cover art refreshed, but that show still had no bookmark.

Strangely, bookmarks that get set on the client, show up instantly on the server.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 04:31:18 pm »

Weird, because a Client's copy of the library is completely refreshed from the Server on a restart of MC. Unless that is handled differently for that specific command, but I doubt it would be. Haven't tested though.

Have you checked if the bookmark is still on the Server when it doesn't appear on the Client? Maybe an accidental double Stop cleared it?

Does it always happen that way on a Client, or just sometimes, or the one time?

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 05:11:20 pm »

Have you checked if the bookmark is still on the Server when it doesn't appear on the Client? Maybe an accidental double Stop cleared it?

Oh yes, I am making it a point to check the server before going to the client, so I'm 100% sure I'm NOT clearing the bookmark by accident.

It doesn't happen all the time, and I can't figure out a pattern to it yet. The only clue I have right now is that it seems to happen the more often on LONG tv shows. If it's a 1 hour show, bookmarks show up every time. But if it's a 2 or 3 hour show, bookmarks don't show up on the client.

One thing I would like to see changed is, if a show has been watched all the way through, that it be marked 100% watched in stead of clearing the value.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2017, 05:26:55 pm »

What about after you have gone to the Client and found no bookmark, have you then gone back and checked the Server to see if it still has the bookmark? Could another Client have synchronised a blank bookmark back to the Server?

On the last point, have a read of this: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,85974.5.html

It is a bit old, but may give you some ideas.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 08:21:38 pm »

Oh yes, I am making it a point to check the server before going to the client, so I'm 100% sure I'm NOT clearing the bookmark by accident...

Mine is solved.... I should learn to never say "100% sure"  :-[  Found someone had programmed my Harmony with a stop command in the shut down activity. Removed from activity. All is well.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 01:56:36 am »

Mine is solved.... I should learn to never say "100% sure"  :-[  Found someone had programmed my Harmony with a stop command in the shut down activity. Removed from activity. All is well.

;D ;D ;D

It happens to the best of us! Never say 100% sure. Never say never.

You did put that in there for good reason though, if I remember correctly. I guess there will be some more user training at your house.  8)

stewart_pk

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 07:56:51 pm »

This is still a problem for me when playing and NOT resuming full bluray folder rips from last playback position, sigh.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 09:51:59 pm »

Well I couldn't replicate your problem at all Paul, as you know.

I don't think you ever confirmed for us that you had checked the Bookmark tag after each step in your "Steps to reproduce the problem" list.

So try the following and report waht you find

0) Check the Bookmark tag on a movie. Write it down.
1a) Check the Bookmark tag on the movie. Write it down.
2a) Check the Bookmark tag on the movie. Write it down.
3a) Where did the movie start from?

Do the above and report the result of each step, including the Bookmark values.

stewart_pk

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 07:26:52 am »

Well I couldn't replicate your problem at all Stewart, as you know.

I don't think you ever confirmed for us that you had checked the Bookmark tag after each step in your "Steps to reproduce the problem" list.

So try the following and report waht you find

0) Check the Bookmark tag on a movie. Write it down.
1a) Check the Bookmark tag on the movie. Write it down.
2a) Check the Bookmark tag on the movie. Write it down.
3a) Where did the movie start from?

Do the above and report the result of each step, including the Bookmark values.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

After stopping movie the bookmark value was 672413.
After playing random audio file the movie bookmark value was still 672413.
Playing the movie again it started from the very start of the movie without asking me to resume or restart.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2017, 07:17:42 pm »

Sorry, I let this one slip a bit.

Since the Bookmark is still in existence for the Blu-ray, resume at the last position should work. I believe it always has for me. I will have to try it with more Blu-ray full folder rips. I have a few to test.

I'm going to do a little more testing later in the day. See what happens to my bookmark for more movies.

stewart_pk

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2017, 11:40:51 pm »

Sorry, I let this one slip a bit.

Since the Bookmark is still in existence for the Blu-ray, resume at the last position should work. I believe it always has for me. I will have to try it with more Blu-ray full folder rips. I have a few to test.

I'm going to do a little more testing later in the day. See what happens to my bookmark for more movies.

Hey, no worries. Thanks again for your effort.

I just had what might be a stupid idea but I'm from Australia so consume Region B Blu-Ray discs.
Just wondering if that could have anything to do with it?
I full disc folder rip them with RedFox AnyDVD HD.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2017, 01:21:58 am »

I'm an Aussie as well so use Region B or Region Free Blu-rays.

A few questions I thought of;

1. How do you control MC and launch video and audio in MC? Remote Control, Keyboard, Keyboard and Mouse, JRemote or some other remote control software?

2. If you use a Remote Control, what is it? A Harmony, a standard or clone MCE remote, brand, model?

3. What file name is MC showing for the video/movies that give you trouble?
For example, my Blu-rays have a filename like "F:\Movies\Her (2013)\BDMV\index.bluray;1" in the MC library. i.e. MC points to a file in the \BDMV\ sub-directory which called "index.bluray" and doesn't actually exist. MC adds an index to point to "1", which I assume is the first or main feature on the Blu-ray disc. The actual file in that directory is "index.bdmv" and double-clicking on that file plays the movie. Actually so does double-clicking on the "MovieObject.bdmv" file in the \BDMV\ sub-directory.

I know you use a stand-alone PC and not a Client/Server arrangement, that you are viewing and playing video and audio using Theatre View, with the MC set to Pause the video when you hit Back to go back to the Theatre View menu system.
4. Anything else I missed, or unusual about your setup?

stewart_pk

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 06:53:49 pm »

1. I typically use an IR remote control. But I just tested it again using my keyboard and the same thing happens.

2. A Logitech Harmony Ultimate One with a clone MCE IR Dongle.

3. The filename appears just like you have an example of.

4. I use LM Remote Keymap for key-mapping.

stewart_pk

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2017, 07:01:41 pm »

I seems to be all about playing an AUDIO file in between stopping video and then resumption.
If I play movie A and then stop it, then close JRiver MC, then launch JRiver MC again, then play movie A it works!
If I play movie A and then stop it, then play movie B, then play movie A it works!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2017, 07:06:45 pm »

Have you tested with this uninstalled?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2017, 08:30:21 pm »

I almost didn't do any testing when I saw this. I expect it is sending an additional Stop command at some point, which clears the Bookmark.

I decided to test anyway. I used Theatre View only, with my Harmony Remote Control for all commands in the test, but used my keyboard to find media quickly. I had my MC Client running on my Workstation at the same time, and used it to check the Bookmark value at each step. I did three tests with three separate movies combined with three separate music tracks. Results are shown in the attached image. All tests were successful. The Bookmark functionality worked every time, as before.

So, I'm not familiar with LM Remote Keymap, but with a little bit of research, I can see that it is quite capable of recognising the status of a Home Theatre and taking different actions based on that status. Much like the Harmony Remote software. For example, I watched a video where the user had set up his own Home Theatre and was able to switch between watching content on his projector or on his TV, and LM Remote Keymap would know to turn off the projector and turn on the TV, switch inputs, but retain the source he was playing.

As your problem only exist when you switch from playing Audio to playing Movies, I suspect that LM Remote Keymap is recognising that condition and sending a Stop command before it sends a Play command for the movie. The Stop would clear the Bookmark and the movie would start from the beginning every time. As the problem happens whether you use your keyboard or Remote Control, LM Remote Keymap must capture and modify what gets sent to MC regardless of the source. I didn't investigate LM Remote Keymap enough to confirm that though.

LM Remote Keymap has five levels of Trace in its settings. I suggest you turn on at least level "3 : Trace infos" or level "4 : Trace all (verbose)", and see if a Stop command is being sent.

If that doesn't show anything, you could use MC's log from the just after you stop a movie, through playing audio, until you start the movie again and see if a Stop command is received just before the movie Play command.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2017, 08:38:53 pm »

"So for these buttons LM Remote KeyMap is installing a global keyboard hook that intercept all keyboard events (including those coming your regular keyboard or other HID keyboard device) and prevent the events corresponding to the buttons listed above to propagate to all Windows applications. Instead LM Remote KeyMap will issue its own action when you press those buttons on your remote (or the key on your keyboard)."
http://www.lmgestion.net/@en-us/4-22-60-lm_remote_keymap_faq.htma#B_2_4

That explains why the same thing happens using your keyboard or remote.

stewart_pk

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2017, 08:42:47 pm »

Have you tested with this uninstalled?

I don't think so. How about I just stop it and then try again?

stewart_pk

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2017, 08:46:19 pm »

I almost didn't do any testing when I saw this. I expect it is sending an additional Stop command at some point, which clears the Bookmark.

I decided to test anyway. I used Theatre View only, with my Harmony Remote Control for all commands in the test, but used my keyboard to find media quickly. I had my MC Client running on my Workstation at the same time, and used it to check the Bookmark value at each step. I did three tests with three separate movies combined with three separate music tracks. Results are shown in the attached image. All tests were successful. The Bookmark functionality worked every time, as before.

So, I'm not familiar with LM Remote Keymap, but with a little bit of research, I can see that it is quite capable of recognising the status of a Home Theatre and taking different actions based on that status. Much like the Harmony Remote software. For example, I watched a video where the user had set up his own Home Theatre and was able to switch between watching content on his projector or on his TV, and LM Remote Keymap would know to turn off the projector and turn on the TV, switch inputs, but retain the source he was playing.

As your problem only exist when you switch from playing Audio to playing Movies, I suspect that LM Remote Keymap is recognising that condition and sending a Stop command before it sends a Play command for the movie. The Stop would clear the Bookmark and the movie would start from the beginning every time. As the problem happens whether you use your keyboard or Remote Control, LM Remote Keymap must capture and modify what gets sent to MC regardless of the source. I didn't investigate LM Remote Keymap enough to confirm that though.

LM Remote Keymap has five levels of Trace in its settings. I suggest you turn on at least level "3 : Trace infos" or level "4 : Trace all (verbose)", and see if a Stop command is being sent.

If that doesn't show anything, you could use MC's log from the just after you stop a movie, through playing audio, until you start the movie again and see if a Stop command is received just before the movie Play command.

Hi again, like I said before a few posts back (#37) the Bookmark value is NOT being cleared.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2017, 09:20:15 pm »

I don't think so. How about I just stop it and then try again?
Disabling a program isn't the same as uninstalling it, but there's no harm in disabling it first, and then uninstalling.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2017, 09:29:10 pm »

Hi again, like I said before a few posts back (#37) the Bookmark value is NOT being cleared.

No, you didn't. What you said was;

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

After stopping movie the bookmark value was 672413.
After playing random audio file the movie bookmark value was still 672413.
Playing the movie again it started from the very start of the movie without asking me to resume or restart.

What I'm saying now is that the Bookmark is being cleared after you stop playing the audio, but not immediately. Only just before you start playing the movie. Something like selecting Play using any of the methods possible (Play, OK buttons, Keyboard Enter, etc.) issues a "Stop, Play" command sequence.

If you do a test where you play the movie, stop it, play the audio, play the movie again and it starts from the beginning, then;
Press Ctrl-1 on your keyboard to go to Standard View. The movie should keep playing in the Action Window area.
Use Standard View to find the movie.
Use the Tag Window, or add the Bookmark column to a View, and check the Bookmark value. I think it will be cleared.

When you follow the above sequence the movie shouldn't be Paused and so the Bookmark value won't be saved. If it is empty now, then something is clearing the Bookmark, and LM Remote Keymap is the likely culprit.

So, check the LM Remote Keymap logs as I suggested,

or, check the MC logs as I suggested,

or, disable LM Remote Keymap and test (it has a disable function Jim, which should stop it interfering, may require a reboot or Administrator privileges to do),

or, uninstall LM Remote Keymap as Jim suggested and test.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up