INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with a Remote Control System for Use Within a Dual Zone System  (Read 1168 times)

kindofblue

Greetings Community,

I want to add a tablet style remote control to the system. The problem is there appears to be too many choices. I am not exactly which direction to go.  Hopefully someone can point me in the proper direction based upon the following details.

My entire system is connected via wired LAN. WIFI is available in my home as well.I also have all of my music sourced from a Western Digital NAS drive residing on the network.

I have a 2 ZONE MC22 setup. Bedroom and Living Room:

Zone 1. Bedroom

MC22 Server/ Lenovo Workstation/Windows 10 Pro/ driving powered speakers from an onboard sound card/ Connected to an ethernet switch.

Zone 2. Living Room

MC22 Client/Lenovo Laptop/Windows 10 Pro/ bluetooth/ Driving TEAC NT-503 DAC via USB 2.0 Connection/ to Audio System (Aux in)/connected wired to Ethernet switch also.

The DAC is connected to the network via Ethernet connection also. My DAC can also see my Full NAS drive library by itself without JRiver MC22. I can use my Smart Phone via WiFi (Android) (Teac App) for that.

My system sounds amazing. All is good in regards to connectivity, MC22 is just a game changer.

Problem is:

I want a tablet to sit on my coffee table and use the tablet interface to control my music in Zone 2 Living room. How cool would that be? The caveat is I want to hear the music through my amazing DAC that feeds my system. So the Zone 2 laptop would have to be involved in some way.

I am not sure where these remote control systems source their music from:

1.Could a touch panel remote system control my Zone 2 laptop with the USB DAC?

2.What do I have to do/get so that I can control my system via touch screen tablet remote in the living room

3.My DAC also has different inputs if this is helpful

4. Does the remote system source audio from my NAS or not?

I apologize for this quiz like presentation however maybe there is someone who can assist!

I have not purchased anything in this regard so I'm open in regards to gear.

Who knows maybe I cannot do anything I am just not sure.

I saw the HP IR kit and that made sense to me connecting to my Zone 2 laptop however that is not exactly what I am looking to do.

Both Zone systems get the latest automatic JRiver MC22 updates

Thank you all in advance for any assistance in this regard

Best!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help with a Remote Control System for Use Within a Dual Zone System
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 09:17:28 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  Please read this:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Remotes

A phone or tablet could run JRemote, Gizmo, or Panel.  You would have MC import your media from the NAS drive, and then connect to MC from your phone.

kindofblue

Re: Help with a Remote Control System for Use Within a Dual Zone System
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 07:59:05 am »

Wow. This works...

My Install Summary

1. I read your response
2. Decided to try remote control ability with my Galaxy S5 while in the Living Room
3. Downloaded the Gizmo App.
4. Entered my server key number when prompted.
5. Gizmo asked what MC22 client/Zone I wanted it to control.
6. I chose Laptop/Zone 2
7. Observed the MC22 server library build on my phones display.
8. Chose a playlist . The music started to play. Just as if I was at my server.
9. Also noticed the Album grid on the phones display. Perfect
10.I was able to scroll through the album grid and choose an album.
11.This is exactly what I was looking for.
11 All sound played through my DAC to my system.

I was not able to control the volume on the system and I know why. With Gizmo, It did raise and lower the PC volume however when My DAC is in use with the laptop, the DAC volume actually works and I control the volume with the DAC remote. Its just a matter of having the DAC remote available on the table. - Not an issue.

Going to order an Android tablet now....

This is just fantastic. Thanks JIMH for your reply. It was all that I needed to know to move forward.

Going to order an Android tablet now....

Thankyou.
Pages: [1]   Go Up