INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instructions: Upgrading the IdNUC Firmware  (Read 27067 times)

RodA

Re: Id NUC MC22 Firmware Upgrade
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2017, 11:39:17 am »

After step#8 below I get an instruction to "get a newer version of e2fsck!"  I am unable to perform this task.  Please advise.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2017, 08:39:01 am »

After step#8 below I get an instruction to "get a newer version of e2fsck!"  I am unable to perform this task.  Please advise.
Are you certain you are using the MC22 Id image and not a MC20 Id image?
PM me with your NUC serial number and approximate purchase date please.

Smilin_Jim

• Recent member
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2018, 05:46:26 pm »

I just start the process of updating my NUC to MC22 and ran into an interesting wrinkle that I don't see documented here.  I was on the part about backing up the library where it says to browse from a PC to the NUC's \InternalStorage\media directory. I am running the latest version of Win10 and could not browse to it even though I knew where the directory was.  In fact, I could not get a response from the NUC via file manager or the web browser at all unless I was aiming at Panel. Remote Desktop also worked fine. 

Finally, I tried to map the drive and got a message that the server was using SMB1 protocol and that Windows would not connect to anything less than a server using SMB2 protocol.
To work around this, go to Control Panel>Programs and Features and choose "Turn Windows Features On and Off" on the left pane. In the pop-up box scroll down to and expand the "SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" topic. "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client" needed to be checked.  The system then needed to reboot and BAM! now I can browse to the media directory.

Apparently this is a new switch or they just started setting it to off by default, but when it is on you can access the directories as required for the backup.

:)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2018, 05:57:50 pm »

I think you are probably correct, and you've pointed out a possible solution to a problem I saw, but here's a workaround:

In Windows Explorer, select Network, then enter the IP address of the Id.  (You can see the address by using #11 on the text menu on the Id.)

Here's an example:

\\192.168.1.1

You should see two folders on the Id:

ExternalStorage
InternalStorage

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2018, 06:00:41 pm »

I wrote that a few minutes ago, but posted it in the wrong place.

You're absolutely correct.  I tried your solution and it worked!  Thank you.

That's a problem I've spent a lot of time on the last few weeks.  I was sure that I had seen the Id show up as a computer in the Network section of Explorer, but I couldn't get it to work.

It's almost certain that the problem was related to a Win10 update.

Thank you very much for posting the details.

davisford

• World Citizen
Re: Instructions: Upgrading the IdNUC Firmware
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2018, 07:38:56 pm »

4) Download the appropriate repair image (just over 1 GB) from the list below.
Media Center 20 repair image (for the 2820 Id's)http://files.jriver.com/Id/idrepair13.iso
Media Center 20 repair image (for the NUC5CPYH Id's)http://files.jriver.com/Id/Id2/id2repair5.iso
Media Center 22 repair image (for the 2820 and NUC5CPYH): http://files.jriver.com/Id/Id3/id3repair4.iso
Media Center Id repair image (all NUC models): http://files.jriver.com/Id/IdX/idXrepair3.img (Latest)

I'm confused by the list above.  Which image am I supposed to use?  I attached a pic of my Id.  I bought the hardware from you, not just the USB stick.

I only use it to mount the files from a NAS and serve those so I don't care about backing it up.

It is currently running Media Center 20.x version, and I'd like to upgrade MC to 24.  I have a master license for MC 24.

BradATIMA

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2018, 07:44:16 am »

I'm confused by the list above.  Which image am I supposed to use?  I attached a pic of my Id.  I bought the hardware from you, not just the USB stick.

I only use it to mount the files from a NAS and serve those so I don't care about backing it up.

It is currently running Media Center 20.x version, and I'd like to upgrade MC to 24.  I have a master license for MC 24.

You want the last image on the list (Media Center Id). The master license doesn't apply to the Id's, so you will need to request a new license if you haven't already. It's free, and the instructions for getting the license are in step 1 in the instuctions for performing the upgrade, which are in the first post in this topic.

MLD

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2019, 07:41:08 am »

Hello, I successfully upgraded my NUC ID to MC24, but it no longer outputs to my Chord Hugo DAC.  (Otherwise it is working; for example, I can use Gizmo to play from my cellphone.)

MLD

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2019, 07:57:00 am »

OK, after numerous reboots, now playing to my DAC.  Life is good again. :)

Deurges

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2019, 06:14:54 pm »

Hi all,
I just tried to upgrade my NUC5CPYH to the latest Media Center Id firmware.

I got problems during first update step.

1 to check/repair the Id file system.

Code: [Select]
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/p1
Possibly non-existent device?

4 to Restore the Id firmware didn't worked.

Enter the name of the drive to re-install to. (default = ):
fdisk: cannot open /dev/: Is a directory

I already updated the bios to the latest version but got the same problem.

Can anyody help?

Deurges

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2019, 02:01:55 pm »

Hi,
To give you an additional hint, according to the instructions it should be
(default = sda)
It seems like the SDA hard drive is not identified.

BradATIMA

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2019, 09:21:56 am »

Hi all,
I just tried to upgrade my NUC5CPYH to the latest Media Center Id firmware.

I got problems during first update step.

1 to check/repair the Id file system.

fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/p1
Possibly non-existent device?

4 to Restore the Id firmware didn't worked.

I already updated the bios to the latest version but got the same problem.

Can anyody help?

Continuing the thread https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117702.msg825917.html#msg825917 here because it shouldn't be in the new update available thread.

The last post mentioned restoring the default BIOS settings. This will probably make the Id unable to boot, so you need to make a couple of changes to the BIOS settings.

Advanced -> Power -> Secondary Power Settings
- Change "After Power Failure" to "Last State"
- Uncheck "PCIe ASPM Support"

Advanced -> Boot -> Boot Priority -> Legacy Boot Priority
- Check "Legacy Boot" This one is important. The Id will not boot if Legacy is not enabled.

Advanced -> Boot -> Boot Configuration -> UEFI Boot
- Change "OS Selection" to "Linux"

Advanced -> Boot -> Boot Configuration -> Boot Devices
- Uncheck "Optical"
- Changed "Network Boot" to "Disabled" Note: Enabling Legacy boot will change this selection. Enable Legacy Boot first.

Once you restore these BIOS settings, are you able to boot the Id normally?

Deurges

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2019, 05:13:23 pm »

Upgrade instruction:
10) Next, you will be shown your drives. Only one drive should appear! If you have more than one, remove the external drives and reboot and try again.
      In the prompt 'Enter the name of the drive to reinstall to.' You SHOULD see 'default = sda.' If you do, just hit enter without entering anything.

My screen output:

I solved the problem. I just entered sda manually and the upgrade process started successfully.

Thanks Mike

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2019, 05:05:15 am »

Last week I rebuilt my Nuc Id using

Media Center Id repair image (MC25)(all NUC models): http://files.jriver.com/Id/IdX/idXrepair8.img (Latest)

After it was all finished I did a 12 from the main menu and all looks well running .123

However I have lost the ability to play the BBC HLS streams.
 I remember speaking with Bob when the Id was on an early version of MC25 and he said it was missing a dependency, but he did some magic and it worked.
Just wondering if that decoder is missing from the build?

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2019, 03:38:11 am »

Media Center Id repair image (MC25)(all NUC models): http://files.jriver.com/Id/IdX/idXrepair8.img (Latest)

After it was all finished I did a 12 from the main menu and all looks well running .123

I remember speaking with Bob when the Id was on an early version of MC25 and he said it was missing a dependency, but he did some magic and it worked.

Bump

BradATIMA

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2019, 08:46:17 am »

Is there a thread on the forum about this? I don't know what it is Bob did to make it work, but he isn't in this week, so you might need to wait until he gets back. You could try running option 12 again if you only ran it once. Sometimes it can't pull down all the updates in one go because something might require a dependency to already be added.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2019, 11:00:34 am »

Is there a thread on the forum about this? I don't know what it is Bob did to make it work, but he isn't in this week, so you might need to wait until he gets back. You could try running option 12 again if you only ran it once. Sometimes it can't pull down all the updates in one go because something might require a dependency to already be added.

Last time it happened I sent Bob a log file

Name="Filename">http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_one.m3u8</Item><Item Name="PlaylistIndex">0</Item><Item Name="AlbumSequentialWithLastTrack">0</Item><Item Name="SampleRate">48000</Item><Item Name="VolumeReset">1</Item><Item Name="Channels">2</Item><Item Name="ErrorFreeMode">0</Item><Item Name="VolumePeakLevels"></Item><Item Name="MediaType">Audio</Item><Item Name="DatabaseKey">105360</Item><Item Name="VolumeTrackMaxSafeGain">-1</Item><Item Name="Bitrate"></Item><Item Name="Bookmark"></Item><Item Name="BitDepth">32</Item><Item Name="LengthInPCMBlocks"></Item><Item Name="VolumeLeveling">-10</Item><Item Name="DSP"></Item><Item Name="FileType">hls</Item><Item Name="UserInterfaceModeChangeEventHandle">00000000</Item></XMLFN>
0008001: 3068348224: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Start
0008001: 3068348224: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Volume protection: 1
0008001: 3068348224: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Playing: http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_one.m3u8
0008001: 3068348224: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Filetype: hls; Type: 19; Can play: 1; Playback object: 0xd3f4d90
0008001: 3068348224: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::StartPlayFile: Start
0008009: 3068348224: Playback: CMJPlaybackType::Play: Start
0008016: 3068348224: Playback: CMJPlayerCore::Play: Start
0008019: 3068348224: Playback: CConfigureALSADlg::CConfigureALSADlg: Loaded ALSA zone 0
0008019: 3068348224: Playback: CMJPlayerCore::Play: Created feeder helper for type hls (native: 1)
0008020: 3068348224: Playback: DependencyInstaller::GetInstalledFilename: Dependency 'linux_avcodec' (27) is missing, installing
0008020: 3068348224: Playback: DependencyInstaller::Install: Start
0008020: 2803886912: Reader: CLinuxINetReader::OpenRange: Start
0008020: 2803886912: Reader: CLinuxINetReader::OpenRange: Opening http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/redirects/MC/Id/redirect.pl?

BradATIMA

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2019, 12:28:48 pm »

Last time it happened I sent Bob a log file

Name="Filename">http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_one.m3u8</Item><Item Name="PlaylistIndex">0</Item><Item Name="AlbumSequentialWithLastTrack">0</Item><Item Name="SampleRate">48000</Item><Item Name="VolumeReset">1</Item><Item Name="Channels">2</Item><Item Name="ErrorFreeMode">0</Item><Item Name="VolumePeakLevels"></Item><Item Name="MediaType">Audio</Item><Item Name="DatabaseKey">105360</Item><Item Name="VolumeTrackMaxSafeGain">-1</Item><Item Name="Bitrate"></Item><Item Name="Bookmark"></Item><Item Name="BitDepth">32</Item><Item Name="LengthInPCMBlocks"></Item><Item Name="VolumeLeveling">-10</Item><Item Name="DSP"></Item><Item Name="FileType">hls</Item><Item Name="UserInterfaceModeChangeEventHandle">00000000</Item></XMLFN>
0008001: 3068348224: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Start
0008001: 3068348224: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Volume protection: 1
0008001: 3068348224: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Playing: http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_one.m3u8
0008001: 3068348224: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Filetype: hls; Type: 19; Can play: 1; Playback object: 0xd3f4d90
0008001: 3068348224: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::StartPlayFile: Start
0008009: 3068348224: Playback: CMJPlaybackType::Play: Start
0008016: 3068348224: Playback: CMJPlayerCore::Play: Start
0008019: 3068348224: Playback: CConfigureALSADlg::CConfigureALSADlg: Loaded ALSA zone 0
0008019: 3068348224: Playback: CMJPlayerCore::Play: Created feeder helper for type hls (native: 1)
0008020: 3068348224: Playback: DependencyInstaller::GetInstalledFilename: Dependency 'linux_avcodec' (27) is missing, installing
0008020: 3068348224: Playback: DependencyInstaller::Install: Start
0008020: 2803886912: Reader: CLinuxINetReader::OpenRange: Start
0008020: 2803886912: Reader: CLinuxINetReader::OpenRange: Opening http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/redirects/MC/Id/redirect.pl?

Is there a video file you can try playing? If so, try playing it, and if it works, try playing the stream after. It looks like it just might not have downloaded some codecs it needs.

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2020, 09:56:09 am »

Just updated my ID NUC from 24 to 25.
Perfect.
Thanks for perfect instructions and perfect image.
Mike in Germany

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2020, 05:29:31 pm »

Hello. Respectfully requesting help.
I just followed instructions successfully to step 14. At step 15, from Id menu, I key in option 18, and hit enter. The Id menu flickers but does not present a new license entry screen.
UPDATE: I have since run option 12, check for updates. This ran. Rebooted. Then ran option 18, which allows me to enter a License Key. I punch in the number sent to me by JRiver. The key is accepted. I reboot, but I am still at MC 20.
Suggestions?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2020, 12:36:34 pm »

Hello. Respectfully requesting help.
I just followed instructions successfully to step 14. At step 15, from Id menu, I key in option 18, and hit enter. The Id menu flickers but does not present a new license entry screen.
UPDATE: I have since run option 12, check for updates. This ran. Rebooted. Then ran option 18, which allows me to enter a License Key. I punch in the number sent to me by JRiver. The key is accepted. I reboot, but I am still at MC 20.
Suggestions?
If you are still seeing MC20 then the update didn't happen.

Check the bios of the NUC, it should have the boot order such that the HD drive is listed before USB. Then when you boot the computer hit F10 to select the USB boot.
If the NUC thinks the USB is first then it will get mixed up between the SSB drive and HD as to which is /dev/sda.

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2020, 05:44:54 pm »

Thanks. A few questions: 1. Not sure how to check NUC BIOS; 2. First file attached shows no version string. Am I using an older repair image? I used 2.3 as suggested by instructions); 3. I also get more than 1 sda. Same cause?
If I'm using an old image, more specific Rufus instructions would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2020, 05:57:36 pm »

Try Google for the BIOS question.

BradATIMA

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2020, 08:20:00 am »

Thanks. A few questions: 1. Not sure how to check NUC BIOS; 2. First file attached shows no version string. Am I using an older repair image? I used 2.3 as suggested by instructions); 3. I also get more than 1 sda. Same cause?
If I'm using an old image, more specific Rufus instructions would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing 2.3 refers to the Rufus version. We suggest that version because it's what we use here. However, the repair image version is different. For the latest one, you need to make sure you downloaded the latest repair image from the link in the instructions. The latest repair image is idXrepair8.img

Seeing three sda partitions is normal.

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2020, 12:06:31 pm »

Thanks. That looks like it could be the issue. I downloaded the image directly associated with my NUC model not realizing latest was for all models. Note to self: read ALL the instructions. I’ll try the latest and circle back.

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2020, 06:44:34 pm »

Eureka! This community and it's leaders rock. Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2020, 07:48:57 am »

Eureka! This community and it's leaders rock. Thanks.
:)

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2020, 03:37:08 am »

Has the “latest “ image version of the repair stick been upgraded to have the same version of Linux that the non ID version of MC uses?

If not will there be one?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2020, 06:26:10 am »

If the repair stick isn't the latest, you can get the latest by using option #12 on the text menu.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2020, 08:06:27 am »

Has the “latest “ image version of the repair stick been upgraded to have the same version of Linux that the non ID version of MC uses?

If not will there be one?
Make sure you start with the idXrepair8.img
After installing that and doing the update as Jim said you should be at 26.0.80 as of today.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up