INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buffer Overrun??  (Read 1366 times)

Curtis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Buffer Overrun??
« on: July 12, 2003, 04:06:35 pm »

I ran into this error message trying to install MJ9 build: Buffer overrun detected! Program:c:\temp\RarSFX0\InstallWizard.exe. Installation cannot continue. The title bar reads Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.
     I finally uninstalled (not my library files) and tried again, but I get the message each time. Don't know what to do next. Now I don't have a working copy at all.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Buffer Overrun??
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 04:33:21 pm »

No idea really, but what version of MC are you trying to install?  And what version of Windows?  Did you have MC installed before?  

nila

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 05:48:23 pm »

Have you tried downloading it again?

I've been installing it for years on different systems with nothing like that.

I'd guess you might have a corrupt setup file?

Try downloading it again and see if that fixes it.

Curtis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 06:27:08 pm »

I'm running Windows XP SR1, yes, I've been running a registered version of Media Jukebox 8 that I upgraded ages ago to versions of MC 9, and today when going from .210 to .213 the the problem started. Then I uninstalled, which maybe was a mistake. Having done that, cleaned out the registry, and still getting this error with two versions of MC (210 and 213), it's not the install files. I've copied over version 180 from a backup machine, including the registry keys that will hopefully let it load. Now when trying to load it I get the message that it isn't registered. When I use a restore file downloaded today to re-register it, I get "Failed to create registration control." I *think* if I can get the registration to work, the backup might load. And if I strip it out again, I'm sure I'll get the buffer overrun. In fact I don't know how I'm going to upgrade from here on out, but if I can get some version running I'll live with it while I can collect my wits...

Marko

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 01:38:06 am »

Did you try clearing your temp folder?
That's the first thing to try if you didn't already. Odds-on that'll fix your problem.

-marko

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 04:39:52 am »

Marko's suggestion is a good one.

In IE, go to Internet Options, temporary Internet files, and do "delete files".

Also, I'm not sure whether you're saying that you know your download is good because it works on another machine.  If so, that's not the problem.  If it doesn't, the download itself could be bad.  We saw that a few times recently when people were using "Star Downloader".  Disable any download management software if you're not sure.

I don't think there is a problem with the MC builds themselves.

gkerber

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2003, 08:59:14 am »

I've gotten and reported previously that I've got the buffer overrun Visual C++ Error before, when just running MC 9.0.

Marko

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2003, 09:36:40 am »

I've gotten and reported previously that I've got the buffer overrun Visual C++ Error before, when just running MC 9.0.

Yup. Me too. Try enabling ASIO and then connecting to a .wma or .ram streaming audio source and you'll get this error with an awful din thrown in for good measure, but curtis' problem is a bit different as he cannot even get the program installed and running, and I have never experienced that. (/me nervously touches nearest lump of wood ;))

How you getting on with this curtis?
Pages: [1]   Go Up