INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All tag info erased in .ape file!?!?  (Read 1242 times)

j2m2s

• nothing more to say...
All tag info erased in .ape file!?!?
« on: July 12, 2003, 11:24:07 am »

I bought Media Center a while ago but have been using Media Judebox because of this strange problem I've encountered. All my music files are .ape and most have cover art associated with them. With MC8, I can freely edit all the tags within the program and the tags in the actual .ape file will be updated.

This is not the case with MC9. I update ANY field, and everything seems to be all right, but in fact all the information in the tage of the .ape has been erased!!! Of course it still looks fine from within MC9 due to the strange library file that stores the information instead of the actual music file. Reloading the library or converting files is out of the question. All the tag information is completely gone. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing some really obvious option in the option menu, like "Don't erase my tags!". Thanks!

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: All tag info erased in .ape file!?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 11:29:26 am »

MJ8 uses APE v1.0 tags, MC9.x uses APE v2.0 tags. If you add/edit tags in MC, they will be APE v2.0 tags and MJ can only read v1.0 tags.

Rob

j2m2s

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 11:36:47 am »

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if that is the problem. Let's say I change a couple titles, remove the entire library from MC, and then re-import my files. Never failing, the tags of the files I changed the titles of are all blank or (unassigned). This is all happening without any use of of MJ8. Also, if I convert the blank tag files to MP3, the MP3 files have blank fields in their tags, too.

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 01:19:30 pm »

Do you have Update tags when file info changes selected in Tools/Options/General/Importing & Tagging? I believe that's the setting that makes sure MC makes changes to the tags and not just the library.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up