INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can"t access music  (Read 2991 times)

dasphd

• Recent member
can"t access music
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:16:25 pm »

Hi,

I cannot play my music . When I click on an album a message comes up that "the file could not be found - check that the file name in the library matches the file name on the disc." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: can"t access music
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 05:54:57 am »

That message means that MC does not see your music files in the place where they were when they were imported into MC.

You may have moved your music files, or had them on an external drive or something.

If you don't care about your history, the fastest way to fix this is to start over:  Clear the library and then import your music files into your new library.

File > Library > clear library
Tools > import > import a single folder

Good luck.

Brian.

dasphd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:59:23 am »

Thank you Brian - it worked  - but I was unable to access all of my recordings-any suggestions? Thanks - David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:31:10 pm »

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 01:13:55 pm »

- but I was unable to access all of my recordings-any suggestions?

I don't know what you mean.  Please give us some more details about what's going on.

Brian.

dasphd

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 02:38:24 pm »

When I cleared the library and reinstalled the same I only got 183 of 948 albums that I had saved. I wanted to know if there is a way to recapture all of the data that i seemed to have lost. Thanks. David

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 03:47:29 pm »

MC should read all of the files from the directories that you do import on.  Do you see files on disk that are not in MC's inventory?  Are they in the directory or directories that you ran import on?

It's possible that you have some files that have missing or incomplete metadata.  Find a few examples of albums that you can find on disk, but you don't see in MC.  Then, in MC's search box, type part of the file name.  See if the file or files show up then.  If they do, then it's a metadata problem.  If MC doesn't have them at all, then you probably need to import the parent directory where these files are located.

It's hard to say what's going on without more information.

Did you have a disk crash?  Or move around files?  Or move or lose an external disk?  Or rename a disk?  I'm wondering why your library became completely inaccessible in the first place.  That seems like the right place to start.

Brian.

dasphd

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 05:42:22 pm »

I can play all the files I imported via the method you suggested. However, there are many more files in my backup files than I currently imported. I seem to remember that when I migrated from MC 21 to MC 22 I had a similar problem and am not sure what I did to obtain all of my files. When I try to restore some of these earlier libraries is when I get the message that I initially wrote about. In essence, I am trying to resurrect my old back ups so that I can have all my music again.

As to your other question I am not sure what happened. It seems that many of the old albums wound up in my trash, but I am not sure how to resurrect them.

Thanks again

David

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 05:56:24 pm »

I'm not sure how to reply.  I don't really have any information to help lead me to a solution for you.

If you have more information, feel free to post.  If you have questions, please ask.  Good luck.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 06:18:19 pm »

Did you read the wiki topic on importing?
Pages: [1]   Go Up