INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hangs and disable of CD-RW  (Read 1880 times)

campgems

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
hangs and disable of CD-RW
« on: July 07, 2003, 08:23:40 pm »

I am currently using (or trying to) Version 9.0.180, but this problem also shows with Musci Jukebox V9.

I will sometimes just hang.  Requires a reset or power off to free up.  This is while setting up to rip.  Sometimes, I will the a message that "WINOLDAP" has cause a GP Fault in WinOA386.Mod.  I tell it to cancel, and it keeps on ripping.  Sometimes when I start to rip, the disk list will come up, and on the left side of the screen, where it shows the CD's attaqched, it will flick back and forth like someone is ckicking the + an - next to CD  After it starts this, my CD-RW will disappear from sight.  It doesn't even show on the Device Manager.  I am at a loss as to what this might be.  The only thing common to these problems is that I am trying to rip with Media Center when they show up.  I have gone back to the Media Jukebox V9 a couple times but the problems seems to stay.  I haven't gone back to V7 yet to see if it has the same problem.  

I'm not sure if there is any connection, but I just installed a 120Gig HD.  My configuration now is C:- 120gig, Master on primary bus, D: -20gig, Slave on Secondary bus, E: -DVD slave on Primary Bus, and F:- CDRW, Master on Secondary Bus.   The Mother Board is a DFIWT70-EC rev A+,  OS is Win98SE.  I/O controller is Intel 850 with latest drivers and with performance boster.  I went back to the orginal drivers and uninstalled the performance boster but it didn't fix the problem.  

Any ideas???

Don

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: hangs and disable of CD-RW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 12:14:31 am »

Try disabling all other CD software you have installed.

JohnT

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 04:49:59 am »

Also try ripping to uncompressed wave format to rule out an encoder problem.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

campgems

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 07:22:10 am »

I did have Direct CD running but I disabled it a few days back.  That seemed to help, but not eliminate the problem.

I don't think that it is an encoder problem.  Sometimes  the hangs are prior to starting the encoding, at selectinng the CD to read from time.

Please keep the ideas coming though.  

Don

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 10:37:46 am »

Could you post your system info here (from MC's help menu)?

campgems

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 10:56:19 am »

Media Center Registered 9.0.180 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium 4 1499 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 49 MB
Resource Info: System - 32 %, GDI - 59 %, User - 32 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700 / wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: ATAPI    CD-RW 52X24        Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 12:12:24 pm »

Try turning off auto-insert...

1) Open the "Control Panel" folder and click on the "System" icon.

2) Select the "Device Manager" tab.

3) Click on the CDROM icon

4) For each CDROM device in the list, disable the "Auto Insert Notification" option.

Click on "OK"

Also, set encoding to uncompressed wave format.

campgems

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 12:56:43 pm »

Hi.  I did do that before with no effect

Since my last post, I had another failure while rippig.  It went blue screen and I had to do a reset to get it to respond to anything.  After I got it re-booted, I started Media center again and got an invalid instruction failure which I got a pritout for.  After this failure, the CD/RW was gone from the system which I also got a printout of from Media Center,  I also have a pdf print of the device manager settings if you would like it.  It is long, 18 pages.  Let me know what you would like for me to forward to you.

Don

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2003, 04:46:20 am »

A log file might help troubleshooting. Here's how:

Turn on MC's logging for CD ripping by changing the value of this registry key from zero (0) to one (1):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\CD Reader\Logger

Then just start up Media Center and try to rip a CD. Then exit MC and find a file in the MC program directory called "cdripper.log" and email that to me. Remember that the log file is overwritten each time you start up MC, so you must send the file before restarting MC.

johnt @ jriver.com  (remove spaces)

Pages: [1]   Go Up