INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: nativedsd requests SSN  (Read 3067 times)

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
nativedsd requests SSN
« on: May 27, 2017, 12:57:57 pm »

I have made purchases from nativedsd.com before, but this time, when checking out, a "verification service" requested the last 6 digits of my SSN. I have never before entered any SSN information online, and I never will. Subsequent research indicates that there are only certain circumstances when one can be legally requested for a SSN, and making an online purchase using existing credit (e.g. credit card) is not one of them. What is going on here? Would YOU make an online purchase from someone requesting such information?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: nativedsd requests SSN
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 01:11:29 pm »

Definitely not.

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:51:23 pm »

I am wondering whether nativedsd, or their credit verification service, has been hacked. The same panel that requested the last 6 digits of my SSN also requested my zip code. I did a little checking, and the first three digits of a SSN denote the geographical area where the holder lived in when the SSN was issued. With this information, it is possible in some cases, to easily reconstruct the entire SSN of the holder if the holder still lives in the area where the SSN was issued. If this is not the case, additional information on the holder's birthplace, etc., could be used to reconstruct the first three digits.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 02:02:54 pm »

It does seem possible.

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 10:44:29 pm »

FYI, I emailed nativedsd about this. I received a reply that they are going to investigate the issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up