INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver and Music on the road  (Read 2863 times)

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver and Music on the road
« on: May 27, 2017, 09:09:53 pm »

Is there a Wiki or a step by step on setting this up. I have searched the forum and have not found this info.

I have all of my Flac files on my home computer and I want to play the music on my laptop at work or on the road (or on my phone) over the net.

I know that I would have to leave my computer on at home, but other than that I don't know what the process is to set this up.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver and Music on the road
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 09:38:10 pm »

You could start with the Media Network topic on our wiki.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 10:43:28 pm »

The first thing to do is forward port 52199 on your router to your library server computer.

Then, if you're using the library server key, it should just work.

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 08:11:09 am »

You could start with the Media Network topic on our wiki.
Found nothing there that seemed relevant to the topic.

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:15:12 am »

The first thing to do is forward port 52199 on your router to your library server computer.

Then, if you're using the library server key, it should just work.
I will look into the port forwarding. I've never done this, so I am not sure how complicated it is.

"library server key"....is this the same "key" that I use for JRemote?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:41:09 am »

Two topics on the wiki will help.

Network Access
   Your router manufacturer's website should have instructions on port forwarding.

Media Network
   Look for Access Key

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 09:03:49 am »

Two topics on the wiki will help.

[url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access]Network Access[/url]
   Your router manufacturer's website should have instructions on port forwarding.

Media Network
   Look for Access Key

Thanks! Now that's some useful info :)

MusicHawk

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 08:43:26 pm »

I've used MC on the road for years, running on a small 12" laptop with sufficient hard drive space. This approach does not require an Internet connection, uses no data to run, lets me apply all of MC's playback behaviors (I love several), including those not available when using other playback apps to access MC. And I can easily take the laptop to a friend's, to a party, to my office, whatever.

Taking the simple route:
1. Install MC on laptop.
2. Set up MC with exactly the same folder structure (not absolutely necessary but keeps it clean). Key is to have the media files folder have exactly the same path. On my desktop I have a second drive M: (for Music) that has all my media files, so that's where MC library expects to find them. My laptop has only one drive, so i create a virtual drive (using an ancient DOS MAP command) so M: exists as a folder of C: and has the same folder structure as the original M: This is the only tricky part, but once set up it works perfectly.
3. Copy to the laptop all the media files. Copy to the laptop all the MC database files, OR create an MC library backup and restore it on the laptop. Put everything in same folder structure on both computers. I have a backup program set up that does this automatically and reliably. Being a backup app it is smart enough to only update laptop files that have changed on PC, which is my Master system for Music.
4. Done.

As needed, when the library changes, update the laptop (via the backup app or whatever) from the Master PC.

A couple more little things I do:

-- On laptop I set up custom visualization, a variation of Noire TrackInfo. I prefer track info optimized for glancing at in on the road.

-- On laptop I added free Pietro DSP RockSteady, a pretty good audio compressor plug-in that helps keep the music at a strong, consistent level above road noise. This plug-in was created years ago for Winamp, the developer seems to have wandered away, but it still works. The only shortcoming is the UI does not display in today's MC (it used to in earlier versions until something in MC was changed), so I can't get to the adjustments. But it works well as-is. It does essentially what radio stations do to the audio, for the same reason -- even out the sound. I like the result a lot. (I haven't found that MC's internal compressor does what I want.) Being free, there's no reason to not try RockSteady.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up