INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with using DLNA folders as source of music for library  (Read 3179 times)

erviv

• World Citizen

I have normally used files from my computer to be the source of music.  However I have branched off into using MC on rpi so wanted to be able to access my music files from multiple locations in my home.  I have copied all my music files to my Hdd attached to my router.  I have successfully imported the files to my libraries on both my MAc and rpi.  The tagging and core art etc is fine.  I have done this by essentially mounting the HDD to each device.  However when I create a library by imported files from my HDD to either of my Mac or rpi via the DLNA option my albums tagging is inconsistent.  Many albums come across with unknown in their titles, lose there cover art and in some instances show up as individual albums per track.
While I can always reconnect to the HDD and use the libraries in this fashion, I was hoping that going theDLNA route would be simpler.  Has anyone experienced this issue?  I suspect it has something to do with the fact that although the DLNA device appears in my list of libraries that it isn't acting like a regular library.  I think this as I tried to update some tags with the correct cover art, and a few seconds later the artwork reverted back to being empty.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Problem with using DLNA folders as source of music for library
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 07:11:03 pm »

Have you considered a server / client arrangement instead? Run mc on your pi permanently with the media server activated, and then run mc on your mac as a client using the library served up by mc on the pi. That way, your hard drive of music is just attached to one device. Activate dlna in mc on the pi, and any dlna compatible device can also use the library.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 09:52:48 am »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I take it in this way I can also continue to use the HDD as a network storage device, but connected to the Pi instead of the router, and since the Pi is connected via Ethernet to the router, I shouldn't experience any slowdowns.
I guess the other solution would be to auto mount the Hdd from the router to my Pi on start up, and not use DLNA. the challenge of course is that hasn't yet worked for me.  It is interesting that this works within libreelec on my Pi ( find and permanently map network drives) but not with JR on the same rpi (unless the file path is found and connected  via file manager within raspian, my JR does not see the network storage).

Still your solution seems like an effective choice as I like the interface better in JR, and JRemote. I will give this a try. Thanks again.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 10:32:29 am »

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 11:01:02 am »

Thanks for the suggestion Jim.  I am not ready to buy more software/hw at this time.  Although I did upgrade to the Master license for JR 23.
I tried the solution by AOQW76, but there seems a long delay, about 25 sec,in loading the first song and also between songs, about the same delay.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 11:03:08 am »

If you have a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, it's just the microSD version and it's $40.  It plugs in and runs.

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 08:39:24 am »

For anyone following this thread, I have found the solution to the delay in playing files from the server library (JR on my raspberry pi) to JRiver on my client (MacBook).  I had under Tools/Options/Audio Setting memory playback set to:load full file into memory.  I changed this to no memory playback and now there is no wait time. Based on what I read here on other threads I also went into Tools/Options/Media Network - client options-audio conversion and selected don't convert.
So again thanks aoqw76 for the suggested solution to my initial problem.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 06:18:45 pm »

Your solution makes a lot of sense given the hardware. Your raspberry pi doesn't have a lot of memory to load music file into, or a lot of processing power to convert formats.

I would note also that router attached HDDs are notoriously slow to respond. Very laggy. If the router includes a media server, as some do, and it is turned on, that can make things even worse. I suspect that contributed to the issues you saw.

Of course it depends on the actual router you have, but any time I have tried attaching a HDD to a router for network storage, performance has been unacceptable. For a time I used one as a backup location, but even that wasn't satisfactory, with corrupted backups on occasion.

Better to have the HDD directly connected to the raspberry pi.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up