INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Update For External Changes' Working?  (Read 3406 times)

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
'Update For External Changes' Working?
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:33:29 am »

Can someone else verify if 'Update For External Changes' under Auto Import is working? Using Mint 18.1, Cinnamon and XFCE, MC version 22.108.

Test conditions:
Network Sharing USB music drive using router's USB 3.0 port

Windows Machine and Linux Machine both on line and reading the same music files, delete an artist folder after both machines are settled in. The Win machine library updates and the artist disappears from library within 1-2 minutes. The linux machine does not auto update even after 1 hour, also occasionally tapping "refresh" button.

Updates artist deletion only after exit/restarting of MC, when MC gets a fresh read of files.

Both machines have the same auto import options set up.

Thanks.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Re: 'Update For External Changes' Working?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 05:28:20 pm »

After a little more experimentation, including reverting back to MC 22.0.93 and using files exclusively on the local linux machine for the music library, it appears that files ADDED to the library works dynamically as it should, but when music files are DELETED, the library doesn't update for changes unless Import is run again (with Fix Broken Links as Yes).

Is this a MC Linux, distro, platform, or other issue? I don't want to spin my wheels unless they are headed in the right direction, at least. I don't mind learning something new......

Thanks.

6/13: As an update, I installed Debian Jessie on another machine, same behavior.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 09:11:07 am »

The iNotify function in linux which we use for this doesn't work with SAMBA/CIFS shares, a shortcoming of that filesystem.
Regardless, if the directories are in the auto-import watch list they should fire on a 2 hour cycle.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:00:29 pm »

Thanks for the reply Bob...... great information to know.

If I understand this correctly, CIFS shares will update at 2 hour intervals?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 01:29:19 pm »

Thanks for the reply Bob...... great information to know.

If I understand this correctly, CIFS shares will update at 2 hour intervals?
Yes, it's supposed to look every 2 hours.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 12:03:33 am »

Confirmed working:

Older Dell Laptop/Debian Jessie
Newer Netbook/Mint 18.1
Raspberry Pi3 (first time set up with MC, initially impressed with little music server)

All running .108 and connected to the same usb drive CIFS share from router. Deleted artist files and the library updated in somewhere around 2 hours. Got a little over zealous and deleted about 6.3 gig and then added back after library auto-updated... the single USB drive is a serious bottleneck, but for one or two (probably more) clients it's fine, very convenient. Reappearance in the library took about 2 hours as well for 2 of the units within 5-10 minutes of each other. Debian machine hasn't updated yet, will check tomorrow morning.
EDIT: Debian machine updated, all is well.

Thanks for your role and help here Bob....and of course the walk-throughs by the respective authors which made it all possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up