INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server serves only the LIBRARY and not the media? [SOLVED]  (Read 6251 times)

pepar

• World Citizen

With an always on MC Library Server, do clients read the content from the NAS (unRAID in my case) and only get library details about the content from the Server?

Jeff
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Library Server serves only the LIBRARY and not the media?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 08:07:49 am »

It must come from the mc server, as it works without connection to the drive where the actual files reside.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:25:19 am »

If the client has access to the content at exactly the same path, it is possible to configure it to read the content directly from that location. Note this currently implies that client runs the same OS as the server (or at least the same family, windows vs nix).

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:50:36 pm »

Client could mount the Samba share (unRAID) but is currently only sharing the library via the Library Server.  If client isn't reading the file directly from the Samba with that scheme, I'd prefer to have it do that.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 06:12:59 pm »

Check media network / client options / play local file....
That should enable the option as described by Matt above.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 09:54:36 pm »

By "same path" I should mount the Samba share on thenclients as I have on the MC Media Server?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 05:11:33 am »

By "same path" I should mount the Samba share on thenclients as I have on the MC Media Server?
yes

i.e. if you take the path from the library and then do an ls on that path on the client, it must be able to read the file at that path

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 08:06:25 am »

Linux newb here - "do an ls" .... ?

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:21:39 am »

Is there any good reason to go through these procedures to make an MC client read directly from a NAS device, as opposed to reading from the MC server?  Is there any benefit to the end user?

Brian.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 08:44:17 am »

My media storage is separate from my MC server. I'd prefer clients reading directly from the file server and not via the Library Server device.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 08:48:58 am »

ls is a Linux command.  Use it at a Linux prompt.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 09:41:58 am »

I feel there is possibly a slight communication issue here, maybe I'm missing something.

If you want your Linux clients to access the network share at boot: for my Debian, Pi3, and Mint boxes I added a line similar to below to the /etc/fstab file in all 3 (identical line added to all 3):

//(server.ip.add or name)/sharename  /home/username/Music  cifs  auto,user,credentials=/home/username/netlogin  0  0

Netlogin is a text file with sharing credentials if needed. Get one machine working and go from there.

For the Debian machine I had to add the smb and cifs-util packages; for the Pi3, I had to go into pi settings from main screen and select "Wait For Network At Boot"(?), for Mint it worked out of the box with the added line.

Of course, these will not be MC "clients" now, and will need to do their respective importing, etc. like any other stand-alone pc, and suggest using one (win or Linux) machine as "master" for tagging, etc. All others access pre-tagged and processed files.

Hope this helps.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 10:08:23 am »

My media storage is separate from my MC server. I'd prefer clients reading directly from the file server and not via the Library Server device.

What benefit does that have?

Brian.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 11:18:47 am »

Personally, I have worked out the automounting of shares at login.  That how my DebianXFCE/i3 NUC MC Library Server is configured. (My media is stored on an unRAID server.) When I set up my first client, also Debian/XFCE/i3 NUC, I installed MC and poked around the settings and selected the Library served by the first box. It will play content.

My question was if the played content was being read directly from the unRAID or via the NUC running MC Library Server.  And that's where I am at this point.

Jeff

I feel there is possibly a slight communication issue here, maybe I'm missing something.

If you want your Linux clients to access the network share at boot: for my Debian, Pi3, and Mint boxes I added a line similar to below to the /etc/fstab file in all 3 (identical line added to all 3):

//(server.ip.add or name)/sharename  /home/username/Music  cifs  auto,user,credentials=/home/username/netlogin  0  0

Netlogin is a text file with sharing credentials if needed. Get one machine working and go from there.

For the Debian machine I had to add the smb and cifs-util packages; for the Pi3, I had to go into pi settings from main screen and select "Wait For Network At Boot"(?), for Mint it worked out of the box with the added line.

Of course, these will not be MC "clients" now, and will need to do their respective importing, etc. like any other stand-alone pc, and suggest using one (win or Linux) machine as "master" for tagging, etc. All others access pre-tagged and processed files.

Hope this helps.

pepar

• World Citizen
Re: Library Server serves only the LIBRARY and not the media?i
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 12:06:11 pm »

What benefit does that have?

Brian.

I try to outfit my "devices" CPU-wise based on the work that they are handling. There are many low power options, which is something I gravitate to. Some of my devices are fabless.  So, At least, I am curious as to what is happening on each device.

Jeff

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 04:58:02 pm »

<shrug> I have no idea what you mean.  But that's fine.  Good luck with your project.

Brian.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 03:17:56 pm »

One more try with this example ...  :)

For my gaming rig I use a 6-core i7 and a fancy Radeon video card.  For a file server I use a low power Pentium and onboard video.

Ahh, also, autocorrect turned "fanless" into fabless.

Jeff

BTW, I still have an open question as to how to have clients that are using the Library Server actually read the files from the file server ... ?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 03:59:05 pm »

Your open question has been answered so perhaps you can clarify what isn't clear to you then someone can explain

re the "read direct from the NAS", if no transcoding is involved then it's really a question of bandwidth IMV. If you push all content down the NAS - server - client path then NAS - server is a potential bottleneck (and could also theoretically have an impact on the server). I would have thought this isn't going to be an issue in any decent home network though, unless perhaps you have *alot* of clients and/or a really weak server. Personally I just go with a fat pipe between the NAS the server but then that's mostly because my secondary clients are predominantly linux so I have no choice in the matter.

pepar

• World Citizen
Re: Library Server serves only the LIBRARY and not the media? [SOLVED]
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 10:31:59 pm »

Thanks, all.  I got back from a trip, set up automount of the share identically on the client as it is on the Library Server and made the MC setting change recommended.  I have edited the thread subject and added [SOLVED].
Pages: [1]   Go Up