INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't delete nonexistent libraries after migrating to new Mac  (Read 4001 times)

dmitch77

• World Citizen

After migrating my MC library to a new Mac, I'm stuck with references to old libraries that lived on the old Mac, but which I did not copy to the new one. The references apparently got copied over when doing a "backup" and "restore from" the library I actually want to use. These old library references have paths that don't even exist on the new Mac. I can't find a way to get rid of the references to the old libraries in MC on the new Mac.

If I click on one of the old, nonexistent libraries (under "Playing from..."), I only get three options: Load, Rename, and Clone. No Delete button.

If I go to File > Library Manager, there is a "Delete Library..." button, which looks promising. However the list of libraries to delete shows the old/missing libraries greyed out; there is no way to click on one of them to delete it.

Does anyone know a way around this? MC 22.0.88 on MacOS 10.12.5. Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't delete nonexistent libraries after migrating to new Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 04:35:23 pm »

I had something similar happen a long time ago.  On MC20 or MC21; I can't remember.  I know I had to fight with it to remove these libraries.  I can't remember if restarting MC and/or rebooting the Mac helped.  You might try that.

I'm relatively certain that if you remove the User Settings.ini file, it will remove references to ALL libraries.  I might have edited that file manually actually.  I DO NOT RECOMMEND that you do that.

If I were you, I would probably do a backup of my library.  Then delete that file:  ~/Library/Application Support/JRiver/Media Center 22/Settings/User Settings.ini    .  Then fire MC22 back up again.  Then import my library with File > Library > Restore Library .

I'm not 100% sure of the sequence here as I haven't done it in a while.  But the backup of your library (File > Library > Backup Library) should be good insurance.

Maybe someone else has something more certain and/or more wise to say.

Brian.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:26:18 pm »

If I were you, I would probably do a backup of my library.  Then delete that file:  ~/Library/Application Support/JRiver/Media Center 22/Settings/User Settings.ini.  Then fire MC22 back up again.  Then import my library with File > Library > Restore Library .

Good idea. Alas, it had no effect. The phantom libraries re-appeared after restoring from the library backup.

I'm hoping for any other suggestions....?

Thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 01:23:20 pm »

I'm not sure.  Try closing and re-opening MC a few times and see if you can get delete to work on the phantom libraries.

I kinda sorta remember adding in a new empty library, and *then* being able to delete the other libraries that were greyed out before.  But, like I said, this was a really long time ago, so I'm not sure.

Good luck.

Brian.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 07:22:14 pm »

A year and a half later, up to MC 24.0.25, and the problem is still there. Never have found a way to get rid of the references to these old libraries. Anyone have any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 05:57:20 am »

File > Library Manager.

You can't delete the main (original) library.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 09:29:34 am »

File > Library Manager.

You can't delete the main (original) library.

If I click on one of the old, nonexistent libraries (under "Playing from..."), I only get three options: Load, Rename, and Clone. No Delete button.

I'm not trying to delete the main library. I'm trying to delete references to old libraries that don't exist.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 09:37:43 am »

I forgot to mention: under Library Manager, hitting the "Delete Library..." button brings up a list of libraries to delete, but the missing ones are disabled (greyed out) so I can't select them. See attached screen shot.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 10:32:58 am »

Go to Library Manager.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 10:43:54 am »

Go to Library Manager.

I did. Did you read my last post, and look at the screenshot of the Library Manager there?
Pages: [1]   Go Up