INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on signal path  (Read 2201 times)

wgapel

• Recent member
Question on signal path
« on: June 14, 2017, 07:39:01 pm »

If I run JRiver on my wireless laptop on my home network with all media on wired NAS and select my wired marantz pre/pro as player. Is the signal(media playing) going from NAS wired to Router then wireless to laptop then wireless to Router then wired to marantz or is it playing diectly wired from NAS to marantz?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Question on signal path
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 08:00:55 pm »

If you import the files from the NAS into MC on any computer, then you are playing from that computer to the device you're using.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:03:59 pm »

I'm not importing any files, all are on NAS.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:05:46 pm »

How are they played to the Marantz device?

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:06:57 pm »

That's my question.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 10:24:18 pm »

Is the signal(media playing) going from NAS wired to Router then wireless to laptop then wireless to Router then wired to marantz?

Yes.

But if your NAS was running a DLNA Server, and your Marantz was a DLNA Renderer, and MC was working as a DLNA Controller, I'm not so sure. In fact I'm not completely sure MC can be set up to work exactly that way, acting as a pure DLNA Controller, without talking to another MC instance. But I think that the signal in that case would be going directly from your NAS to the Marantz, via their wired connections. In that case MC would be acting just like a remote control, and nothing more. It would be the same as using whatever interface is on your Marantz to play audio from your NAS directly.

But if you did that, you would lose all the MC DSP processing, not sure about playlists, for example. You would just be streaming the raw file from the NAS to the Marantz.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 06:23:28 pm »

I lost you a little, but I set JRiver on my laptop to do DNLA and The Marantz shows up as a player. Until I changed the settings in JRiver I was streaming mp3 to Marantz. i changed the settings to Flac in JRiver and now Marantz shows Flac. I still think the path is Nas wired to router, router wireless to laptop, laptop wireless to router, router wired to marantz so files are played wireless from Nas to laptop to Marantz. I was just wondering if I would get better sound quality if I went from a wired desktop running JRiver output HDMI to marantz. Rather than the convenience of wireless laptop running JRiver.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 07:28:40 pm »

I lost you a little,

Yeah, sorry. I do that sometimes. Just thinking outside the box a little.

I still think the path is Nas wired to router, router wireless to laptop, laptop wireless to router, router wired to marantz so files are played wireless from Nas to laptop to Marantz.

I should have just left the answer to that question as: YES.

I was just wondering if I would get better sound quality if I went from a wired desktop running JRiver output HDMI to marantz. Rather than the convenience of wireless laptop running JRiver.

As long as your wireless network is fast enough to easily support the bandwidth required to play FLAC files, using your laptop the way you are should be fine. Have a look at the Bitrate of your FLAC files, and you should see it is much less than your wireless network can support. The sound quality should be identical using either method. If you hear stuttering, or delays in a track starting to play, your network may have some problems. Sometimes that happens in an environment where there are a lot of other wireless networks, such as in high rise buildings. But if you don't hear those anomalies, just keep doing what you are doing.

It would be a different story for high quality video, but for audio, what you are doing is fine.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up