INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD WASAPI playback problem  (Read 2166 times)

najarip

• Recent member
DVD WASAPI playback problem
« on: June 16, 2017, 05:05:02 am »

Hi,

I've been struggling with the sound quality lately. Especially when I compare a DVD (Dolby Digital) played with Media Center and with PowerDVD16. Both programs use Wasapi exclusive output, but somehow the PowerDVD audio sound much better and vibrant with more 'body'.

I have a MOTU soundcard (screengrabs are from my laptop, sorry), which is set to WASAPI in MC and exclusive access and max volume. The setting in PowerDVD seems to do the same, WASAPI exclusive access and max. volume.

Is there any setting I have missed or is PowerDVD just better for playing DVD?

Ronald

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DVD WASAPI playback problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 06:32:14 am »

If you have different sound from two programs, then the settings must be different.

When you watch the DVD, use the on screen display (arrow keys) to switch sound tracks.

najarip

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:28:44 am »

I get that the settings must be different, but which settings in MC can I try to get it better? The screenshots show the settings i've tried.
If I disable the WASAPI/Exclusive checkbox in PowerDVD, the audio sounds like the MC-sound. I would like to now if Media Center can battle the sound of PowerDVD in WASAPI/Exclusive mode.

Both programs were playing the same DVD audio track.

Ronald

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 07:36:04 am »

I believe that PowerDVD's default setting is to "boost" the sound. Kind of like pressing the Loudness button. If you like this you can achieve the same effect with Media Center's DSP Studio.

najarip

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 07:57:24 am »

Thank you, I will try to read into DSP Studio, haven't done anything with this yet.

Ronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up