INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Card  (Read 3351 times)

buckeyewalt

• World Citizen
Audio Card
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:18:03 am »

I am not the most knowledgeable audio guy on here so I need some help in deciding. I am getting a new computer however it only has the "Realtek" 7-1 audio set up on it. I currently have a Creative Titanium card in my computer now and it really has been a good card but I don't know if I should get a card for my new computer or go with the standard Realtek audio system on board or what. Hopefully someone who has knowledge in audio cards and whatever Realtek is can help this rookie out. My main reason for using MC is music listening and I finally got the sound that I really enjoy out of this system with my Creative card but then I don't know anything about Realtek either...
Thanks for any advice or help!

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Audio Card
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:10:19 pm »

more info needed: what are you playing the music to....standard stereo amp, 5.1 dac, 7.1 dac or right out of pc speakers....can you take your creative card and put it in your new pc?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

buckeyewalt

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:26:22 pm »

more info needed: what are you playing the music to....standard stereo amp, 5.1 dac, 7.1 dac or right out of pc speakers....can you take your creative card and put it in your new pc?

I have a THX speaker system set-up now out of my computer, so no stereo amp. Like I said, I'm a total idiot when it comes down to technical terms. I can take my creative card and probably put it in my new computer, but since this card is 7+ years old, I thought I would upgrade with a newer card. The new computer will have a Realtek audio set-up butI really don't know too much about it.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 11:56:11 pm »

I have a THX speaker system set-up now out of my computer, so no stereo amp. Like I said, I'm a total idiot when it comes down to technical terms. I can take my creative card and probably put it in my new computer, but since this card is 7+ years old, I thought I would upgrade with a newer card. The new computer will have a Realtek audio set-up butI really don't know too much about it.

What kind of new computer? (make and model) (desktop or laptop)

What model Creative sound card do you have now?

Your old soundcard may not work in your new computer.   The new computer may not have the same interface as the old computer.  The soundcard may not have drivers that work in the new computer's operating system.

Many computers don't have slots for a Pci or Pcie soundcard.  USB Dacs are far more common now.  (Mostly 2 channel.)

If you want to have a multi-channel setup that greatly affects your choices for a soundcard.

Details matter and you need to supply more details about what you have and what you want.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 01:20:35 pm »

Some random thoughts:

Realtek isn't known for making high quality cards.  I'd use something else.

You have a "THX system", but you mainly listen to music.  THX is for home theater.  If you only need stereo, there are Tons and tons of good USB DACs around that are stereo.  There are also quite a few choices for 5.1 or 7.1 channel USB DACs if you want/need multi-channel.

Brian.

buckeyewalt

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 07:23:57 pm »

Like I mentioned, I am a complete idiot about cards.
My computer will be an Alienware with a intenl I7700K processor and will have a Nvidia Geforce 1080Ti video card
2TB hard drive plus 256 ssd boot.
It kind of loaded but I wanted something that would still be going strong in 5+ years. It has slots for some cards so that's not the problem, I just didn't know anything about the Realtek audio that's in there as a standard audio system. Looking at the Creative Sound Blaster Zx as an audio card. Not too familiar with anything else so all help is appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 07:50:26 pm »

You could use any USB DAC.  Wooaudio, BelCanto, Audioquest, Schiit, etc.

buckeyewalt

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 09:15:30 am »

You could use any USB DAC.  Wooaudio, BelCanto, Audioquest, Schiit, etc.

Thank You!
Pages: [1]   Go Up