INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Constant / Random Crashes (Segmentation Fault) on RPI3  (Read 3580 times)

4n0n

• Recent member
Constant / Random Crashes (Segmentation Fault) on RPI3
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:01:54 am »

Hello,
After updating to the latest version (22.0.111) on my homebrew raspberry pi server MediaCenter keeps crashing with a segmentation fault. I have enabled logging and tried to check what is happening. However the crashes are at random. I disabled automatic background import and the crashes still happen when I start it from the import dialogue.
I wiped my library and tried re-importing the music slowly letter by letter (A*, B*, ...). Every time after about 3500 files, either during importing in one go or doing it step by step, MediaCenter crashes. This has not been happening at all with the previous version and it is quite annoying. I checked CPU and RAM usage and neither are at 100% when MC crashes.
If needed I can add the Logfile but as I said I could not find anything useful in there.

Thanks for your help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Constant / Random Crashes (Segmentation Fault) on RPI3
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:28:14 am »

Debian?

4n0n

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:36:50 am »

Most recent Raspbian which i suppose is Debian. It seems that it is due to some broken files because now after splitting everything up and importing them it seems that some files (quite a lot) seem to trigger the crash. Once I can narrow it down some more I will post the file here. However it is interesting that everything was fine before the update. Oo

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 03:20:27 pm »

Bad files are a common cause of MC crashes.  Your logs will tell you which files MC was working on right before the crash.  That normally will lead you to one or more bad files.  Just look at the end of the Previous Log.txt file and you should see it.

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:28:14 pm »

It's also possible the build is not working properly. We've had some trouble with the AMD64 version.
You can go back using this link:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v22/latest/MediaCenter-22.0.108-armhf.deb

4n0n

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 03:31:58 am »

Thank you bob!
This helped me a lot. It turns out it was a combination of problems. Some files seem to have been corrupted and the newer version seems to be a little more sensitive to that. The previous does not crash as bad and sometimes not at all. I did some housekeeping and downgraded to the previous package and everything is working perfectly again. Thank you very much.
I still have some of the corrupted files i guess. If it helps you out I could try crashing MC on another machine and then send the files including logs to you. Let me know if you have any demand for that.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 08:54:43 am »

Thank you bob!
This helped me a lot. It turns out it was a combination of problems. Some files seem to have been corrupted and the newer version seems to be a little more sensitive to that. The previous does not crash as bad and sometimes not at all. I did some housekeeping and downgraded to the previous package and everything is working perfectly again. Thank you very much.
I still have some of the corrupted files i guess. If it helps you out I could try crashing MC on another machine and then send the files including logs to you. Let me know if you have any demand for that.
Yes it would be useful to have a corrupted file that crashes MC. Can you email me one. bob (at) jriver (dot) com? If I can reproduce the issue the log file won't be necessary.
Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up