INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed for correct parameters for Wavpack DSD encoding in Media Center  (Read 5789 times)

lobo85

• World Citizen

Hi I was wondering how to properly set up an external wavpack encoder for DSD compression while preserving metadata in Media Center as there is currently no native encoder included in the Mac version. Anyone know how?

bryant

• Recent member

I'm not sure of the best way to do this encoding on a Mac. On the WavPack website you can download the command-line encoder for Mac (here) and use that to encode DFF and DSF files to WavPack-DSD, and you can use the --import-id3 option to bring in the tags on DSF files (although the number of fields is somewhat limited).

You should also be able to use MC to transfer the metadata over if it's missing. But I have not experimented with that.

Hope this helps!

lobo85

• World Citizen

I tried this on the Mac with command line and the resulting files are not imported or seen as audio by MC same with the ones I made on a PC using Batch Encoder

bryant

• Recent member

I just tried 23.0.13 for Mac and can verify that WavPack DSD files are not recognized. I tried the DSD file in the latest WavPack test suite.

This works fine on the latest Windows version, so it should be pretty easy to fix. Perhaps libwavpack was not built with ENABLE_DSD defined?

bryant

• Recent member

I just verified that 23.0.20 fixes this issue on Macs. WavPack DSD files are fully playable.

Thanks guys!

lobo85

• World Citizen

They import Fine but they do not playback as DOP on my DSD DAC instead it tries to output as pure DSD.

bryant

• Recent member

Well, with the latest changes the WavPack DSD files should play back exactly like the DFF or DSF files you started with. This will not allow anything new that did not work with the native files, but should do everything they can do.

I'll try this myself when I get a chance (unfortunately my Mac and my Teac DAC are not in the same place).

bryant

• Recent member

I tried this this evening and verified that there is an issue playing WavPack DSD files using bitstreaming on Mac. I followed the instructions online to set PCM to 176 kHz, 24-bit and then DSF and DFF files would bitstream fine to my Teac UD-301, but when I tried to play a WavPack DSD file it would seem to work but the DAC would not not lock. The WavPack DSD file was only playable in PCM mode.

I am a little surprised by this because it works on Windows and libwavpack is obviously being built with the correct options now, but apparently there is some difference in the interface code.

lobo85

• World Citizen

This also happens on Windows if the device is DOP only for DSD such as a Schiit Loki.

lobo85

• World Citizen

I also noticed that Media Center reports that the sample rate for the Wavpack DSD files is 24/352.8. Would this effect anything?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

If you're having a problem playing WavPack DSD files on a DSD capable DAC, please ensure you have build 23.0.20 (or newer) installed.  We just tested here and it seemed to work well.

Just let us know if your experience varies.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lobo85

• World Citizen

I have 23.0.22 on Windows and 23.0.20 on Mac and I have the same results on each. My DSD DAC is a Schiit Loki and it only does DSD decoding DSD64 to be specific and in DOP format only if the device your using uses DOP for DSD then I don't know why mine wouldn't work. Here is a log if it helps.

bryant

• Recent member

Hi Matt. I just tried both the Windows version 23.0.22 and Mac 23.0.20 using identical files (audio-wise) in WavPack, DFF, and DSF formats. This was done in both PCM and bitstreaming modes using my Teac UD-301 connected USB. On Windows I use the Teac ASIO USB driver and on Mac there's no special driver and I select it as TEAC USB AUDIO DEVICE and I select the Mac specific things required to get bitstreaming to work (integer, 176 kHz, etc.)

On Windows everything works in both PCM and bitstreaming mode. The only difference I noticed was that in PCM mode the WavPack files are shown as 352.8 kHz 24bit files while the DFF and DSF files are shown as 64bit files (which I imagine is just what the plugin is providing for PCM playback).

On Mac, PCM mode works fine for all 3 files, and I get the same 24bit / 64bit discrepancy (and it still doesn't make any difference) but everything else is the same

However, trying bitstreaming on Mac I get different results for the WavPack files only. The DFF and DSF files work fine whereas the WavPack file seems to play (it progresses at the right rate) but the DAC does not lock and there is no sound. Further, when I look at the audio format I get completely different stuff shown for both input and output (compared to the formats that work):

DFF, DSF:
input: DoP 2.8 MHz 1bit 2ch from source format DFF (or DSF)
output: DoP 2.8 MHz 1bit (padded) 2ch using Core Audio (bitstreaming)

WavPack:
input: DSD 2.8 MHz 1bit 2ch from source format WV
output: 352.8 kHz 24-bit (padded) 2ch using Core Audio (bitstreaming)

Please let me know if I can provide any other information or help in any other way.

Thanks!

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi, I have the same problem, in my case with mac version 23.0.20 when playing via DNLA (using DSD bitstreaming) to a renderer on another computer: DSF files play OK as DSD; however the 24/352 WavPack files containing the same DSD play as PCM.

Only difference with what bryant reported is that I am able to listen to the WavPack files if I switch my Lampizator DAC to PCM. However, I would like it to play them as DSD.

Any advise will be very welcome!

bob

• Administrator

The wavpack input plugin doesn't currently do DoP encapsulation.
Since the Mac can't play native DSD we are left with a catch-22.
We are looking into making the wavepack plugin do DoP encapsulation.

lobo85

• World Citizen

How is the progress with creating that plugin? Do you need someone to test early versions? As I opened this can of worms I'd be more than happy to ;D. I'm pretty much free all week to test things as I am mostly unemployed due to a degenerative back condition, that of course due to my youngish age nobody has wanted to operate on it to fix it for ten years. :'((Sorry for the mini rant!) :P

bob

• Administrator

How is the progress with creating that plugin? Do you need someone to test early versions? As I opened this can of worms I'd be more than happy to ;D. I'm pretty much free all week to test things as I am mostly unemployed due to a degenerative back condition, that of course due to my youngish age nobody has wanted to operate on it to fix it for ten years. :'((Sorry for the mini rant!) :P
It's close, it plays but there is an issue with the setup of the bitrate (dd1 vs dd2, etc).

lobo85

• World Citizen
Re: Advice needed for correct parameters for Wavpack DSD encoding in Media Center
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 06:19:37 am »

It's close, it plays but there is an issue with the setup of the bitrate (dd1 vs dd2, etc).

Hows the bitrate setup battle going? Just checking in on the progress.

bob

• Administrator
Re: Advice needed for correct parameters for Wavpack DSD encoding in Media Center
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 02:31:30 pm »

Hows the bitrate setup battle going? Just checking in on the progress.
Had to back burner it for a bit.

lobo85

• World Citizen

I notice that the right bitrate is reported correctly now as of 23.0.83 as well as my Loki DAC lighting up showing there is a signal. Sound even plays for a short burst but then fizzles out. So I think you guys are almost there for WavPack DSD DoP output. Keep up the good work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up