INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD playback Audio Works but No Video  (Read 4481 times)

Blu99Zoomer

• Recent member
DVD playback Audio Works but No Video
« on: July 13, 2017, 03:28:46 pm »

Hi All,

I have tried searching through the Forum a few times.  I have toggled on and off Hardware Acceleration, and what seems every other noted possible change without success.  I am trying to play the DVD's on a Window 10 computer.  I was able to play DVD's without issues until I upgraded to MC23.  I have now uninstalled that and will try reinstalling.   But not too hopeful after all I have tried.  Am unable to play them using MC22 either.  Suggestions appreciated.

Best Regards,

Gregg

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DVD playback Audio Works but No Video
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 04:49:12 pm »

Try hitting F11 a time or two.

What is the full version number that you're using?

Blu99Zoomer

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:06:24 am »

Hi Jim,

I just downloaded, after uninstalling the same version, 23.0.19.  Thanks for the F11 suggestion.  I tried that but only got an intermittant still image and a black rectangle in the middle of the screen whenever I pressed play.  Sound but no picture.  I just checked to make sure my drivers were up to date.  It appears that they are.  Further thoughts?

Best Regards,

Gregg

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 11:12:49 am »

Seems like I have the same problem with DVD videos. It was working fine for months and then recently decided to watch a DVD video and the audio comes through, but the screen has no picture - just blacked out. This is on Windows 10 Pro version 1703 and MC 23.0.36. Tried F11 back and forth in theatre view and still the same issue. I have a really old version of PowerDVD and the DVD plays normally there... Any ideas?

Kind regards, Mitch

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 02:16:44 pm »

More info - it seems that some DVD's play - i.e. have picture and some don't, but all have audio.
It seems to be related to whether the video is fit for TV screen - will play the video portion, whereas any of the 16:9 won't show the video portion, but 1:85:1 format will show...

Is it possible that it is some setting I have accidently hit? I also use a TV screen for a computer monitor and while it is set for 1920 x 1080 resolution, I do have it scaled... Any chance MC can't figure it out? Also, I realize now that this started issue after I had update my computer to the Windows 10 Creators Update... But I have no issues with any other videos except DVD's...

Any assistance appreciated.

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 03:04:38 pm »

Still can't get DVD video to work. Removed and reinstalled MC 23.0.36. Audio comes through, but no video, just a black screen. I can play the video on the same computer using an old version of PoweDVD, so it seems to be something MC specific... Am I missing a key or some add on software? Any help appreciated.

RD James

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 03:31:10 pm »

I think Media Center uses the Microsoft DVD Decoder while PowerDVD use their own, so the change in Windows version seems a likely culprit.
Aspect ratio affecting this could mean something too.

Have you tried switching video playback between Red October HQ and Standard?
Hardware acceleration on/off?

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 04:53:22 pm »

Thank you!

I tried Red October HQ and it works! It is not a super smooth playback, but it does work. If I go back to Standard it does not work... Hardware acc seems to help smooth the playback on HQ, but still seems to freeze a frame every so often.

Any other settings to try and optimize the video playback smoothness?

Again, thank you!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 05:48:53 pm »

That's odd.  It's usually the other way around.  RO Std always works.

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 06:23:33 pm »

I know, right?!? What's weirder is that Standard will play some DVD's, but only certain aspect ratios, not 16:9.
Only HQ will play 16:9...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 06:25:34 pm »

I'm always suspicious of video drivers in such cases.

RD James

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 06:38:54 pm »

Thank you!
I tried Red October HQ and it works! It is not a super smooth playback, but it does work. If I go back to Standard it does not work... Hardware acc seems to help smooth the playback on HQ, but still seems to freeze a frame every so often.
Any other settings to try and optimize the video playback smoothness?
Again, thank you!
I'm glad that helped.
There's a guide on the wiki but I think it's pretty old now https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MadVR_Expert_Guide

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 10:56:07 am »

Thanks again. When I first ran into the problem, after the Win10 creators update, I updated my video driver and that did not fix it.

With just MC running and using convolution on the audio, I watched a movie last night with Red October HQ and it ran perfectly smooth, no frame freezes, audio in sync with no stutters or drop outs. I am good. Still no idea why Red October Standard shows a black screen with 16:9 movies... But I am happy that Red October HQ works.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up