INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with basic audio settings  (Read 2235 times)

Razeber

Problems with basic audio settings
« on: July 14, 2017, 07:58:05 am »

I’d like to know the best settings for playing FLAC files from a notebook to a PEACHTREE iNOVA amplifier (I’m using a standard USB connection).
I’ve tried some options, but I can’t decide which one is the best or whether I can improve the results.
Both WASAPI and DIRECT SOUND seem to work the same way (through USB connection the maximum resolution I can use is 24bits/96kHz).
All files I've bought from HDTracks are 96/24. When I check the “audio path” (Player/Audio path), sometimes it shows that the input is 44.1/16 “converted” to 48/24. What really is going on here? Certainly I'm telling you nonsense, but I'd expect an input of 96kHz/24bits which is the resolution I bought. Could you explain it to a layman?
Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems with basic audio settings
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:25:10 pm »

All files I've bought from HDTracks are 96/24. When I check the “audio path” (Player/Audio path), sometimes it shows that the input is 44.1/16 “converted” to 48/24.
When that happens check the file.   It's not 96/24.  MC is converting it to something the DAC supports.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 04:40:34 pm »

WASAPI and ASIO are prefered over DirectSound.

You should configure the DSP so that it passes through each of the sample rates that your DAC supports, and only converts sample rates that your DAC does NOT support.  For example, if your DAC supports 96kHz audio, but not 192kHz, you would configure MC to convert 192kHz to something else that your DAC can process.  Like 96, or 88, or even 48.

Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > (checked)
Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > Sample Rate > (Set each format here)

Good luck.

Brian.

Razeber

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 05:40:36 pm »

WASAPI and ASIO are prefered over DirectSound.

You should configure the DSP so that it passes through each of the sample rates that your DAC supports, and only converts sample rates that your DAC does NOT support.  For example, if your DAC supports 96kHz audio, but not 192kHz, you would configure MC to convert 192kHz to something else that your DAC can process.  Like 96, or 88, or even 48.

Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > (checked)
Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > Sample Rate > (Set each format here)

Good luck.

Brian.

Hi Brian. That's the real problem. I hadn't checked the DSP configuration - it was a complete mess, with higher supported frequencies being converted to lower ones (I don't no why my MC version came with such crazy default settings!).

Do you suggest any reading about the difference between WASAPI and "DirectSound"?

Thanks a lot!

Razeber

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 05:50:08 pm »

When that happens check the file.   It's not 96/24.  MC is converting it to something the DAC supports.

Hi Jim. You were right about the original file - it was 44.1/16 (although I've bought it as a 96/24 file - I'll send an email to "eclassical.com" about that). The other part of the problem was that I hadn't configured the DSP, as I told Brian.

Thanks a lot!

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:38:22 am »

Here's the wiki entry on the different types of output modes.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

I don't use MC on Windows, so I don't know a whole lot about this topic.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up