INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging in folders and sub-folders  (Read 2211 times)

samaritan

• Recent member
Tagging in folders and sub-folders
« on: July 15, 2017, 01:42:20 pm »

Hello - I'm new to MC and apologize if this has been addressed. I cannot find any topics, but please point me in the right direction if it's out there. What I want to know if it's possible to "sub tag" albums within a tagged folder. For example, I have The Cars Studio Album Collection from HDtracks. What I want to do is tag each individual album (ie. Candy-O, Heartbeat City, etc) but have it remain within the Cars Studio Album Collection directory if you will. My attempts to tag the individual albums just pulls them out as individual albums.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tagging in folders and sub-folders
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 02:01:51 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  You can add a custom tag.  The wiki has a topic on tags.

samaritan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 02:15:50 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  You can add a custom tag.  The wiki has a topic on tags.

Great thank you, if anyone has done something like this already - please post. I'm not really sure where to begin in custom tags to accomplish my goal.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 03:12:16 pm »

I have a few album collections; very few.  For my use, I've mostly retagged all of the songs as the original albums.  Only the songs that are unique to the collection get left inside the "collection album".

But that's not what you are asking.  You are asking about having these songs be categorized in some way that allows you to see that they are part of the Cars Collection *and* their original album names.  MC is very flexible in the way that it shows song metadata.  You can really customize it in many ways.

However, my guess is that you want some sort of multi-level organization that shows album collections with albums and then when you click on the collection, it shows the individual albums within the collection.  This can be done, but it's weird and doesn't work well because 99% of your albums will *not* be in collections and MC mostly doesn't know how to say "oh this album isn't part of a collection, I'll just group it with the collections.

Figuring out how you want to see this information is the key to this task.  Would it be good enough to see the collection name either above or below the album name, along with it's thumbnail in album display?  Or do you have something else in mind?

Once you figure out how you want to see this information, then you can structure your tags and views to show it.  Within the limitations of the MC views system of course.

Brian.

samaritan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 07:48:20 pm »

I have a few album collections; very few.  For my use, I've mostly retagged all of the songs as the original albums.  Only the songs that are unique to the collection get left inside the "collection album".

But that's not what you are asking.  You are asking about having these songs be categorized in some way that allows you to see that they are part of the Cars Collection *and* their original album names.  MC is very flexible in the way that it shows song metadata.  You can really customize it in many ways.

However, my guess is that you want some sort of multi-level organization that shows album collections with albums and then when you click on the collection, it shows the individual albums within the collection.  This can be done, but it's weird and doesn't work well because 99% of your albums will *not* be in collections and MC mostly doesn't know how to say "oh this album isn't part of a collection, I'll just group it with the collections.

Figuring out how you want to see this information is the key to this task.  Would it be good enough to see the collection name either above or below the album name, along with it's thumbnail in album display?  Or do you have something else in mind?

Once you figure out how you want to see this information, then you can structure your tags and views to show it.  Within the limitations of the MC views system of course.

Brian.

Thanks for the response Brian. You are spot on with understanding what I want to do, even with my not so great explanation. Yes, it would it be good enough to see the collection name either above or below the album name, along with it's thumbnail in album display. Any help with that would be appreciated.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 07:44:50 am »

One way of doing this is:

1.  Make a new field in MC's database and call it something like "Collection".  You can make up your own field name, as long as it's not already taken.
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > manage library fields > Add new field
I would take most of the defaults and just make it a string type field.

2.  Tag this album collection with the name of the collection.  (Select all files in the collection) > Edit > Tag
In the tagging window you might need to "show all tags" in order to see your new field called "Collection".  Type a value in the Collection field and press enter.

3. Customize your view to show the new field:  Go to your Albums view or which ever view you want to use.  Find the title of the view at the top and you'll see a small down arrow.  Click it to get a menu.  Thumbnails > Thumbnail Text
Edit this expression to include the information you want to see.  One simple one would be something like:

Code: [Select]
[Album Artist (auto)]
[Album]
[Collection]

Play with the thumbnail text until you get what you want.  Feel free to ask questions and we will try to help.

Good luck.

Brian.

samaritan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:35:02 pm »

One way of doing this is:

1.  Make a new field in MC's database and call it something like "Collection".  You can make up your own field name, as long as it's not already taken.
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > manage library fields > Add new field
I would take most of the defaults and just make it a string type field.

2.  Tag this album collection with the name of the collection.  (Select all files in the collection) > Edit > Tag
In the tagging window you might need to "show all tags" in order to see your new field called "Collection".  Type a value in the Collection field and press enter.

3. Customize your view to show the new field:  Go to your Albums view or which ever view you want to use.  Find the title of the view at the top and you'll see a small down arrow.  Click it to get a menu.  Thumbnails > Thumbnail Text
Edit this expression to include the information you want to see.  One simple one would be something like:

Code: [Select]
[Album Artist (auto)]
[Album]
[Collection]

Play with the thumbnail text until you get what you want.  Feel free to ask questions and we will try to help.

Good luck.

Brian.

Thanks Brian - I just tried this and I think it's going to work. I appreciate the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up