INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming lossless music from iMac to iPhone using JRMC23/JRemote  (Read 2486 times)

skipper

I operate test version of MC 23 for Mac (28 days to go) and just purchased JRemote for iPhone. I managed to start streaming music from my iMac to iPhone on my LAN. It works smoothly. The issue I have is about the possibility to stream lossless music to my iPhone. When I try to listen to lossless files (located on my mac and visible in MC library) without transcode mode switched on (JRemote) there is an issue of long pauses and then only short fragments like bits and snippets of the music being audible. When I turn transcoding back on which I believe means switching to mp3 the music comes back to normal. It sounds good but this is mp3 level not lossless. This is important to me to be able listen to my hires files so I wonder if I am doing something wrong here or these are limitations of my device used (iPhone SE 2017) or my LAN settings (16Mbps). If possible please tell me how to change settings to be able to listen flawlessly to lossless music on my iPhone without such issues. Or this would not be possible without further investments in DAC and other stuff.

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Streaming lossless music from iMac to iPhone using JRMC23/JRemote
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 01:38:28 pm »

Maybe your wifi is too weak for lossless streaming. then jremote needs to wait for data and these hickups occur.

skipper

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 01:55:57 pm »

As I wrote earlier the speed of my internet connection is about 16Mbps. Would this be too slow for JRemote to read fully lossless data with no delays? 

tyler69

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:51:46 pm »

your internet connection speed is probably something different than your lan / wlan speed.

skipper

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:37:14 pm »

I measured it with Speedtest app on my iPhone so it theoretically should be this. But this is download speed. Upload speed is strangely low - around 1Mbps. So this can be the bottleneck as I imagine at first the signal is coming out of iMac which in practice means it is uploading the network with music content. I wonder why I’m having such a upload/download speed differences.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 06:26:24 pm »

That's not uncommon.  Upload and download speeds are usually different from an ISP.

tyler69

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 12:48:50 am »

16mbit download / 1mbit upload is preety common at least in germany. what i do not seem to understand: you are talking about streaming in your lan/wlan, don't you? in that case those numbers do not account for the speed you get.

skipper

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 02:52:00 pm »

OK. In that case please let me know numbers count when it comes to streaming to iPhone from iMac in LAN and how I can check them to see if ot is OK or something is wrong?

tyler69

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 04:09:12 pm »

since as far as i understand your wifi is to weak, i'd check what speeds your wifi router supports.

skipper

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 04:16:07 pm »

From what I've read on the net 16 Mbps is more than enough to have flawless playback when streaming. I wrote earlier that I checked my internet speed on my iPhone with Speedtest app and it shows that my iPhone is having this 16 Mbps download and 1Mbps upload values. But as you pointed out these numbers may not be necessarily the ones I am getting when streaming so the question is how to check the actual numbers and how to improve the actual speed so that I can listen to lossless on my device.     
Pages: [1]   Go Up