INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is there a "search for missing files" option?  (Read 3499 times)

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
is there a "search for missing files" option?
« on: August 16, 2017, 01:38:17 pm »

I'm moving my library over to a new computer and I accidentally moved some files into one massive singular folder, instead of re-moving hundreds of files out of a singular folder back into dozens of individual folders, is there a "search for missing files" option that will simply re-link the songs already in JRiver to their new location on the hard drive? (then I could use Rename Move & Copy to get them all back into individual folders)

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: is there a "search for missing files" option?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 02:33:51 pm »

how were you moving the files...with windows or MC? is it to late to use undo?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:42:45 pm »

how were you moving the files...with windows or MC? is it to late to use undo?
Unfortunately, with Windows. No undo.

3,000 songs ended up in one folder with no structure, they should be in 300 folders (individual albums). I can manually fix it, but that'd take an entire day or two.

JRiver still shows all of the albums, but when I click play, it can't find the file. And there doesn't seem to be any option to "search for the missing file" which seems like Version 1.0 stuff? So I thought maybe it was buried somewhere I didn't know about.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 03:42:00 pm »

I don't really like this option, but in your case, I think what you want is the Fix Broken Links feature:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > fix broken links > (set option here)

That should remove entires for your missing files and import the ones that are now in different places.  I don't think that it figures out that file X that used to be in folder A is now in folder B.  I think it just deletes the old entries and imports the new ones.  That will probably work for you, but I don't know all of your requirements and how you use MC.

Good luck.

Brian.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 03:48:47 pm »

Posting from memory here as I don't have an MC in front of me...

you need something like this in the search bar, from a view that lists all of your audio...

[=ismissing([filename])]=1

I can never remember if it's [File Name] or [Filename]

The resulting list should be all files MC cannot find.

Pick one.
Right click > Library Tools > Rename files from properties

When the tool opens, the first field in the top left is a drop menu. Use that to select "Update library to point to a new location"
figure out the directory rule you need to show MC where the file is now. The "Before/After" info on the right will help.

Press OK.
Refresh you list and that file should drop off. Now you should be OK to go wholesale...
Select the entire list and repeat.

Now, having repaired the links, you can use the same tool again, only this time, the top left menu item to "move file if filename changes" or whatever it is exactly, to have MC move the files into ordered folders of your choosing.

-marko

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 04:13:02 pm »

Marko, that worked perfectly, thank you! Saved me so so so many hours.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 04:48:08 pm »

You're welcome. Glad you were able to figure it out from my memorized steps.

I don't really like this option, but in your case, I think what you want is the Fix Broken Links feature:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > fix broken links > (set option here)

That should remove entires for your missing files and import the ones that are now in different places.  I don't think that it figures out that file X that used to be in folder A is now in folder B.  I think it just deletes the old entries and imports the new ones.  That will probably work for you, but I don't know all of your requirements and how you use MC.

Good luck.

Brian.
I've never needed to fall back on this tool, but, my understanding is that it will spot the move if the two directories are being 'watched' by MC, and will update the database accordingly, automatically, if that 'fix broken links' option is set in auto import. Otherwise, I think it does just that, wipes the old, imports the new... which is most often, the last thing we want it to do.

-marko

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 05:16:36 pm »

Way back when I started with MC, I had this option enabled.  ...and I was a bad boy and moved files around outside of MC and was amazed as it found my moved files within moments of them being moved!

This all worked fine, except that it changed the import date to the new they were moved.  Because of this, I think that it doesn't actually use the same database record.  It's possible that it *does* use the same record with all information intact, but the fact that it updates the Date Imported field makes me think that it's just importing new stuff as "fresh" and deleting the old records.  I could easily be wrong.

Either way, Marko your solution is vastly superior to mine for the job the OP wanted done.  Nice work.  :)

Brian.

Graham Hitchcox

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 09:10:24 pm »

Just Using backups shows all my old Files. Unfortunately since MC has taken control of all these files.
Even if you are the authentic owner, it looks like MC will request for an upgrade - as always to enable the function.

My MC18 Version can still fade in out ect. This is sadly missing  on all versions past 18 for me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 12:50:53 am »

You're posting in a very old thread that is unrelated to your problem.

File Associations can be turned off in options.

Read about track transitions here:  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Playback_Options
Pages: [1]   Go Up