INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC23 Debian Stretch One small problem so far  (Read 1826 times)

ribroast

• Recent member
MC23 Debian Stretch One small problem so far
« on: August 27, 2017, 09:28:51 am »

Hey folks, another new Linux install, and a upgrade from MC21 to MC23 master license. Everything went very smooth, thanks to Awesome Donkey's install guide (once again!). It took me most of a day to install "Stretch" and get connected to my server through cifs/fstab, seems they changed some stuff again. That done, it took me all of about 5 minutes to get MC23 installed and another 40 minutes or so to import 35k songs into the library. The one small problem was when I noticed a couple of songs missing cover art. Right clicked a song and chose import from file, the MC23 window went pure white, but continued to play. I was not able to bring the window back and I have not yet figured out how to kill a running program on this distro yet, so I rebooted. When I rebooted I could see the file dialog briefly, just before the reboot took place. A bit more about my setup - I keep my cover art in the folder with the songs since I have minidlna running on my server. I try not to embed cover art since I have a car stereo  that won't play songs with embedded cover art. My new as of yesterday Linux distro is Debian 9 "Stretch" with the Mate desktop (Gnome). MC23 runs great and sounds great, I am using the stable release. The only other thing was I changed the font from sans releif to BOLD sans relief. Text was quite hard to read before the change. That's about it, great job JRiver! Been with you since Media Jukebox days!

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC23 Debian Stretch One small problem so far
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:09:10 pm »

Hey folks, another new Linux install, and a upgrade from MC21 to MC23 master license. Everything went very smooth, thanks to Awesome Donkey's install guide (once again!). It took me most of a day to install "Stretch" and get connected to my server through cifs/fstab, seems they changed some stuff again. That done, it took me all of about 5 minutes to get MC23 installed and another 40 minutes or so to import 35k songs into the library. The one small problem was when I noticed a couple of songs missing cover art. Right clicked a song and chose import from file, the MC23 window went pure white, but continued to play. I was not able to bring the window back and I have not yet figured out how to kill a running program on this distro yet, so I rebooted. When I rebooted I could see the file dialog briefly, just before the reboot took place. A bit more about my setup - I keep my cover art in the folder with the songs since I have minidlna running on my server. I try not to embed cover art since I have a car stereo  that won't play songs with embedded cover art. My new as of yesterday Linux distro is Debian 9 "Stretch" with the Mate desktop (Gnome). MC23 runs great and sounds great, I am using the stable release. The only other thing was I changed the font from sans releif to BOLD sans relief. Text was quite hard to read before the change. That's about it, great job JRiver! Been with you since Media Jukebox days!
I'm going to post a new build in Beta in a few minutes, would you give that a try and see if it fixes the issue?

ribroast

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 12:39:09 pm »

Thanks! I actually managed to install non-free drivers for my video card (ati HD6400) and everything is working perfectly now. I was looking for the non-free version of Debian to install in the first place, but I did not find it right away and I installed the regular Debian stretch. This computer has had several different Linux distro's on it in the past couple of years, and sometimes it works great out of the box, but not always. The computer is a old business system bought on E-Bay refurbished for $50 with Win7 Pro installed. (a Lenovo M58P). I installed a different video card because the integrated video did not work very well with Linux. I was somewhat limited in my choice of cards since I needed a low profile card, and I did not want to spend much on this old machine. I use a external DAC for sound.The only thing it does basically is run Media Center, and surf the web. Sometimes I load up a smartlist with several days worth of music and just let it play. That's what I like about the Linux version of MC. Windows will always stop somewhere along the line to install updates. Thanks for supporting Linux guys! 

ribroast

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 01:00:26 pm »

One more thing. When I set up miniDLNA on my server the first time years ago, I chose album.jpg for my cover art files. I now have thousands of files with that naming convention, but I have since added folder.jpg to my configuration. MC can find the folder.jpg files automatically, but I still have to chase down the ones that are named differently. Most of the time the cover art is there in the folder with the songs but I have to tell MC to use them. When I browse the DLNA on my server from Android all of the cover art is there for the most part. In the miniDLNA config file you can define multiple naming conventions to look for separated by coma's. It would be nice if MC had something like that. I don't know why I do this, but I pretty much use MC for music only, and I import the songs from a mounted folder on my server. The miniDLNA is used mainly for video, but it indexes music as well. Actually, I've had a problem with miniDLNA from time to time and it could take me a couple of days to figure out and correct the problem. (I am getting better at it though) Importing the files like I do is very reliable, once you get the mount working properly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up