INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing 32 bit MediaCenter 23 on older debian like distros  (Read 5507 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Installing 32 bit MediaCenter 23 on older debian like distros
« on: August 29, 2017, 01:07:24 pm »

Since distro's like Ubuntu 16.04 are older than debian stable so some of their libraries are incompatible with the the current AMD64 (x86_64) build.
In this case you can install the 32 bit build of MediaCenter23 which is built on the previous Debian Stable (Jessie) without any performance loss.

Update September 2017: We backed the 64 bit build off to Jessie so it now installs on Ubuntu 16.04. You don't need to run 32bit on there.

To do this, following the instructions in the sticky post about installing the apt repositories, you should use the LATEST repo instructions.
Install the key if you haven't already:
wget -q "http://dist.jriver.com/mediacenter@jriver.com.gpg.key" -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Purge any amd64 builds you tried to install:
dpkg --purge mediacenter23:amd64

Remove any prior mediacenter23 repository entries:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mediacenter23*

Add the current latest repo:
sudo wget http://dist.jriver.com/latest/mediacenter/mediacenter23.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mediacenter23.list

Update the repo and install the 32 bit build of mediacenter23:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mediacenter23:i386

This will install MediaCenter23 and ALMOST all of it's dependencies however there are a couple missing from MediaCenter23's list that you also need to install:

sudo apt-get install libunistring0:i386 libgomp1:i386

You will now be able to run MediaCenter 23 as a regular user (not root please).

proximuss

• Recent member
Re: Installing 32 bit MediaCenter 23 on older debian like distros
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 01:36:31 pm »

Thanks Bob, appreciate your help here!
One remark - this all works if you add 64 bit LATEST repository, not 32 bit LATEST.
If you go with 32bit LATEST, then mediacenter23:i386 is not there!
Now - will deal with licence install and then will see how everything works!

Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 01:50:37 pm »

Thanks Bob, appreciate your help here!
One remark - this all works if you add 64 bit LATEST repository, not 32 bit LATEST.
If you go with 32bit LATEST, then mediacenter23:i386 is not there!
Now - will deal with licence install and then will see how everything works!

Thanks.
I edited that latest mediacenter23.list file so it's good for 32 and 64 bit and updated the instructions above, thanks!

proximuss

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 02:01:40 pm »

Couple of things i've noticed already running 32 bit version are:
1) time to time i get a crash with only one sentence left in terminal -  "segmentation fault";
2) there is no way i can see a mounted samba share when i am choosing a location for my library. If i remember correctly in 64bit version it was appearing in file browser left panel.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 02:33:33 pm »

Couple of things i've noticed already running 32 bit version are:
1) time to time i get a crash with only one sentence left in terminal -  "segmentation fault";
This could be a bad file. You could turn on logging to find out.
It might also be something odd on your network, perhaps turn off Media Network to test.
2) there is no way i can see a mounted samba share when i am choosing a location for my library. If i remember correctly in 64bit version it was appearing in file browser left panel.
I'll test this but it's unlikely to be a mounted share. The files in a mounted share are like any other file. It's more likely an unmounted share.
Doing a df -k from a prompt would tell the tale...

proximuss

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 02:43:23 pm »

Yep, will try to catch those crashes in a log file, right now i am more bothered that i cannot select a mounted share from Browse window's left side as i do it in nautilus. The way I mounted it - in nautilus clicked on Network, selected the share and entered my password. Now in nautilus i have it on left side. But when i try to select a folder from MC23's library location browse window - there is no share listed. This was not the case with 64bit as i remember, there it showed up properly. Yes, df -k doesn't list it. Wondering how it should be mounted then? I always was accessing it through nautilus. Thanks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 02:50:35 pm »

Yep, will try to catch those crashes in a log file, right now i am more bothered that i cannot select a mounted share from Browse window's left side as i do it in nautilus. The way I mounted it - in nautilus clicked on Network, selected the share and entered my password. Now in nautilus i have it on left side. But when i try to select a folder from MC23's library location browse window - there is no share listed. This was not the case with 64bit as i remember, there it showed up properly. Yes, df -k doesn't list it. Wondering how it should be mounted then? I always was accessing it through nautilus. Thanks
Accessing stuff through Nautilus doesn't actually mount the share. MC can't use remote filesystems unless they are mounted.
There are several references to this in the forum and how to automount network shares upon boot or with a script starting MC or in the properties of the desktop entry you use to run MC. In linux there are almost infinite ways to do this.

Anyway to test this I simply did this from a command line:

mount.cifs //linux/tmp /mnt

Which mounted my linux tmp share onto the /mnt directory. Worked straight off. MC could browse the files then by going to the filesystem in the file browser and selecting mnt.

proximuss

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 03:01:55 pm »

alright, all set now! automount done through /etc/fstabs
now i am wondering whether DLNA 1.5 actually supports my 24/96 flac files, yeah, it plays, but i am suspicious that it is being downgraded during the playback. Hmmm... Receiver itself was playing them when feeded through coaxial input, but now with DLNA, i am bit worried. Unfortunately the location of audio gear and my pc doesnt allow me to make cable connections so the DLNA is the only choice for me here.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 03:05:08 pm »

If you're playing to MC as a DLNA Renderer, it may be getting converted.  Check the conversion settings for the DLNA Server.

proximuss

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately it converts down to 44khz and that's the best my receiver can do, errgh! :/

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 03:16:55 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately it converts down to 44khz and that's the best my receiver can do, errgh! :/
You could try turning off the conversion in the DLNA server settings and see if the receiver can handle them.
Even if it can't you can always play with the output format in DSP studio under advanced in the DLNA server settings to tweak the output to whatever sample rates the receiver DOES support...

proximuss

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 12:51:56 am »

In conversion settings i've left Original (which as i understand means no conversion) but still, it plays 44khz instead of 24/96 and DSP is grayed out for DLNA so cannot play with it!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 08:38:56 am »

In conversion settings i've left Original (which as i understand means no conversion) but still, it plays 44khz instead of 24/96 and DSP is grayed out for DLNA so cannot play with it!
The setting of "Original Format" doesn't convert the file.
The DSP settings for DLNA are in the server settings not on the main DSP page.

Can you elaborate on your setup some more?
The files you are playing are on a share you are mounting on linux?
The linux computer is serving those files to the DLNA DAC, how exactly do you playback a file?
Pages: [1]   Go Up