INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The order of items in DSP  (Read 832 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
The order of items in DSP
« on: September 11, 2017, 02:42:59 am »

In a previous version, all items in DSP window were movable. This changed a good while ago and I understand the reasoning, except for 1 thing, the adaptive volume. I do not understand why this one has to be locked in place.

When adjusting filters, we now need to manually adjust the volume. I can prevent clipping by setting clip protection, but that is protection, a safety measure. When properly setup, that shouldn't be necessary.

In the past, I would set the adaptive volume after the filters, so that when I configured equalizer or other filters, adaptive volume was able to adjust for the changes. I always thought this was perfect, and it seemed to work. I didn't have to worry about it and let adaptive volume do the math for me.

In my mind, when I boost a freq by a static amount of 4 dB, but the peak in that frequency never reaches the point of clipping, even after boost, I wouldn't have to lower the entire volume by 4 dB for all frequencies to prevent clipping (because it wouldn't clip anyway, does that make sense?).

In other words, boosting or lowering a narrow frequency range by a static amount, doesn't always have to effect the overal volume of the output signal by that same amount. In my mind, it could be less, because that frequency is nowhere near peak levels, or isn't even present in a particular track at all. But maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. I'd like to understand how that works though.

In any case, having adaptive volume at the end and let it do the math for us seems to me like a better option.

I'm sure there must a good reason why you chose not to do it that way, I'm just trying to understand what it is, that's all :).

Thanks!

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: The order of items in DSP
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:20:11 am »

I do wish that everything was movable.
There are channel adjustments or VST plugins which need to work on the original multichannel source before downmixing is applied, yet downmixing is fixed in the top position on the list.
De-clipping plugins need to be applied before volume leveling etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up