INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Room Receiver Questions  (Read 2158 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Media Room Receiver Questions
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:29:39 pm »

My expertise is in 2 channel systems.  I have a great playback system and record music, always to mix to two channels.  I really know very little about surround and video stuff.  Even a center channel is new to me.  However, I find myself watching more movies and wondering what I can improve (answer: a lot, fact: trying to do it cheaply).

My current setup: JRiver > Benchmark DAC1 USB > Audio Research LS-22 > Audio Research 100.2 > Magnepan 12s.  I just added a sub that hangs off of the LS22's secondary pre-amp output.

My media room is fairly small (there's not more space around the TV for an extra set of L/R speakers, so I need to use my current Magnepans as the FL/ FR channels.  What I want to be able to do:

• When listening to music, my current setup cannot change.  I will not put a splitter in my feed for L/R listening.
  • I'd like to be able to have 3 audio output Activities:
    A) Music (current setup)
    B) Movies (5.1 surround)
    C) TV (audio through HDMI to my TV)

I want Activity C because when I'm watching sports, I don't really want to have my 100.2 running to power a set of Maggies.  Hearing the announcer on the TV is good enough :)

The 100.2 has two sets of inputs.  I can run another set of RCA cables from a receiver to get FL/FR audio.  I've found some fairly cheap receivers that has pre-outs as RCA, so I'm thinking I can run FL/FR as RCA outs to my 100.2 and then C, RL and RR out of the speaker outputs of the receiver.  I'm assuming I'd setup a Movie zone in MC to use HDMI output as 5.1.  But how would I setup Activity C?  Would I need another HDMI out on my HTPC so the receiver knew not to send 5.1 to all the speakers?  Or would I just have to change the receiver settings each time I swapped between Activities B & C?

Another basic question.  What about movies that don't have 5.1 sound packaged into them?  I have some old DVDs that are probably just L/R.  Does a receiver figure that out and deal with it?

I know some of these questions are probably quite basic, just have never had a real receiver before.  Thanks!

rec head

Re: Media Room Receiver Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:43:06 pm »

AVR's are smart enough to only play the format they are fed but give you the option to upmix. I'm really only familiar with Denons and once you choose what format you want for a input type it will remember. So you can have it always stay stereo for stereo or always apply Dolby Surround to stereo, etc. I understand staying true to stereo for music but for movies I upmix everything. The processors are really good at it. FYI  even if the soundtrack is only L/R it will usually be in a multi-channel container (DTS or Dolby). Your AVR might say it is getting DTS for example but it is only really getting a stereo mix. I think that a lot of broadcast TV is like this.

It sounds like what you are trying to do should work. Except for C. Switching from AVR to TV speakers can be a pain. It depends on your equipment. If it is just for sports you may want to consider... and I'm just throwing this out there... Just don't power on your external amp and only listen through the other 3 speakers. It might be fine it might suck but it is certainly easy to try.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Room Receiver Questions
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 06:47:49 pm »

Good point about not powering on the front speakers.  That could very well work with something like sports - or the back could just be crowd noise :)

Thanks for the advice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up