INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classical Box sets,how to organize?  (Read 3082 times)

eljr

• World Citizen
Classical Box sets,how to organize?
« on: September 22, 2017, 01:41:01 pm »

In this pic you can see that I have one 10 disc set (Philip Glass) as 9 different albums.

I want them as one album, retaining the artwork for each individual disc.

-------------------------------------------------

Asked another way, here is a pic of a 2 disc album which is how I want Classical collections except that I need artwork for each disc be differant.

I don't want this for multiple discs.

How can this be done?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Classical Box sets,how to organize?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:27:35 pm »

I don't think it's possible to have different artwork at two different levels for Audio files.  TV Shows have the Series and Season concept so that Seasons can have their own art, or even the entire Series.  But I don't think you can do that with Audio files.

You could try it and see.

Otherwise, you can certainly create a custom field for box set or something like that and use that as a top level organizational tool.  But I don't think it will allow you to list all of the albums in a box set together, as you've shown in your screen shot.  It would be more like the navigation that you do in the Artists view:  First you'd find the box set and double click on it.  Then you'd see the albums within those box sets.  Then click on one or more of them to see songs.

Maybe someone else has a more clever idea for this.

Brian.

DJLegba

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 05:09:26 pm »

I created a tag named "BoxedSet", and populate the tag with the name of the set. Then I created a view with Boxed Set and then Album as the categories, and limit the view to albums with a non-empty BoxedSet tag. It looks like this:

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:11:07 am »

I created a tag named "BoxedSet", and populate the tag with the name of the set. Then I created a view with Boxed Set and then Album as the categories, and limit the view to albums with a non-empty BoxedSet tag. It looks like this:

This may do, but to start, how do I create a tag named "Boxset?"

within the Boxset, what does it look like?

can I then use individual album art for each album?

can I then play all albums as an album? 

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 07:21:50 am »

This may do, but to start, how do I create a tag named "Boxset?"

within the Boxset, what does it look like?

can I then use individual album art for each album?

can I then play all albums as an album?

Create the tag using Tools | Options | Library & Folders | Manage Library Fields

You can certainly use individual album art, and you can play everything in a set with a single click.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 09:14:44 am »

Create the tag using Tools | Options | Library & Folders | Manage Library Fields

You can certainly use individual album art, and you can play everything in a set with a single click.

thanks agian

I really appreciate your time.

I created a tag called BoxSet.

I then (see my pic above) added the tag Philip Glass, The Symphonies for BoxedSet.

JRiver then created a new category called, "Albums Copy" and under that is "all boxed sets."

So now I can put all the Glass albums in one Boxed set but I can not play one album from this set at a time. If I switch views I still have the individual album view as posted above, with differing artwork per album but in the new view, it's just one long 10 album list that I can only play movements individually from.

(Plus all albums not in "boxedset" are in one giant "boxset.")

View I created below. I am guessing I did something incorrect. 

DJLegba

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:20:59 am »

I've attached a screen shot of how I customized my view. To exclude the items not in a boxed set, add the rule that the tag must not be empty.

In my view presentation, when I hover over the boxed set I see links for Play | Album | File. Clicking Play will put all the albums in the Playing Now queue. Clicking Album will drill down into the view showing the albums in the set.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 03:12:49 pm »

I've attached a screen shot of how I customized my view. To exclude the items not in a boxed set, add the rule that the tag must not be empty.

In my view presentation, when I hover over the boxed set I see links for Play | Album | File. Clicking Play will put all the albums in the Playing Now queue. Clicking Album will drill down into the view showing the albums in the set.

I tried, got real close but nada. I had to stop for the day, the frustration is too tiring.

It went wrong trying to duplicate your last screen shot.  :(

DJLegba

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 04:40:51 pm »

Sometimes it helps to take a break and approach the problem again with a fresh eye. Next time, instead of modifying the view you've been working on, right-click on the Albums view, select customize, add the BoxedSet category, move it up ahead of Albums, then click Set rules for file display and add the rule that the BoxedSet field is not empty. When you click OK MC will warn you against modifying a standard view. At this point save it as a new view named Boxed Sets (or a variation on that if you've already got an attempt at a Boxed Sets view).

I think the problem may be that the "View as" setting is Panes instead of Categories. If you get stuck, post a screen shot of the view customization dialog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up