INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to JRiver: DSD, Bitstream, 3D MVC, Netflix/Amazon Prime  (Read 2756 times)

EB1000

New to JRiver: DSD, Bitstream, 3D MVC, Netflix/Amazon Prime
« on: September 29, 2017, 04:48:49 pm »

Hello

I've been a long time kodi user. Now considering moving to JRiver. I've downloaded and installed the latest version (trial, windows 10). JRiver 23 installed on my HTPC (Core i5, 8GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti). I'm connected to my AV receiver via HDMI (Yamaha RX-A2070). I set up video as red october HQ, audio HDMI WASAPI (it shows RX-A2070 on Nvidia etc), disabled all sound DSP setting in JRiver. Here are my newbee questions:

1. DSD (DSF, DFF): My AV receiver support DSD up to 5.8MHz including multi channel via HDMI. When I try to play a DFF file in JRiver, I get error that my hardware does not support 384kHz at 64bit using WASAPI or something like that. DFF files can only be played when jriver decodes them into PCM. But my reciever does support DSD when I play a SA-CD using my old Sony BD player (DSD audio decoding lights up). What am I missing here?

2. It seems that JRiver does not support any time of bit-streaming. No such settings exists. I play a DD or DTS-MA files, they are decoded (correctly) by JRiver and output as multi-channel PCM. A more bigger problem, is when playing Dolby Atmos BD-ISO's, all I get is 7.1 PCM, no Atmos, since no bit-streaming available. How do I enable bitstreaming including Atmos/DTS:X?I doubt that JRiver decoder can do a better job than my Yamaha AVR.

3. Can JRiver support 3D MVC? When I play such file, it only plays in 2D.

4. I currently watch Netflix (4k) and Amazon Prime using my Sony Android TV. I was hopping to finally be able to use my HTPC for these two video services. Can this be done by JRiver? Are there any official Netflix/Amazon JRiver addons/plug-ins?

If I can get at least 2 out of the mentioned problems resolved, I'll defiantly buy a JRiver licence.

Thanks

Eli 

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New to JRiver: DSD, Bitstream, 3D MVC, Netflix/Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 05:03:57 pm »

1. DSD (DSF, DFF): My AV receiver support DSD up to 5.8MHz including multi channel via HDMI. When I try to play a DFF file in JRiver, I get error that my hardware does not support 384kHz at 64bit using WASAPI or something like that. DFF files can only be played when jriver decodes them into PCM. But my reciever does support DSD when I play a SA-CD using my old Sony BD player (DSD audio decoding lights up). What am I missing here?

Unfortunately, PCs cannot output DSD over HDMI. At least I don't know anything that can do it or how it would work. The graphics card, which runs the HDMI port, doesn't support DSD, as far as I am aware.

2. It seems that JRiver does not support any time of bit-streaming. No such settings exists. I play a DD or DTS-MA files, they are decoded (correctly) by JRiver and output as multi-channel PCM. A more bigger problem, is when playing Dolby Atmos BD-ISO's, all I get is 7.1 PCM, no Atmos, since no bit-streaming available. How do I enable bitstreaming including Atmos/DTS:X?I doubt that JRiver decoder can do a better job than my Yamaha AVR.

Its here:
Options -> Audio -> Settings -> Bitstreaming

Generally, we recommend decoding in Media Center not because it does a better job at decoding (decoding itself is bit-exact for things like DTS-HD MA and TrueHD though), but because of all other tools MC offers. From simple things like volume control and volume leveling, to room correction or video clock, or full blown convolution. But we still support bitstreaming all the same.

3. Can JRiver support 3D MVC? When I play such file, it only plays in 2D.

Here is a rundown of requirements for 3D playback and the settings to enable it:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,103931.0.html

Windows 10 appears to have some issues for some people properly activating 3D playback, which may depend on which NVIDIA driver version you're using. Unfortunately that whole situation is a bit screwed up on the driver side.
On the other hand, it seems to work just fine for many others, so here is hoping. :)

4. I currently watch Netflix (4k) and Amazon Prime using my Sony Android TV. I was hopping to finally be able to use my HTPC for these two video services. Can this be done by JRiver? Are there any official Netflix/Amazon JRiver addons/plug-ins?

Unfortunately, Netflix or Amazon are not interested in allowing PC players like Media Center to develop plugins to consume their media. Their DRM restrictions make that impossible, as much as we would love to be able to do that.
I would personally develop such a thing if I could.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

EB1000

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 05:20:44 pm »

Thank you so much for the timely reply. As for DSD, since the settings are there in JRiver, I assume it's possible on some other hardware platforms, other than a PC. Can you please provide a quick list of other hardware platforms that can allow DSD bitstreaming? (will bitstreaming DSD so the Receiver's internal DSD DAC handles the decoding, give any sonic advantage over letting JRiver handle the DSD-PCM conversion)?

Thanks

Thanks

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 05:23:17 pm »

DSD bitstreaming is generally supported for various USB DACs. Bitstreaming DSD is only a real advantage if your DAC is an actual DSD DAC (which are rare) - if your receiver just does a DSD to PCM conversion anyway, it'll probably end up quite the same. Its highly doubtful a home theater receiver would have both a PCM DAC and a DSD DAC, its extremely likely it would perform a DSD to PCM conversion internally.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rec head

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 05:28:15 pm »

I would say I'm barely an intermediate user and I was able to set up different "Zones" for ATMOS and DTSX and everything else. That way I get the bitstreamed ATMOS and get all the advantages of JRiver for everything else. MC's Zones aren't like the Zones on an AVR.

I was also able to set up 3D playback of files ripped in MakeMKV. Only problem is that it works great until Microsoft or Nvidea change something and you need to remember what you did in the first place.

In general using the TV/streaming boxes is way easier than using the HTPC. I gave up on that years ago.

So those first 2 things are possible if you want to put in the time to figure them out. It might be confusing but it can be done.

sandrei

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 11:59:23 pm »

Hendrik, with all due respect I disagree with your assertion about DSD DAC presence in receivers. The latest versions of the Sony receivers (let's not forget that Sony invented the format) do include DSD decoders. I personally tested the STR-DN1070 and 1080. The models even include a "DSD native" button to listen the disks that were recorded directly on DSD technology (because most of the SACD disks in the market were recorded in PCM format and converted to DSD). The only problem is that the decoder can be accessed only through HDMI, not on the network. The DTS decoder can be accessed through network all right. So no JRiver or any other network program will access the DSD decoder from these receivers via network, there are some DAC's that can decode DSD via USB from the computer.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 01:13:26 am »

Those Sony's are quite the exception then, though. One company doing that (and it being Sony) doesn't really invalidate that. Not to mention that a PC apparently couldn't use it, so its of no big help to us.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up