INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please: MC23 crashes trying to update Pono  (Read 2523 times)

captainsemtex

Help please: MC23 crashes trying to update Pono
« on: October 01, 2017, 02:39:36 am »

I've been happily using my Pono player for some time but rarely update my library. After many, many months I decided to update my library with all my new music purchases only to discover that the Pono world has imploded!!

My Pono Music World 2.0 (aka JRiver MC) has timed out and will no longer work and I'm disappointed to see that the unusable rubbish PMV software is still at v1.1.

So it looks like I am forced to have to drop $50 for JRiver MC just to sync my library with Pono? Can an upgrade code be used... or is there a crippled version of JRiver MC that only works with audio files?

Anyway, I downloaded the 30 day trial for JRiver MC 23.0.62 and transferred over my library from PMW 2.0. When I connect my Pono it is correctly recognised and when I click "Sync" it correctly identifies all the music on Pono and indicates the ~90 songs that need to be sync'd. However, MC23 never syncs more than 20 songs before it randomly stops mid sync. When I then click on "Cancel Sync" MC23 crashes. Even Task Manager won't kill it! I have to reboot my machine.

The number of songs that sync before the crash happens is random... sometimes, 10, or 12, or 17 but never more than 20. It also always crashes on a different song.

I watched the resource monitor but there is only disk and network IO... CPU and RAM are fine. Pono itself still has over 2.7Gb free and estimated 1Gb AFTER the sync... so space is not a problem.

I used the logging feature in JRiver and have logs (attached) but cannot see anything obvious. The log starts when I click "Sync" to when MC23 stops uploading at 41% on the 12th song, "Let's Begin".

Any help appreciated.

Kind Regards

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: Help please: MC23 crashes trying to update Pono
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 06:10:07 am »

Try letting it run.  If it's showing in Task Manager, it's running.  That's a freeze, not a crash.

Use Alt Tab to see if there is a message behind the main window.

Try dragging a file or two to it.

captainsemtex

Re: Help please: MC23 crashes trying to update Pono
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:26:25 pm »

Thank you JimH for your suggestions.

I already had let it run... for several hours, multiple times.

You are correct that MC23 doesn't crash when uploading to Pono... it hangs. It only crashes when I click "Cancel Sync".

However, MC23 starts full screen for me and your Alt-Tab idea got me thinking. Alt-tab itself often does not work for pop-up windows but I made MC23 a window rather than full screen and tried again so that I could then see any pop-ups... except this time it worked perfectly!!!

I cannot believe that just changing from full screen to a window solved the problem... so I will do some more tests. Nevertheless, thank you very much for your fast response and help.

Separately, are you aware of codes that will allow PMW 2.0 users to upgrade to JRiver MC please?

Kind Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up